Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Can JPEG Numbers Be Printed on Tabs of 4x6" Paper?

Can JPEG Numbers Be Printed on Tabs of 4x6" Paper?

Morton

Hi,

I have a question concerning H-P 4x6" inkjet photo paper. I notice that
a bit of each photo is printed onto the removable tab. I have difficulty
keeping track of large numbers of prints, e.g. vacation photos
distributed to friends and family. Is there any way to have my H-P photo
printer print each photo's JPEG number onto that tab? It would be very
helpful indeed.

Thanks.

Morton

Jürgen Exner

Morton wrote:
> [...] Is there any way to have my
> H-P photo printer print each photo's JPEG number onto that tab? It
> would be very helpful indeed.

What on earth is a JPEG number?

jue

Charles

"Jürgen Exner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Morton wrote:
>> [...] Is there any way to have my
>> H-P photo printer print each photo's JPEG number onto that tab? It
>> would be very helpful indeed.

> What on earth is a JPEG number?

File name?

Morton

Jürgen Exner wrote:
> Morton wrote:
>> [...] Is there any way to have my
>> H-P photo printer print each photo's JPEG number onto that tab? It
>> would be very helpful indeed.

> What on earth is a JPEG number?
>
> jue

In a digital camera that used the JPEG software method, each photograph
has a discrete JPEG number, by which each photo can be identified. This
remains fixed, even though its frame number will change as deletions or
additions are made.It is like that photo's finger print, so to speak.

Morton

Marvin

Morton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question concerning H-P 4x6" inkjet photo paper. I notice that
> a bit of each photo is printed onto the removable tab. I have difficulty
> keeping track of large numbers of prints, e.g. vacation photos
> distributed to friends and family. Is there any way to have my H-P photo
> printer print each photo's JPEG number onto that tab? It would be very
> helpful indeed.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Morton

The purpose of the tab is to hold the paper in place in the
printer while the printing takes place. There is no
allowance for printing on it. But you could put the paper
in again, turned 180 deg., and print what you want in that area.

Morton

Marvin wrote:
> Morton wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a question concerning H-P 4x6" inkjet photo paper. I notice
>> that a bit of each photo is printed onto the removable tab. I have
>> difficulty keeping track of large numbers of prints, e.g. vacation
>> photos distributed to friends and family. Is there any way to have my
>> H-P photo printer print each photo's JPEG number onto that tab? It
>> would be very helpful indeed.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Morton

> The purpose of the tab is to hold the paper in place in the printer
> while the printing takes place. There is no allowance for printing on
> it. But you could put the paper in again, turned 180 deg., and print
> what you want in that area.

Thanks for the reply. If the tab is to hold the paper in place, instead
of for writing notes on it with pen, then what holds the 4x6" tabless
paper in place?

Morton

ASAAR

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 19:56:50 GMT, Jürgen Exner wrote:

>> [...] Is there any way to have my
>> H-P photo printer print each photo's JPEG number onto that tab? It
>> would be very helpful indeed.

> What on earth is a JPEG number?

If you've taken many similar pictures and have given some to
family and friends, it would be nice for them to have some foolproof
way of identifying particular prints, if they should want more. So
instead of saying "It was the shot that had two yellow flowers in
it", they could say "It had DSC_2081.JPG" printed on the tab.

Ron Hunter

ASAAR wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 19:56:50 GMT, Jürgen Exner wrote:
>
>>> [...] Is there any way to have my
>>> H-P photo printer print each photo's JPEG number onto that tab? It
>>> would be very helpful indeed.

>> What on earth is a JPEG number?

> If you've taken many similar pictures and have given some to
> family and friends, it would be nice for them to have some foolproof
> way of identifying particular prints, if they should want more. So
> instead of saying "It was the shot that had two yellow flowers in
> it", they could say "It had DSC_2081.JPG" printed on the tab.

That is the price one pays for the current trend toward 'borderless'
prints. Those borders could be used for notations. I rather liked the
prints from Fox back in the 1950's because they had a month and year on
each picture front, and the number of the negative on the back.

Jürgen Exner

ASAAR wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 19:56:50 GMT, Jürgen Exner wrote:
>
>>> [...] Is there any way to have my
>>> H-P photo printer print each photo's JPEG number onto that tab? It
>>> would be very helpful indeed.

>> What on earth is a JPEG number?

> If you've taken many similar pictures and have given some to
> family and friends, it would be nice for them to have some foolproof
> way of identifying particular prints, if they should want more. So
> instead of saying "It was the shot that had two yellow flowers in
> it", they could say "It had DSC_2081.JPG" printed on the tab.

So you believe the OP was just talking about the file name? Possible.
Maybe you are a better mind reader than me. Even after his additional
explanation I couldn't figure out what he was talking about.

jue

ASAAR

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 21:59:34 GMT, Jürgen Exner wrote:

> So you believe the OP was just talking about the file name? Possible.
> Maybe you are a better mind reader than me. Even after his additional
> explanation I couldn't figure out what he was talking about.

It might have been made clearer, but I think that what the OP
meant by the changing "frame number" is just the number that some
cameras show on the LCD display. So if ten pictures are taken with
a brand new camera, it might have ten 'jpeg' numbers, from say
DSC_0001.JPG through DSC_0010.JPG, and frame numbers 1 through 10.
If DSC_0008 is deleted, DSC_0009.JPG and DSC_0010.JPG would be have
their frame numbers of 9 and 10 reassigned to 8 and 9, but the 'DSC'
type 'jpeg' numbers would, as the OP said, remain fixed.