Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Installing Windows 2000 Server

Installing Windows 2000 Server

=?Utf-8?B?RC4gWW91bmc=?=

I'm trying to install Windows 2000 Server on a new PC. I'm using an MSI K8N
Platinum Mobo, 1GB Ram, 160GB Sata Drive, AM64 3400+ Processor.
The problem is when the install gets to Installing & detecting devices; It
hangs there.

Any suggestions anyone?

Neil

did you hear "=?Utf-8?B?RC4gWW91bmc=?="
<(E-Mail Removed)> say in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I'm trying to install Windows 2000 Server on a new PC. I'm using an
> MSI K8N Platinum Mobo, 1GB Ram, 160GB Sata Drive, AM64 3400+
> Processor. The problem is when the install gets to Installing &
> detecting devices; It hangs there.
>
> Any suggestions anyone?

Hardware compatibility list...

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?

meanoldman

I don't know why there would be a problem. I've got the 939 version of that
board at home and it installs xp just fine. Xp and 2003 have the same
driver lists so I don't think it would be a HCL issue. Is this your first
os installation on this system?

news:Xns962A84B91B9Bneilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.16 ...
> did you hear "=?Utf-8?B?RC4gWW91bmc=?="
> <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I'm trying to install Windows 2000 Server on a new PC. I'm using an
>> MSI K8N Platinum Mobo, 1GB Ram, 160GB Sata Drive, AM64 3400+
>> Processor. The problem is when the install gets to Installing &
>> detecting devices; It hangs there.
>>
>> Any suggestions anyone?
>>

> Hardware compatibility list...
>
> --
> Neil MCNGP#30
>
> - Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?

Briscobar

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
meanoldman <(E-Mail Removed)> rambled:
> I don't know why there would be a problem. I've got the 939 version
> of that board at home and it installs xp just fine. Xp and 2003 have
> the same driver lists so I don't think it would be a HCL issue. Is
> this your first os installation on this system?

He's installing 2000, not 2003. So it very well could be the HCL...maybe
it's the fact that the drive's SATA?

--

KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

Briscobar AT gmail DOT com

www.mcngp.com claims to have seen the Loch Ness monster on several
occasions.

JaR

> did you hear "=?Utf-8?B?RC4gWW91bmc=?="
> <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I'm trying to install Windows 2000 Server on a new PC. I'm using an
>> MSI K8N Platinum Mobo, 1GB Ram, 160GB Sata Drive, AM64 3400+
>> Processor. The problem is when the install gets to Installing &
>> detecting devices; It hangs there.
>>
>> Any suggestions anyone?
>>

> Hardware compatibility list...

Do you have any other hardware installed?

--
JaR
Thug 10110

Neil

did you hear "Briscobar" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> So it very well could be the HCL.

if there is an install issue I usually look up the hardware in teh HCL
regardless of everything else unless there is some overriding reason not
to.

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- The easiest way to find something lost around the house is to buy a
replacement.

=?Utf-8?B?RC4gWW91bmc=?=

I'm using the Socket 754 version. It is the first install. The mobo has all
integrated devices except the video. I have an (AGP) ATI Radeon 9200 series
installed. I replaced the video card with a pci card and same result. 2003
server installs fine.

"meanoldman" wrote:

> I don't know why there would be a problem. I've got the 939 version of that
> board at home and it installs xp just fine. Xp and 2003 have the same
> driver lists so I don't think it would be a HCL issue. Is this your first
> os installation on this system?

> news:Xns962A84B91B9Bneilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.16 ...
> > did you hear "=?Utf-8?B?RC4gWW91bmc=?="
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
> > news:(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> >> I'm trying to install Windows 2000 Server on a new PC. I'm using an
> >> MSI K8N Platinum Mobo, 1GB Ram, 160GB Sata Drive, AM64 3400+
> >> Processor. The problem is when the install gets to Installing &
> >> detecting devices; It hangs there.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions anyone?
> >>

> > Hardware compatibility list...
> >
> > --
> > Neil MCNGP#30
> >
> > - Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?

Neil

did you hear "=?Utf-8?B?RC4gWW91bmc=?=" <(E-Mail Removed)>
say in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> 2003
> server installs fine.

porbably non-supported HW on Win2000 is the issue. My recommendation would
be to run XP on it and run VPC to test stuff like Win2000. That would give
you a supported platform to play in. My 2

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- No, Scotty, I said, "Beam me ABOARD," not "A BROAD."

peter

Try to go to BIOS and disable all the other stuff on board-sound, wi-fi,
whatever U got. Check on HCL list for SATA HD, maybe check for new driver
for it

=?Utf-8?B?Q29uc3VsdGFudA==?=

"D. Young" wrote:

> I'm trying to install Windows 2000 Server on a new PC. I'm using an MSI K8N
> Platinum Mobo, 1GB Ram, 160GB Sata Drive, AM64 3400+ Processor.
> The problem is when the install gets to Installing & detecting devices; It
> hangs there.
>
> Any suggestions anyone?

A new install of W2K Server doesn't understand the 160 gig disk unless you
have a slipstreamed CD. You need to create a partition smaller than 137GiB
install the server, install the latest service pack and then bump the
partition size up with partition magic or similar program. Alternately you
can just make a D drive with the free space over 137GiB. It is a
combination hardware and windows driver problem and you can't unstall the
drivers until later in the install cycle hence the hang. You would probably
see the same problem in an original XP home or pro disk. Server 2003
probably does not have the problem as MS knew what was coming by then.

----
I'm not consultant this web poster sux.

The Shadow.