Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Global application function asp.net

Global application function asp.net

Matt

Hi,

I am writing a web appplication that will use a global licensing
paradigm. For every instance of the server I want to check the
licensing requirements i.e the application in a global context. I've
read that using the Application_Startup event in HttpApplication class
is useless because an application does not map to an instance of the
webapp - i.e that method could be called more than once as more
httpApplication instances are created to handle request from the same
app.

Is there any way I can ensure that a method is only called once if a
client is connected? Maybe a global sessionsAlive boolean or such? Or
somewhere that ALL asp.net httpApp instances have access to so I could
query the contents of a container.

Thanks
Matt

I think your best bet for this is to have a central WebService that each app
would automatically make a call to at startup, and it would return the
information you need to make licensing-type decisions. You could use a
database for lookups in order to enhance persistence across application
restarts.
-- Peter
Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
BlogMetaFinder(BETA): http://www.blogmetafinder.com

"Matt" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am writing a web appplication that will use a global licensing
> paradigm. For every instance of the server I want to check the
> licensing requirements i.e the application in a global context. I've
> read that using the Application_Startup event in HttpApplication class
> is useless because an application does not map to an instance of the
> webapp - i.e that method could be called more than once as more
> httpApplication instances are created to handle request from the same
> app.
>
> Is there any way I can ensure that a method is only called once if a
> client is connected? Maybe a global sessionsAlive boolean or such? Or
> somewhere that ALL asp.net httpApp instances have access to so I could
> query the contents of a container.
>
> Thanks
> Matt

Matt

I agree, that cerainly makes sense from a design point of view. thanks
peter