Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Reporting PDF

Reporting PDF

Jeremy Martin

Hi,

Currently I use ReportBuilder which is a GUI application embedded in
the Delphi IDE to create custom reports.

It has its benefits because it allows code to be embedded in the report
that enables the designer to control every aspect of the report layout.

Now that I have made the move to VS asp.net 2.0 webapps I wish to know
if there are any reporting packages that run within VS using C#.

I have tried using Crystal Reports (one that comes with VS) but it
feels limited like I can't have C# code within the report or have a
custom call to create the report.

Idealy I want a Report to compile to a DLL that is called from the
website and the report handles everything from data retrieval to PDF
export.

Is there a package out there that is recommended?

Thanks
Jeremy

Mark Rae [MVP]

"Jeremy Martin" <jeremy at lanwest dot com dot au> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Is there a package out there that is recommended?

Have you seen this: http://www.gotreportviewer.com/ ?

However, I use this: http://www.siberix.com It won't ordinarily compile to a
dll though you could, I suppose, have separate projects per report which
would then amount to the same thing - I wouldn't advise it, though, as it
sounds like an administrative nightmare... However, it will do everything
else you require. Everything is done in code - there's no GUI designer at
all. You simply fetch the data, construct your report from the top down, and
export it as a PDF (or XPS).

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

Jeremy Martin

Thanks for the quick response.

http://www.siberix.com looks to be quite good. Although going to be a
interesting without any sort of GUI.

The reports I write are very data specific

http://mymart.lanwest.com.au/docs/Re...mplate%20A.pdf

and can be A3 with 3 columns.

Do you think siberix could handle this?

Regards
Jeremy

Mark Rae [MVP]

"Jeremy Martin" <jeremy at lanwest dot com dot au> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Thanks for the quick response.

Welcome.

> http://www.siberix.com looks to be quite good.

Siberix is one of only a handful of 3rd-party .NET add-ons that I would
recommend unreservedly.

> Although going to be a interesting without any sort of GUI.

In fact, that's just the way I like it

> Do you think siberix could handle this?

Oh yes - no problem. Basically, if it can be done in a PDF, Siberix can do
it. [There are currently four exceptions to this, which are listed on the
Siberix site.]

They offer a fully-functional evaluation version, so you really can't lose.

Their support is also superb - why not drop them a line and include the link
to your PDF and confirm with them that their product can handle it?

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP