Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > EZ Firewall and Zonealarm?

EZ Firewall and Zonealarm?

sammy

hi,

was just using task manager just to see how things were working and what was
using the cpu (no slowdown problems prompted this - i just do it
periodically).

anyway, vsmon.exe is popping from 1% to 15% intermittently. system idle
process bouncing from high 80s to high 90s.

i poke around looking for what vsmon.exe is and i find it is part of the
zonealarm firewall. i used to use the zonealarm firewall but when i switched
to bright house and roadrunner for dsl, EZ Firewall came with it.

does EZ Firewall use Zonealarms vsmon.exe? if EZ Firewall does not use
vsmon.exe, can i, should i get rid of vsmon.exe?

thanks

sammy

"sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
news:468b83ad$0$30605$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi,
>
> was just using task manager just to see how things were working and what
> was using the cpu (no slowdown problems prompted this - i just do it
> periodically).
>
> anyway, vsmon.exe is popping from 1% to 15% intermittently. system idle
> process bouncing from high 80s to high 90s.
>
> i poke around looking for what vsmon.exe is and i find it is part of the
> zonealarm firewall. i used to use the zonealarm firewall but when i
> switched to bright house and roadrunner for dsl, EZ Firewall came with it.
>
> does EZ Firewall use Zonealarms vsmon.exe? if EZ Firewall does not use
> vsmon.exe, can i, should i get rid of vsmon.exe?
>
> thanks

my apologies. i should have also told you i deleted Zonealarm using "add or
remove programs" in the control panel.

i cannot remember if i did this before of after i had EZ Firewall up and
running.

thanks

sammy

"sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
news:468b8b5f$0$24691$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
> news:468b83ad$0$30605$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> hi,
>>
>> was just using task manager just to see how things were working and what
>> was using the cpu (no slowdown problems prompted this - i just do it
>> periodically).
>>
>> anyway, vsmon.exe is popping from 1% to 15% intermittently. system idle
>> process bouncing from high 80s to high 90s.
>>
>> i poke around looking for what vsmon.exe is and i find it is part of the
>> zonealarm firewall. i used to use the zonealarm firewall but when i
>> switched to bright house and roadrunner for dsl, EZ Firewall came with
>> it.
>>
>> does EZ Firewall use Zonealarms vsmon.exe? if EZ Firewall does not use
>> vsmon.exe, can i, should i get rid of vsmon.exe?
>>
>> thanks
>>

> my apologies. i should have also told you i deleted Zonealarm using "add
> or remove programs" in the control panel.
>
> i cannot remember if i did this before of after i had EZ Firewall up and
> running.
>
> thanks

arghhhh. i figured the file location for vsmon.exe would give me a hint
about what to do or not do.

here's where i found it: Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Firewall\repair

notice it doesn't say a goddam thing about Zonealarm.

am i correct in assuming the EZ Firewall just uses the executable under some
agreement with Zonealarm and i should just leave well enough alone?

i feel like a guy in a rubber room just talking out his problems with
himself since at this point.

They're coming to take me away, HA HA
They're coming to take me away, HO HO HEE HEE HA HA
To the funny farm
Where life is beautiful all the time
And I'll be happy to see
Those nice, young men
In their clean, white coats
And they're coming to take me away, Ha-haaa!

don't worry. i'll be ok, i think. just a touch of thorazine and a little nap
is all i need.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

sammy wrote:
> "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
> news:468b8b5f$0$24691$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>"sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
>>news:468b83ad$0$30605$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>
>>>hi,
>>>
>>>was just using task manager just to see how things were working and what
>>>was using the cpu (no slowdown problems prompted this - i just do it
>>>periodically).
>>>
>>>anyway, vsmon.exe is popping from 1% to 15% intermittently. system idle
>>>process bouncing from high 80s to high 90s.
>>>
>>>i poke around looking for what vsmon.exe is and i find it is part of the
>>>zonealarm firewall. i used to use the zonealarm firewall but when i
>>>switched to bright house and roadrunner for dsl, EZ Firewall came with
>>>it.
>>>
>>>does EZ Firewall use Zonealarms vsmon.exe? if EZ Firewall does not use
>>>vsmon.exe, can i, should i get rid of vsmon.exe?
>>>
>>>thanks
>>>

>>my apologies. i should have also told you i deleted Zonealarm using "add
>>or remove programs" in the control panel.
>>
>>i cannot remember if i did this before of after i had EZ Firewall up and
>>running.
>>
>>thanks
>>

> arghhhh. i figured the file location for vsmon.exe would give me a hint
> about what to do or not do.
>
> here's where i found it: Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Firewall\repair
>
> notice it doesn't say a goddam thing about Zonealarm.
>
> am i correct in assuming the EZ Firewall just uses the executable under some
> agreement with Zonealarm and i should just leave well enough alone?
>
> i feel like a guy in a rubber room just talking out his problems with
> himself since at this point.
>
> They're coming to take me away, HA HA
> They're coming to take me away, HO HO HEE HEE HA HA
> To the funny farm
> Where life is beautiful all the time
> And I'll be happy to see
> Those nice, young men
> In their clean, white coats
> And they're coming to take me away, Ha-haaa!
>
> don't worry. i'll be ok, i think. just a touch of thorazine and a little nap
> is all i need

Take a Valuam, it'll be okay. The file you describe is part of EZ, NOT
ZoneAlarm.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Rôgêr wrote:

> sammy wrote:

It should only do that if something is trying to use it. Do you have a
router? If not, it is taking the brunt of all the scanning coming down
your pipe.

RoadRunner isn't DSL.

> Take a Valuam, it'll be okay. The file you describe is part of EZ, NOT
> ZoneAlarm.

EZ Trust uses the rebadged ZoneAlarm firewall. So yes, you will see
ZoneAlarm parts running.

--
-bts

Premier

4/07/2007 10:16:23 PM
sammy <sammy@toast> wrote in message
<468b8eb4$0$20574$(E-Mail Removed)>

> "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
> news:468b8b5f$0$24691$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
> > news:468b83ad$0$30605$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> hi,
> >>
> >> was just using task manager just to see how things were working

and what
> >> was using the cpu (no slowdown problems prompted this - i just

do it
> >> periodically).
> >>
> >> anyway, vsmon.exe is popping from 1% to 15% intermittently.

system idle
> >> process bouncing from high 80s to high 90s.
> >>
> >> i poke around looking for what vsmon.exe is and i find it is

part of the
> >> zonealarm firewall. i used to use the zonealarm firewall but

when i
> >> switched to bright house and roadrunner for dsl, EZ Firewall

came with
> >> it.
> >>
> >> does EZ Firewall use Zonealarms vsmon.exe? if EZ Firewall does

not use
> >> vsmon.exe, can i, should i get rid of vsmon.exe?
> >>
> >> thanks
> >>

> > my apologies. i should have also told you i deleted Zonealarm

using "add
> > or remove programs" in the control panel.
> >
> > i cannot remember if i did this before of after i had EZ Firewall

up and
> > running.
> >
> > thanks
> >

> arghhhh. i figured the file location for vsmon.exe would give me a

hint
> about what to do or not do.
>
> here's where i found it: Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ

Firewall\repair

> notice it doesn't say a goddam thing about Zonealarm.
>
> am i correct in assuming the EZ Firewall just uses the executable

under some
> agreement with Zonealarm and i should just leave well enough alone?
>
> i feel like a guy in a rubber room just talking out his problems

with
> himself since at this point.
>
> They're coming to take me away, HA HA
> They're coming to take me away, HO HO HEE HEE HA HA
> To the funny farm
> Where life is beautiful all the time
> And I'll be happy to see
> Those nice, young men
> In their clean, white coats
> And they're coming to take me away, Ha-haaa!
>
> don't worry. i'll be ok, i think. just a touch of thorazine and a

little nap
> is all i need.

Zone Alarm True Vector service. Essential core component of the Zone
Alarm Internet firewall program. This task will be seen on PCs
running either Zone Alarm or Computer Associates’ eTrust Internet
Security as, at the time of writing, 11-Jan-2006, the Computer
Associates Personal Firewall is based around the Zone Alarm firewall
program. This program is started via the registry in Windows 9x/ME,
and as a service in Windows NT4/2000/XP/2003. This program enforces
the security rules which you configured on the Zone Alarm / eTrust
Personal Firewall screens.

Recommendation :
Essential to the proper running of Zone Alarm / eTrust Personal
Firewall – Leave well alone.
--
Composed with Newz Crawler 1.8 http://www.newzcrawler.com/

sammy

news:LNMii.273236$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rôgêr wrote:
>
>> sammy wrote:

> It should only do that if something is trying to use it. Do you have a
> router? If not, it is taking the brunt of all the scanning coming down
> your pipe.

> RoadRunner isn't DSL.

ok, it's not dsl, is it. i think i even knew that somewhere in my fogbound
mind. so what do we call it? just high
speed broadband? my god! is there no acronym? what are we gonna do?

sammy

> and what

> do it

> system idle

> part of the

> when i

> came with

> not use

>> > my apologies. i should have also told you i deleted Zonealarm

> using "add
>> > or remove programs" in the control panel.
>> >
>> > i cannot remember if i did this before of after i had EZ Firewall

> up and
>> > running.
>> >
>> > thanks
>> >

>> arghhhh. i figured the file location for vsmon.exe would give me a

> hint
>> about what to do or not do.
>>
>> here's where i found it: Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ

> Firewall\repair
>>
>> notice it doesn't say a goddam thing about Zonealarm.
>>
>> am i correct in assuming the EZ Firewall just uses the executable

> under some
>> agreement with Zonealarm and i should just leave well enough alone?
>>
>> i feel like a guy in a rubber room just talking out his problems

> with
>> himself since at this point.
>>
>> They're coming to take me away, HA HA
>> They're coming to take me away, HO HO HEE HEE HA HA
>> To the funny farm
>> Where life is beautiful all the time
>> And I'll be happy to see
>> Those nice, young men
>> In their clean, white coats
>> And they're coming to take me away, Ha-haaa!
>>
>> don't worry. i'll be ok, i think. just a touch of thorazine and a

> little nap
>> is all i need.

> Zone Alarm True Vector service. Essential core component of the Zone
> Alarm Internet firewall program. This task will be seen on PCs
> running either Zone Alarm or Computer Associates' eTrust Internet
> Security as, at the time of writing, 11-Jan-2006, the Computer
> Associates Personal Firewall is based around the Zone Alarm firewall
> program. This program is started via the registry in Windows 9x/ME,
> and as a service in Windows NT4/2000/XP/2003. This program enforces
> the security rules which you configured on the Zone Alarm / eTrust
> Personal Firewall screens.
>
> Recommendation :
> Essential to the proper running of Zone Alarm / eTrust Personal
> Firewall - Leave well alone.
> --
> Composed with Newz Crawler 1.8 http://www.newzcrawler.com/

laissez-faire? no problem. i shall let it be.

thanks you guys.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

sammy wrote:

> [...]

(Actually, EZ is an option you have to subscribe to... I never
bothered.)

>> RoadRunner isn't DSL.

> ok, it's not dsl, is it. i think i even knew that somewhere in my
> fogbound mind. so what do we call it? just high speed broadband? my
> god!

You could call it ... "cable internet"

> is there no acronym? what are we gonna do?

Need an acronym? Try: CBL ?
though a lot of folks may not know what that means. I have RoadRunner
for ten years, and I just call it "cable."

--
-bts

Mike Easter

sammy wrote:
> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"

>> RoadRunner isn't DSL.

> ok, it's not dsl, is it. i think i even knew that somewhere in my
> fogbound mind. so what do we call it? just high
> speed broadband? my god! is there no acronym? what are we gonna do?

A cable modem isn't even actually a 'modem' [modulator demodulator] but
instead it is a network bridge. So, really it is better to just call it
'cable'.

If you are crazy for acronyms, the most appropriate would be DOCSIS for
the standards for Data Over Cable Service Interface Specifications -
which are different in the US than Europe than Japan.

--
Mike Easter