Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > .net 2.0 - unused class variables / methods

Reply
Thread Tools

.net 2.0 - unused class variables / methods

 
 
Rob Meade
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-04-2007
Hi all,

I'm using Visual Studio 2005 and it has as you are probably aware a very
handy feature of reporting to you which variables are not being used - cool
thanks...

What would be even more handy is a way of finding out which of my methods
are being used, and across a whole project. I've entered the horrible
realms of a project going out of control and I've added bits for testing,
and now I'm having to go through the whole project, commenting stuff out,
rebuilding and seeing if it works - I'm sure there's an easy/quicker way...

Anyone know of any tools that can identify which methods are not being used
in a project?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Rob


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?TWlsb3N6IFNrYWxlY2tpIFtNQ0FEXQ==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-04-2007
Right click on the method and "Find all references"
--
Milosz


"Rob Meade" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm using Visual Studio 2005 and it has as you are probably aware a very
> handy feature of reporting to you which variables are not being used - cool
> thanks...
>
> What would be even more handy is a way of finding out which of my methods
> are being used, and across a whole project. I've entered the horrible
> realms of a project going out of control and I've added bits for testing,
> and now I'm having to go through the whole project, commenting stuff out,
> rebuilding and seeing if it works - I'm sure there's an easy/quicker way...
>
> Anyone know of any tools that can identify which methods are not being used
> in a project?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Rob
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rob Meade
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-05-2007
"Milosz Skalecki [MCAD]" wrote ...

> Right click on the method and "Find all references"


OMG - LOL! Hi Milosz, thanks for the reply - talk about the answer being
under my own nose...hehe...the amount of times in a day I right click and
choose "goto definition" - lol...never seen that before...

Many thanks - its really useful!

Still be handy to have something that checked the entire project for unused
methods/properties etc....

Rob


 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?TWlsb3N6IFNrYWxlY2tpIFtNQ0FEXQ==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-05-2007
Hi Rob,

I'm really glad it helped you. There are some code analysis/review tools.
Most of them are comercial so you'd have to spend some money. Have a look
here:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vcs.../aa336818.aspx

Regards
--
Milosz


"Rob Meade" wrote:

> "Milosz Skalecki [MCAD]" wrote ...
>
> > Right click on the method and "Find all references"

>
> OMG - LOL! Hi Milosz, thanks for the reply - talk about the answer being
> under my own nose...hehe...the amount of times in a day I right click and
> choose "goto definition" - lol...never seen that before...
>
> Many thanks - its really useful!
>
> Still be handy to have something that checked the entire project for unused
> methods/properties etc....
>
> Rob
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Rob Meade
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2007
"Milosz Skalecki [MCAD]" wrote ...

> I'm really glad it helped you. There are some code analysis/review tools.
> Most of them are comercial so you'd have to spend some money. Have a look
> here:
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vcs.../aa336818.aspx


Hi Milosz,

Thanks for the reply and link - I'll check it out.

Your help is appreciated.

Regards

Rob


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there a way to find the class methods of a class, just like'methods' finds the instance methods? Kenneth McDonald Ruby 5 09-26-2008 03:09 PM
Are unused class methods removed from exe? ThazKool C++ 9 06-17-2006 05:46 AM
Eclipse - plugin to find unused CLASS MEMBER VARIABLES? steve.chambers@gmail.com Java 5 11-02-2005 03:33 PM
Unused variables used for class constructors artooro@gmail.com C++ 4 09-15-2005 10:52 PM
unused methods and class Fx Java 6 10-28-2004 02:00 PM



Advertisments