Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > redirect on every request

redirect on every request

Paul

I've enabled http-compression on a server and was profiling the site
with fiddler. I noticed that every request to any asp.net site on the
server seems to return a 302 page before returning a 200. The 302 page
is never shown, and is less than 1kb, but is this normal behaviour for
asp.net? or is there something misconfigured on the server?

Thanks.

Paul

On 5 Jul, 15:15, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've enabled http-compression on a server and was profiling the site
> with fiddler. I noticed that every request to any asp.net site on the
> server seems to return a 302 page before returning a 200. The 302 page
> is never shown, and is less than 1kb, but is this normal behaviour for
> asp.net? or is there something misconfigured on the server?
>
> Thanks.

Sorry, thaty should be 301:

HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Permanently

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

This is normal, I believe. When a compressed page is requested, IIS has to
determine if the browser supports compression or not. If not, it will serve
the page; if so, it will server the compressed page. I believe the 301 is
used when compression is allowed and it is the "redirect" that sends the
browser to the compressed bits.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think outside the box!
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I've enabled http-compression on a server and was profiling the site
> with fiddler. I noticed that every request to any asp.net site on the
> server seems to return a 302 page before returning a 200. The 302 page
> is never shown, and is less than 1kb, but is this normal behaviour for
> asp.net? or is there something misconfigured on the server?
>
> Thanks.

Paul

On 5 Jul, 15:51, "Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> This is normal, I believe. When a compressed page is requested, IIS has to
> determine if the browser supports compression or not. If not, it will serve
> the page; if so, it will server the compressed page. I believe the 301 is
> used when compression is allowed and it is the "redirect" that sends the
> browser to the compressed bits.
>
> --
> Gregory A. Beamer
> MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBAhttp://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com
> Co-author: Microsoft Expression Web Bible (upcoming)

> Think outside the box!
> ************************************************"P aul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>

> > I've enabled http-compression on a server and was profiling the site
> > with fiddler. I noticed that every request to any asp.net site on the
> > server seems to return a 302 page before returning a 200. The 302 page
> > is never shown, and is less than 1kb, but is this normal behaviour for
> > asp.net? or is there something misconfigured on the server?

> > Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for clearing this up .