Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Memory Organization

Memory Organization

Just D.

I see in many Internet sources that all 32-bit systems are having
limitations and can't address above 2 GB limit for the user application
reserving 2 GB more for the system. There are some tricks to expand the user
space like this:

http://blogs.technet.com/marcelofart...hat-basic.aspx

and this:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...AE/pae_os.mspx

There are other articles like this:

http://www.oreillynet.com/windows/bl...s_2gb_cac.html

telling that this 2 GB limit is per application and each application can use
2 GB is started in a separate application process.

Well, what about .NET applications? If we wrote the ASPX web application and
the same application can be started from different Virtual Directories on
the same Windows 2000 Advanced Server? Some of these Virtual Directories are
configured to be started in a Isolated Mode. What's happening in this case?
All these apps are .NET 1.1 applications. Does that mean that .NET using by
each application is using its separate .NET instance in memory with the
appropriate address space? Or .NET is the only one instance in the system
and all NET apps are dependent and use only one address space? I guess I
don't understand something.

The server is configured to use /PAE. We also tried /3GB. The RAM is not an
issue, it's more than enough. But anyway we're getting some troubles getting
System.OutOfMemory exception. The Task Manager shows that aspnet_wp.exe
takes 700-800 MB, not higher. Is there some other limit that we're not aware
about? Yes, the app uses RAM to store the user's data, it works with the
database via ADO.NET. MS SQL Server 2000 is isolated.

What else can be done to avoid this System.OutOfMemory exception except
migrating to Win64 system?

Just D.

bruce barker

with win2000 and asp.net 1.1 there is one worker processes running all
asp.net applications. if you upgrade to 2003 & asp.net 2.0, you can have
a worker process (pool) for each application.

if you run 2000/asp.net with the /3gb switch, you must also update the
machine config to use the extra memory. be sure sure to get all service
packs. you should dedicate the machine to asp.net and not run anything
else, or the OS may run out of memory (it still needs to alloc page
descripters for all allocated pages).

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Just D. wrote:
> I see in many Internet sources that all 32-bit systems are having
> limitations and can't address above 2 GB limit for the user application
> reserving 2 GB more for the system. There are some tricks to expand the user
> space like this:
>
> http://blogs.technet.com/marcelofart...hat-basic.aspx
>
> and this:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...AE/pae_os.mspx
>
> There are other articles like this:
>
> http://www.oreillynet.com/windows/bl...s_2gb_cac.html
>
> telling that this 2 GB limit is per application and each application can use
> 2 GB is started in a separate application process.
>
> Well, what about .NET applications? If we wrote the ASPX web application and
> the same application can be started from different Virtual Directories on
> the same Windows 2000 Advanced Server? Some of these Virtual Directories are
> configured to be started in a Isolated Mode. What's happening in this case?
> All these apps are .NET 1.1 applications. Does that mean that .NET using by
> each application is using its separate .NET instance in memory with the
> appropriate address space? Or .NET is the only one instance in the system
> and all NET apps are dependent and use only one address space? I guess I
> don't understand something.
>
> The server is configured to use /PAE. We also tried /3GB. The RAM is not an
> issue, it's more than enough. But anyway we're getting some troubles getting
> System.OutOfMemory exception. The Task Manager shows that aspnet_wp.exe
> takes 700-800 MB, not higher. Is there some other limit that we're not aware
> about? Yes, the app uses RAM to store the user's data, it works with the
> database via ADO.NET. MS SQL Server 2000 is isolated.
>
> What else can be done to avoid this System.OutOfMemory exception except
> migrating to Win64 system?
>
> Just D.

Just D.

"bruce barker"
> with win2000 and asp.net 1.1 there is one worker processes running all
> asp.net applications. if you upgrade to 2003 & asp.net 2.0, you can have a
> worker process (pool) for each application.
>
> if you run 2000/asp.net with the /3gb switch, you must also update the
> machine config to use the extra memory. be sure sure to get all service
> packs. you should dedicate the machine to asp.net and not run anything
> else, or the OS may run out of memory (it still needs to alloc page
> descripters for all allocated pages).

> -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Bruce,

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, we're using 32-bit Windows 2000 Advanced Server with all service packs
installed. I guess there is a big difference between just Win2000 and
Win2000 Advanced Server, but maybe I'm wrong. Could you confirm please that
there is one worker process running all .NET 1.1 applications including Web
Services and Web Apps? Maybe you know some web links to read about this
particular case?

Just D.

Mark Rae [MVP]

"Just D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Yes, we're using 32-bit Windows 2000 Advanced Server with all service
> packs installed.

Just as an aside, you do know that mainstream support for Win2k ended over
two years ago, don't you...?
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecyc...ilter=FilterNO

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

Just D.

"Mark Rae [MVP]"

>> Yes, we're using 32-bit Windows 2000 Advanced Server with all service
>> packs installed.

> Just as an aside, you do know that mainstream support for Win2k ended over
> two years ago, don't you...?
> http://support.microsoft.com/lifecyc...ilter=FilterNO

Mark, what about Extended Support Retired? The date is 7/13/2010.

Just D.

Mark Rae [MVP]

"Just D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Mark, what about Extended Support Retired? The date is 7/13/2010.

You got plenty of cash, then...?

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

Just D.

"Mark Rae [MVP]"

>> Mark, what about Extended Support Retired? The date is 7/13/2010.

> You got plenty of cash, then...?

Not sure if it works in this case, but our company is official MS partner.
We receive CD/DVD from MS on the regular basis.

Just D.

Damien

On Jul 5, 11:08 pm, bruce barker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> with win2000 and asp.net 1.1 there is one worker processes running all
> asp.net applications. if you upgrade to 2003 & asp.net 2.0, you can have
> a worker process (pool) for each application.
>
> if you run 2000/asp.net with the /3gb switch, you must also update the
> machine config to use the extra memory. be sure sure to get all service
> packs. you should dedicate the machine to asp.net and not run anything
> else, or the OS may run out of memory (it still needs to alloc page
> descripters for all allocated pages).
>
> -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Hi Bruce,

Just a quick correction here - the move to 2003, to gain application
pools with separate worker processes does not require the
corresponding move to 2.0. You can happily run multiple 1.1 apps in
separate application pools. It's the setup I've got here.

(Course, the above isn't really on topic for the OPs question, for
which I apologise)

Damien

Mark Rae [MVP]

"Just D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Mark Rae [MVP]"
>
>>> Mark, what about Extended Support Retired? The date is 7/13/2010.

>> You got plenty of cash, then...?

> Not sure if it works in this case, but our company is official MS partner.

That will not give you Extended Support...

> We receive CD/DVD from MS on the regular basis.

LOL! Of course you do But you still don't get Extended Support on
products where mainstream support has been retired.

As it stands, unless you have specifically purchased Extended Support for
Win2k, you're running on a totally unsupported platform...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP