Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Help with wireless network!

Help with wireless network!

=?Utf-8?B?U21lZGxleQ==?=

My computer won't connect to our home wireless network. It identifies the
network and tries to connect and then says that it can't, or that the server
is denying it access. I dont know how our network is set up but we don't
have a server, just a router, please help with this problem. Would it help
if I assinged the Ip addresses to my computer manually instead of it
obtaining it automaticly? Thank you.

Malke

Smedley wrote:

> My computer won't connect to our home wireless network. It identifies
> the network and tries to connect and then says that it can't, or that
> the server
> is denying it access. I dont know how our network is set up but we
> don't
> have a server, just a router, please help with this problem. Would it
> help if I assinged the Ip addresses to my computer manually instead of
> it
> obtaining it automaticly? Thank you.

You apparently have an encryption key set on the router. You need to
enter this key into the computer's wireless network settings. You can
see the key by using the router's configuration tool, accessed through
your browser.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

=?Utf-8?B?cmF2ZW53aW5ncw==?=

Sorry, could not post a new thread, and so am piggy backing with a similar
problem. I am travelling a lot and my wireless card was connecting
automatically and fine to any network in range in all the hotels and coffee
shops I was going to. Now all of a sudden it says: "no wireless networks were
found in range. Make sure the wireless switch on your computer is on." I try
to refresh the network list and get the same thing even when I know I'm in
range of a network. I do not know how to switch my wireless switch on, I have
a dell inspiron 8600 running Windows XP, and I don't know how I could have
switched it off. Someone checked my settings and said that it all looked okay
to them. Can anyone give me any advice?

"Malke" wrote:

> Smedley wrote:
>
> > My computer won't connect to our home wireless network. It identifies
> > the network and tries to connect and then says that it can't, or that
> > the server
> > is denying it access. I dont know how our network is set up but we
> > don't
> > have a server, just a router, please help with this problem. Would it
> > help if I assinged the Ip addresses to my computer manually instead of
> > it
> > obtaining it automaticly? Thank you.

> You apparently have an encryption key set on the router. You need to
> enter this key into the computer's wireless network settings. You can
> see the key by using the router's configuration tool, accessed through
> your browser.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"

Jack

Hi

Wireless Client (like a Laptop with Wireless Card) and the Wireless source
(like an Access Point, or a Cable/DSL Router) have to be set in a similar
way in order to connect.

To enjoy free public Wireless networks you can use a second setting that
allows the Wireless to automatically connect to any Free available Network.
When tying public Wireless your millage might vary since there might not be
a free open Wireless Network available.

Windows XP can be natively configured to two different setting, if you need
more than two there are third party applications that might help.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Smedley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My computer won't connect to our home wireless network. It identifies the
> network and tries to connect and then says that it can't, or that the

server
> is denying it access. I dont know how our network is set up but we don't
> have a server, just a router, please help with this problem. Would it

help
> if I assinged the Ip addresses to my computer manually instead of it
> obtaining it automaticly? Thank you.

=?Utf-8?B?R2VvZmYgQmFycmV0dA==?=

"Jack" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Wireless Client (like a Laptop with Wireless Card) and the Wireless source
> (like an Access Point, or a Cable/DSL Router) have to be set in a similar
> way in order to connect.

> Wireless - Basic Security: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
>
> To enjoy free public Wireless networks you can use a second setting that
> allows the Wireless to automatically connect to any Free available Network.
> When tying public Wireless your millage might vary since there might not be
> a free open Wireless Network available.
>
> Windows XP can be natively configured to two different setting, if you need
> more than two there are third party applications that might help.
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Smedley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My computer won't connect to our home wireless network. It identifies the
> > network and tries to connect and then says that it can't, or that the

> server
> > is denying it access. I dont know how our network is set up but we don't
> > have a server, just a router, please help with this problem. Would it

> help
> > if I assinged the Ip addresses to my computer manually instead of it
> > obtaining it automaticly? Thank you.

=?Utf-8?B?R2VvZmYgQmFycmV0dA==?=

Smedley.

I had the same problem and resolved it by calling the Link Sys Tech line.

They had me connect the lap top to the router by ca ble then they walked me
through the set up page at 192.168.1.1 made sure everything was OK there then
had me log on to the web page and logged on to their automatic set up site
and the web page did the whole thing from there.

They also made sure my drivers were up to date, which they were not since
upgrading to XP, and now they link works like a charm

Geoff