Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows XP Professional to XP Home, how to retrieve past files? Please Help!!!

Windows XP Professional to XP Home, how to retrieve past files? Please Help!!!

MINxJAE@gmail.com

One day my computer randomly shut down, and when I tried to turn my
computer back on, it would run into a blue screen and say some file is
corrupted. So I thought, "I should put in a XP Windows cd and Repair
it."
I had been currently running on a Windows Professional version and i
chose the Repair option with a Windows Home CD, because that is all I
had and found.
Everything seemed to go smoothly, and everything installed, then I
checked my documents where all my huge paper assignments were, but I
couldn't find any, but then going into C: and then Program Files,
everything was basically in there, all my previous programs. And then
I checked my Hard Drive and it was full, which means everything I had
from before is still in my computer.
Also going into Documents and Settings, I find both the account i
created from installing XP Home and also the account folder from my
previous XP Professional version.
I have very important documents and huge homework assignments I need
to get out from my XP Professional version account.
Can anyone help or have any sort of ideas? If you need more
information to help, I will try my best to supply you with more.
Please! And I greatly appreciate your time for reading this.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

>One day my computer randomly shut down, and when I tried to turn my
>computer back on, it would run into a blue screen and say some file is
>corrupted. So I thought, "I should put in a XP Windows cd and Repair
>it."
>I had been currently running on a Windows Professional version and i
>chose the Repair option with a Windows Home CD, because that is all I
>had and found.
>Everything seemed to go smoothly, and everything installed, then I
>checked my documents where all my huge paper assignments were, but I
>couldn't find any, but then going into C: and then Program Files,
>everything was basically in there, all my previous programs. And then
>I checked my Hard Drive and it was full, which means everything I had
>from before is still in my computer.
>Also going into Documents and Settings, I find both the account i
>created from installing XP Home and also the account folder from my
>previous XP Professional version.
>I have very important documents and huge homework assignments I need
>to get out from my XP Professional version account.
>Can anyone help or have any sort of ideas? If you need more
>information to help, I will try my best to supply you with more.
>Please! And I greatly appreciate your time for reading this.

There are two repair options... next time use the second one.

You need to create another user account and transfer almost everything
from the old to the new.

Can't access the directory - Google: taking access of a directory.
--

Tee Shirts
http://tinyurl.com/39aj4t

MINxJAE@gmail.com

Hmm, almost. The thing is, when i try to open the folder i need to get
into, which is from the Professional XP one, it says C:\Docum... is
not accessible. Access is Denied...

Is there anything else?

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Didn't google did ya... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
--

Tee Shirts
http://tinyurl.com/39aj4t

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

"If you are using Windows XP Professional, you must disable Simple
File Sharing. By default, Windows XP Professional uses Simple File
sharing when it is not joined to a domain."

This could cause you a problem (finding it).

Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View.
Way down at the bottom is simple file sharing - disable if needed.
--

Tee Shirts
http://tinyurl.com/39aj4t

Ron Martell

>One day my computer randomly shut down, and when I tried to turn my
>computer back on, it would run into a blue screen and say some file is
>corrupted. So I thought, "I should put in a XP Windows cd and Repair
>it."
>I had been currently running on a Windows Professional version and i
>chose the Repair option with a Windows Home CD, because that is all I
>had and found.
>Everything seemed to go smoothly, and everything installed, then I
>checked my documents where all my huge paper assignments were, but I
>couldn't find any, but then going into C: and then Program Files,
>everything was basically in there, all my previous programs. And then
>I checked my Hard Drive and it was full, which means everything I had
>from before is still in my computer.
>Also going into Documents and Settings, I find both the account i
>created from installing XP Home and also the account folder from my
>previous XP Professional version.
>I have very important documents and huge homework assignments I need
>to get out from my XP Professional version account.
>Can anyone help or have any sort of ideas? If you need more
>information to help, I will try my best to supply you with more.
>Please! And I greatly appreciate your time for reading this.

You may need to "take ownership" of the files. With XP Home edition
you will have to boot into Safe Mode in order to get access to the
security tab in the folder properties.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 200
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

Ron Martell

>One day my computer randomly shut down, and when I tried to turn my
>computer back on, it would run into a blue screen and say some file is
>corrupted. So I thought, "I should put in a XP Windows cd and Repair
>it."
>I had been currently running on a Windows Professional version and i
>chose the Repair option with a Windows Home CD, because that is all I
>had and found.
>Everything seemed to go smoothly, and everything installed, then I
>checked my documents where all my huge paper assignments were, but I
>couldn't find any, but then going into C: and then Program Files,
>everything was basically in there, all my previous programs. And then
>I checked my Hard Drive and it was full, which means everything I had
>from before is still in my computer.
>Also going into Documents and Settings, I find both the account i
>created from installing XP Home and also the account folder from my
>previous XP Professional version.
>I have very important documents and huge homework assignments I need
>to get out from my XP Professional version account.
>Can anyone help or have any sort of ideas? If you need more
>information to help, I will try my best to supply you with more.
>Please! And I greatly appreciate your time for reading this.

Whoops. It would help if I included the link to the relevant KB
articles, woudn't it.

https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/de...b;en-us;308421

Ron Martell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Whoops. It would help if I included the link to the relevant KB
>articles, woudn't it.

>How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
>https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/de...b;en-us;308421

What's your password?

"Sign into the MVP site

Please sign in here.

The content you have selected is available only to members"

--
Microsoft apologizes for "Ultimate Extras" embarrassment
(Vista Ultimate) http://tinyurl.com/ytefpm

Evan Platt

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 11:03:31 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>What's your password?
>
>"Sign into the MVP site
>
>Please sign in here.
>
>The content you have selected is available only to members"

You can use myne.

It's ********* .

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 11:03:31 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

>>What's your password?
>>
>>"Sign into the MVP site
>>
>>Please sign in here.
>>
>>The content you have selected is available only to members"

>You can use myne.

Just questioning why one would have to log in,
and this one works
http://www.bugmenot.com/view/mvp.support.microsoft.com