Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > URGENT: Network key- how can i find mine?

URGENT: Network key- how can i find mine?

=?Utf-8?B?aGVscCE=?=

I need to add another computer to my network that has a "network key" but i
can't figure out what that network key is, because it's encrypted...

does anyone know how to do this??
help!

Malke

help! wrote:

> I need to add another computer to my network that has a "network key"
> but i can't figure out what that network key is, because it's
> encrypted...
>
> does anyone know how to do this??
> help!

You've forgotten your WEP/WPA, is that it? Just go to the wireless
router or wireless access point and go to its configuration settings.
Most routers/WAP's are configured through your browser. Look at the
wireless security settings and you'll see the encryption key you're
using. Write it down and then you can enter the key into your
computer's wireless network settings.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

=?Utf-8?B?VGFuazgxMzE=?=

I'm having the same problem but I'm not as computer literate so I'd have to
be told how to get to the wireless access point and all that stuff.

Malke

Tank8131 wrote:

> I'm having the same problem but I'm not as computer literate so I'd
> have to be told how to get to the wireless access point and all that
> stuff.

The previous posts in this thread aren't available, so since you didn't
quote any of them, it's hard to know how to answer you. If you forgot
your WEP/WPA key, just log into your router's configuration page
(usually by entering its IP address in your browser) and look at the
security settings. Copy them onto a piece of paper. If you don't know
how to get into your router's configuration utility, look at its manual
or post back with the make/model.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"

SomeDude24 SomeDude24 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malke
Tank8131 wrote:

> I'm having the same problem but I'm not as computer literate so I'd
> have to be told how to get to the wireless access point and all that
> stuff.

The previous posts in this thread aren't available, so since you didn't
quote any of them, it's hard to know how to answer you. If you forgot
your WEP/WPA key, just log into your router's configuration page
(usually by entering its IP address in your browser) and look at the
security settings. Copy them onto a piece of paper. If you don't know
how to get into your router's configuration utility, look at its manual
or post back with the make/model.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
My model is WRT54G, and it's maker is Linksys...

vics vics is offline
Junior Member

I found mine in this way:

1.Login to router. Like type http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1
2.defaults will be admin password: admin
3. Goto wireless setup.
4. Interneet cnection settings.. click on this
5. You can find network key here.. If it is not able to connect with this key,
then generate a new key and save the settings. Try to remember this new key from next tim onwards.
6. Finish

txrus txrus is offline
Junior Member

All the advice to go to the router's website makes no sense if we cannot get online. Without the network key it seems the router cannot route us to the correct website, or for that matter, any website whatsoever.
Thanks for your hints.

navyretired99 navyretired99 is offline
Junior Member

I found VIC'S solution to be right on. Thanx vic