Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Pocket PC - Unable to read data from the transport connection

Reply
Thread Tools

Pocket PC - Unable to read data from the transport connection

 
 
Jay Balapa
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-03-2007
Hello,

We have a Pocket PC client application which just connects to our
webservice. When a client connects his Pocket PC through his WIFI he gets
the following- Unable to read data from the transport connection .

I have the same setup and am unable to reproduce this problem. This method
just tests the webmethod with a helloworld returned.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Jay Balapa

Sample Code -

try

{

Cursor.Current = Cursors.WaitCursor;



PocketInspector.localhost.PocketService mySrv=new
PocketInspector.localhost.PocketService();

mySrv.Url="http://"+DatabaseGateway.ServerNameString+"/pocketservice.asmx";





string myString=mySrv.TestWebService();

MessageBox.Show(myString);

Cursor.Current = Cursors.Default;



}

catch(WebException err)

{

MessageBox.Show("This program is expected to throw WebException on
successful run."+

"\n\nException Message :" + err.Message);

if(err.Status == WebExceptionStatus.ProtocolError)

{

MessageBox.Show("Status Code : {0}",
((HttpWebResponse)err.Response).StatusCode.ToStrin g());

MessageBox.Show("Status Description : {0}",
((HttpWebResponse)err.Response).StatusDescription) ;

}

}




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?U2ltb24gSGFydA==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-03-2007
This could be any number of things.

I am assuming you are using a WSDL generated proxy object. The first thing
that springs to mind is the Timeout property, are you setting this to a
sensible value?

Does the customer have a proxy server?
--
Simon Hart
http://simonrhart.blogspot.com


"Jay Balapa" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have a Pocket PC client application which just connects to our
> webservice. When a client connects his Pocket PC through his WIFI he gets
> the following- Unable to read data from the transport connection .
>
> I have the same setup and am unable to reproduce this problem. This method
> just tests the webmethod with a helloworld returned.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> -Jay Balapa
>
> Sample Code -
>
> try
>
> {
>
> Cursor.Current = Cursors.WaitCursor;
>
>
>
> PocketInspector.localhost.PocketService mySrv=new
> PocketInspector.localhost.PocketService();
>
> mySrv.Url="http://"+DatabaseGateway.ServerNameString+"/pocketservice.asmx";
>
>
>
>
>
> string myString=mySrv.TestWebService();
>
> MessageBox.Show(myString);
>
> Cursor.Current = Cursors.Default;
>
>
>
> }
>
> catch(WebException err)
>
> {
>
> MessageBox.Show("This program is expected to throw WebException on
> successful run."+
>
> "\n\nException Message :" + err.Message);
>
> if(err.Status == WebExceptionStatus.ProtocolError)
>
> {
>
> MessageBox.Show("Status Code : {0}",
> ((HttpWebResponse)err.Response).StatusCode.ToStrin g());
>
> MessageBox.Show("Status Description : {0}",
> ((HttpWebResponse)err.Response).StatusDescription) ;
>
> }
>
> }
>
>
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jay Balapa
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-03-2007
Hi Simon,

Thanks for your quick response.

Customer does not have a proxy server.

What baffles me is that if the customer connects through ActiveSync then it
works.

-Jay






"Simon Hart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> This could be any number of things.
>
> I am assuming you are using a WSDL generated proxy object. The first thing
> that springs to mind is the Timeout property, are you setting this to a
> sensible value?
>
> Does the customer have a proxy server?
> --
> Simon Hart
> http://simonrhart.blogspot.com
>
>
> "Jay Balapa" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> We have a Pocket PC client application which just connects to our
>> webservice. When a client connects his Pocket PC through his WIFI he gets
>> the following- Unable to read data from the transport connection .
>>
>> I have the same setup and am unable to reproduce this problem. This
>> method
>> just tests the webmethod with a helloworld returned.
>>
>> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>>
>> -Jay Balapa
>>
>> Sample Code -
>>
>> try
>>
>> {
>>
>> Cursor.Current = Cursors.WaitCursor;
>>
>>
>>
>> PocketInspector.localhost.PocketService mySrv=new
>> PocketInspector.localhost.PocketService();
>>
>>
>> mySrv.Url="http://"+DatabaseGateway.ServerNameString+"/pocketservice.asmx";
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> string myString=mySrv.TestWebService();
>>
>> MessageBox.Show(myString);
>>
>> Cursor.Current = Cursors.Default;
>>
>>
>>
>> }
>>
>> catch(WebException err)
>>
>> {
>>
>> MessageBox.Show("This program is expected to throw WebException on
>> successful run."+
>>
>> "\n\nException Message :" + err.Message);
>>
>> if(err.Status ==
>> WebExceptionStatus.ProtocolError)
>>
>> {
>>
>> MessageBox.Show("Status Code : {0}",
>> ((HttpWebResponse)err.Response).StatusCode.ToStrin g());
>>
>> MessageBox.Show("Status Description : {0}",
>> ((HttpWebResponse)err.Response).StatusDescription) ;
>>
>> }
>>
>> }
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Maciej Wolniewicz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-04-2007
Hello,

I think the problem are connection settings for device, if it works through
ActiveSync and not through WiFi so maybe check first if client have
connection to Internet.
I had similar problem and changing settings on location "Start ->
Settings -> Connections -> Advanced -> Select Networks" resolved all my
problems.
"Jay Balapa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> We have a Pocket PC client application which just connects to our
> webservice. When a client connects his Pocket PC through his WIFI he gets
> the following- Unable to read data from the transport connection .
>
> I have the same setup and am unable to reproduce this problem. This method
> just tests the webmethod with a helloworld returned.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> -Jay Balapa
>
> Sample Code -
>
> try
>
> {
>
> Cursor.Current = Cursors.WaitCursor;
>
>
>
> PocketInspector.localhost.PocketService mySrv=new
> PocketInspector.localhost.PocketService();
>
>
> mySrv.Url="http://"+DatabaseGateway.ServerNameString+"/pocketservice.asmx";
>
>
>
>
>
> string myString=mySrv.TestWebService();
>
> MessageBox.Show(myString);
>
> Cursor.Current = Cursors.Default;
>
>
>
> }
>
> catch(WebException err)
>
> {
>
> MessageBox.Show("This program is expected to throw WebException on
> successful run."+
>
> "\n\nException Message :" + err.Message);
>
> if(err.Status == WebExceptionStatus.ProtocolError)
>
> {
>
> MessageBox.Show("Status Code : {0}",
> ((HttpWebResponse)err.Response).StatusCode.ToStrin g());
>
> MessageBox.Show("Status Description : {0}",
> ((HttpWebResponse)err.Response).StatusDescription) ;
>
> }
>
> }
>
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Harsh Trivedi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-04-2007
Hi Jay,

we have face same problem, and then we first request client to check
internet connection from his device's browser.
meaning that, from device internet explorer whether he is able to
fetch the web service url ok or not....
and in our case that solved the problem...

other day, the second problem has come that is because slow internet
connections...at the time of sending 400 kb data to web service,
because of slow connection server was not responding ok...

checkout these options, might be helpful to you....

All the best


On Jul 4, 2:13 am, "Jay Balapa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have a Pocket PC client application which just connects to our
> webservice. When a client connects his Pocket PC through his WIFI he gets
> the following- Unable to read data from the transport connection .
>
> I have the same setup and am unable to reproduce this problem. This method
> just tests the webmethod with a helloworld returned.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> -Jay Balapa
>
> Sample Code -
>
> try
>
> {
>
> Cursor.Current = Cursors.WaitCursor;
>
> PocketInspector.localhost.PocketService mySrv=new
> PocketInspector.localhost.PocketService();
>
> mySrv.Url="http://"+DatabaseGateway.ServerNameString+"/pocketservice.asmx";
>
> string myString=mySrv.TestWebService();
>
> MessageBox.Show(myString);
>
> Cursor.Current = Cursors.Default;
>
> }
>
> catch(WebException err)
>
> {
>
> MessageBox.Show("This program is expected to throw WebException on
> successful run."+
>
> "\n\nException Message :" + err.Message);
>
> if(err.Status == WebExceptionStatus.ProtocolError)
>
> {
>
> MessageBox.Show("Status Code : {0}",
> ((HttpWebResponse)err.Response).StatusCode.ToStrin g());
>
> MessageBox.Show("Status Description : {0}",
> ((HttpWebResponse)err.Response).StatusDescription) ;
>
> }
>
> }





 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?U2ltb24gSGFydA==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-04-2007
Check that the device does in fact have a valid IP address when connected via
Wi-Fi.

Also try doing what some of the other posters sugested such as ensuring you
can access the Web Service WSDL or ASMX page via Pocket IE.

If you are able to connect to the Web Service via Pocket IE (able to see Web
Methods) then it is likely to be a coding error.

--
Simon Hart
http://simonrhart.blogspot.com


"Jay Balapa" wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> Thanks for your quick response.
>
> Customer does not have a proxy server.
>
> What baffles me is that if the customer connects through ActiveSync then it
> works.
>
> -Jay
>
>
>
>
>
>
> "Simon Hart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > This could be any number of things.
> >
> > I am assuming you are using a WSDL generated proxy object. The first thing
> > that springs to mind is the Timeout property, are you setting this to a
> > sensible value?
> >
> > Does the customer have a proxy server?
> > --
> > Simon Hart
> > http://simonrhart.blogspot.com
> >
> >
> > "Jay Balapa" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> We have a Pocket PC client application which just connects to our
> >> webservice. When a client connects his Pocket PC through his WIFI he gets
> >> the following- Unable to read data from the transport connection .
> >>
> >> I have the same setup and am unable to reproduce this problem. This
> >> method
> >> just tests the webmethod with a helloworld returned.
> >>
> >> Any help is greatly appreciated.
> >>
> >> -Jay Balapa
> >>
> >> Sample Code -
> >>
> >> try
> >>
> >> {
> >>
> >> Cursor.Current = Cursors.WaitCursor;
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> PocketInspector.localhost.PocketService mySrv=new
> >> PocketInspector.localhost.PocketService();
> >>
> >>
> >> mySrv.Url="http://"+DatabaseGateway.ServerNameString+"/pocketservice.asmx";
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> string myString=mySrv.TestWebService();
> >>
> >> MessageBox.Show(myString);
> >>
> >> Cursor.Current = Cursors.Default;
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> }
> >>
> >> catch(WebException err)
> >>
> >> {
> >>
> >> MessageBox.Show("This program is expected to throw WebException on
> >> successful run."+
> >>
> >> "\n\nException Message :" + err.Message);
> >>
> >> if(err.Status ==
> >> WebExceptionStatus.ProtocolError)
> >>
> >> {
> >>
> >> MessageBox.Show("Status Code : {0}",
> >> ((HttpWebResponse)err.Response).StatusCode.ToStrin g());
> >>
> >> MessageBox.Show("Status Description : {0}",
> >> ((HttpWebResponse)err.Response).StatusDescription) ;
> >>
> >> }
> >>
> >> }
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
jbalapa@hotmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-04-2007
Simon,

Thanks for your respose.

I have already done most of what you have suggested. Actually those
are all our standard troubleshooting procedures.

I can guarantee that there is no coding errors because we have been
using this application for 2 years and method is a simple hello world
handshake.

I have even simulated a wifi in our end and have worked flawlessly.

Two things I have to look into is timeouts and slow internet
connection.

-Jay Balapa









 
Reply With Quote
 
jbalapa@hotmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-04-2007
I have found this solution doing some research and this could be the
solution-

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Reply | New Topic | This is SPAM | This is Offensive
Re: Cannot connect within Firewall

We've encountered this with a few "smart" firewalls that are more
restrictive than just allowing all traffic through a port.
Specifically, some firewalls look at HTTP traffic and validate the
headers sent across are known and allowed.

So, when using webservice calls, the soap request is issuing requests
to the server that fall outside the normal POST/GET etc... and the
firewall denies them.

The setting we've had to change on a Checkpoint firewall product is to
enable "Allow Unknown Headers" or something similar to this.

Of course, you could also be running into an http proxy scenario,
which
introduces several other possible variables. Check your desktop
computer on the network and see if the browser is configured to use a
proxy of any kind. Depending on the type of proxy, and whether you are
using Activesync or Wifi/other, there are usually ways to make this
work as well.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>






 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
System.Net.Mail Error: Unable to read data from the transport connection: net_io_connectionclosed nate.strules@gmail.com ASP .Net 4 07-05-2007 09:19 AM
Pocket PC - Unable to read data from the transport connection Jay Balapa ASP .Net Web Services 7 07-04-2007 07:39 PM
want to replace a read only cd transport with read / write transport larya Computer Support 7 09-11-2006 10:21 PM
System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection Mentalis ASP .Net 0 07-12-2006 03:43 PM
Unable to read data from the transport connection =?Utf-8?B?S2VpdGggQXZlcnk=?= ASP .Net 2 12-30-2005 07:58 PM



Advertisments