Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Putting a not-equal sign on a page ....

Putting a not-equal sign on a page ....

joesplink

I have a web page with not-equal sign ... in the expression F <ne> MA
where the <ne> is an actual not-equal sign at

www.berkeleyscience.com/relativity.htm

Works fine for IE. However I just discovered it doesn't work for
Firefox.

How to get a not-equal sign that works for both ?

Use an image?

Here's what works for IE, I have no idea where I found this ...

font-family:Symbol;mso-ascii-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-hansi-
font-family:
"Times New Roman";mso-char-type:symbol;mso-symbol-font-
family:Symbol'><span
style='mso-char-type:symbol;mso-symbol-font-family:Symbol'></span></
span>

Firefox prints a instead of a not-equal sign.

Nik Coughlin

joesplink wrote:
> I have a web page with not-equal sign ... in the expression F <ne> MA
> where the <ne> is an actual not-equal sign at
>
> www.berkeleyscience.com/relativity.htm
>
> Works fine for IE. However I just discovered it doesn't work for
> Firefox.
>
> How to get a not-equal sign that works for both ?
>
> Use an image?
>
> Here's what works for IE, I have no idea where I found this ...

> font-family:Symbol;mso-ascii-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-hansi-
> font-family:
> "Times New Roman";mso-char-type:symbol;mso-symbol-font-
> family:Symbol'><span
> style='mso-char-type:symbol;mso-symbol-font-family:Symbol'></span></
> span>
>
> Firefox prints a instead of a not-equal sign.

That is IE only rubbish (in fact Microsoft Office rubbish, hence the MSO)

You want &ne;

joesplink

On Jul 2, 11:19 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> joesplink wrote:
> > I have a web page with not-equal sign ... in the expression F <ne> MA
> > where the <ne> is an actual not-equal sign at

> >www.berkeleyscience.com/relativity.htm

> > Works fine for IE. However I just discovered it doesn't work for
> > Firefox.

> > How to get a not-equal sign that works for both ?

> > Use an image?

> > Here's what works for IE, I have no idea where I found this ...

> > font-family:Symbol;mso-ascii-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-hansi-
> > font-family:
> > "Times New Roman";mso-char-type:symbol;mso-symbol-font-
> > family:Symbol'><span
> > style='mso-char-type:symbol;mso-symbol-font-family:Symbol'></span></
> > span>

> > Firefox prints a instead of a not-equal sign.

> That is IE only rubbish (in fact Microsoft Office rubbish, hence the MSO)
>
> You want &ne;- Hide quoted text -

BONUS !

(Oh yeah, now I remember where I got that, I wrote a ne in MS word doc
and generated a htm file and copied)

Is there a list of such character generators ? In particular, I'm
interested in a 'partial derivative' symbol, which looks something
like a script d, you can see one on

www.berkeleyscience.com/waveeq.htm

There I used, with great inconvenience, an image imbedded in the line,
with the attendant hassels, it was such a headache that when I did

www.berkeleyscience.com/gr.htm

I just used a regular d, which is .... wrong.

Thanks for the tip!

Slide

cwdjrxyz

On Jul 3, 9:59 am, joesplink <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 2, 11:19 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > joesplink wrote:
> > > I have a web page with not-equal sign ... in the expression F <ne> MA
> > > where the <ne> is an actual not-equal sign at

> > >www.berkeleyscience.com/relativity.htm

> > > Works fine for IE. However I just discovered it doesn't work for
> > > Firefox.

> > > How to get a not-equal sign that works for both ?

> > > Use an image?

> > > Here's what works for IE, I have no idea where I found this ...

> > > font-family:Symbol;mso-ascii-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-hansi-
> > > font-family:
> > > "Times New Roman";mso-char-type:symbol;mso-symbol-font-
> > > family:Symbol'><span
> > > style='mso-char-type:symbol;mso-symbol-font-family:Symbol'></span></
> > > span>

> > > Firefox prints a instead of a not-equal sign.

> > That is IE only rubbish (in fact Microsoft Office rubbish, hence the MSO)

> > You want &ne;- Hide quoted text -

> BONUS !
>
> (Oh yeah, now I remember where I got that, I wrote a ne in MS word doc
> and generated a htm file and copied)
>
> Is there a list of such character generators ? In particular, I'm
> interested in a 'partial derivative' symbol, which looks something
> like a script d, you can see one on
>
> www.berkeleyscience.com/waveeq.htm
>
> There I used, with great inconvenience, an image imbedded in the line,
> with the attendant hassels, it was such a headache that when I did
>
> www.berkeleyscience.com/gr.htm
>
> I just used a regular d, which is .... wrong.
>
> Thanks for the tip!
>
> Slide

So far as I know, there is no "not equal" that will work on most
browsers. Some people use a small image in such a case. If you can not
find one you like using a Google search, it should be fairly easy to
make one using an image tool such as Paint Shop.

The "not equal" is often needed writing javascript code. In
javascript, "not equal" is written as "!=".

John Hosking

joesplink wrote:
> On Jul 2, 11:19 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> joesplink wrote:
>>> I have a web page with not-equal sign ... in the expression F <ne> MA
>>> where the <ne> is an actual not-equal sign at
>>> www.berkeleyscience.com/relativity.htm

>> You want &ne;- Hide quoted text -

<sarcasm>Oh, I do love how Google includes its UI cues in GG users'
posts</sarcasm>

> Is there a list of such character generators ? In particular, I'm
> interested in a 'partial derivative' symbol, which looks something
> like a script d, you can see one on
>
> www.berkeleyscience.com/waveeq.htm
>
> There I used, with great inconvenience, an image imbedded in the line,
> with the attendant hassels, it was such a headache [...]

Perhaps you want &part;

Search the Web for /HTML entities/. See, among others, Wikipedia's
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ity_references
and the W3C's own info for HTML 4.0 at
http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40-97070.../entities.html .

Read also Jukka Korpela's voluminous work at
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html (more useful than you might
think; skim, bookmark, revisit). You seem like a guy who'd want
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html#math on that same page.

HTH. GL.

--
John
Pondering the value of the UIP: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

Bergamot

joesplink wrote:
> On Jul 2, 11:19 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> You want &ne;

> Is there a list of such character generators ?

All the Unicode you could ever want is at:
http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/unicode_samples.html

Math symbols are included.

--
Berg

JWS

Nik Coughlin wrote:
> joesplink wrote:
>> I have a web page with not-equal sign ... in the expression F
>> <ne> MA where the <ne> is an actual not-equal sign at
>>
>> www.berkeleyscience.com/relativity.htm
>>
>> Works fine for IE. However I just discovered it doesn't work
>> for Firefox.
>>
>> How to get a not-equal sign that works for both ?

Set the charset of your page to UTF-8 (a good idea anyway), and
use the UTF-8 character for 'not equal' (*, a.k.a. U+2260).

If you have further mathematical ambitions, and want to show
partial derivatives, fractions, whatever, you could consider using
ASCIIMathML.js; see for an example my page

http://www.jw-stumpel.nl/bounce.html

(see, especially, the 'MATHML' box at the beginning).

Unfortunately this works (at the moment) only in Windows and in
Fedora's version of Firefox, not in other Linuces AFAIK (but I may
be wrong). Dunno about Mac.

Regards, Jan

joesplink

On Jul 3, 10:34 am, Bergamot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> joesplink wrote:
> > On Jul 2, 11:19 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> You want &ne;

> > Is there a list of such character generators ?

> All the Unicode you could ever want is at:http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/unicode_samples.html
>
> Math symbols are included.
>
> --
> Berg

By Jove, ∂ there it is. Thanks.

I ended up here

http://www.alanwood.net/demos/symbol.html

to find the actual code.

Slide

joesplink

On Jul 3, 10:15 am, John Hosking <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> joesplink wrote:

> >> You want &ne;- Hide quoted text -

> <sarcasm>Oh, I do love how Google includes its UI cues in GG users'
> posts</sarcasm>
>

> > Is there a list of such character generators ? In particular, I'm
> > interested in a 'partial derivative' symbol, which looks something
> > like a script d, you can see one on

> >www.berkeleyscience.com/waveeq.htm

> > There I used, with great inconvenience, an image imbedded in the line,
> > with the attendant hassels, it was such a headache [...]

> Perhaps you want &part;
>
> Search the Web for /HTML entities/. See, among others, Wikipedia'shttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_XML_and_HTML_character_entity_re...
> and the W3C's own info for HTML 4.0 athttp://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40-970708/sgml/entities.html.
>
> Read also Jukka Korpela's voluminous work athttp://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html(more useful than you might
> think; skim, bookmark, revisit). You seem like a guy who'd wanthttp://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html#mathon that same page.
>
> HTH. GL.
>
> --
> John
> Pondering the value of the UIP:http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

Hey, I thought you were jokinig. Yep, &part; works.

Thanks,

Slide
www.berkeleyscience.com

Bergamot