Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > ufraw with Nikon D40

ufraw with Nikon D40

Fredrik Sandstrom

Hi,

Is anyone using ufraw ( http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/ ) successfully
with a Nikon D40? I posted about this on their forum:
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.p...orum_id=434060

but wasn't able to solve the problem, which is this: I can't get the
colors to look anything like the jpegs the camera produces. I suspect
this is because I don't have the correct input profile, but where can
I find one? On the ufraw site you can download profiles for the D50,
D70, D80, etc, but not D40, and none of them give very good results.
When I installed the Nikon software I got a profile named
NKD1_NEF.icm, apparently for the D1. It is semi-usable, but clearly
not 100% correct. So, any ideas?

--
Fredrik Sandström

Floyd L. Davidson

Fredrik Sandstrom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Is anyone using ufraw ( http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/ ) successfully
>with a Nikon D40? I posted about this on their forum:
>http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.p...orum_id=434060
>
>but wasn't able to solve the problem, which is this: I can't get the
>colors to look anything like the jpegs the camera produces. I suspect
>this is because I don't have the correct input profile, but where can
>I find one? On the ufraw site you can download profiles for the D50,
>D70, D80, etc, but not D40, and none of them give very good results.
>When I installed the Nikon software I got a profile named
>NKD1_NEF.icm, apparently for the D1. It is semi-usable, but clearly
>not 100% correct. So, any ideas?

Can you post an NEF file and also the camera generated
JPEG file to a website, or perhaps a binary newsgroup?

I'd be happy to try matching UFRaw output with the
camera's JPEG file.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) (E-Mail Removed)