Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > I hate IIS - "Server Application Unavailable" error message

I hate IIS - "Server Application Unavailable" error message

Kevin Liebowicz

On Jul 2, 10:05 pm, "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> re:
> !> Yes, this is on a Win2003 Server.
> !> Yes, this machine is a domain controller.

First of all thank you for the help. And I do mean it.

> Bad idea.

Let me be the judge of that.

> In general, it's not advisable to run your Web server on a domain controller,
> because a compromise of the machine is a compromise of the domain.

Funny because when I first installed Win2003 server it had no
problems, complaints or warnings installing IIS for me. I've been
using IIS to serve web-pages for several years now without a single
problem. It seems that things only "half-work" because .ASP pages get
served but I need to screw around and tweak the daylights out of the
machine to get the other half (.ASPX) pages working.

> But, if you *really* need to do that...

I *really* do need to do that.

> re:
> !> There is no "userName" attribute in the Machine.config file in .net 2.x.
>
> Yes, there is.
>
> <processModel enable="true" userName="SYSTEM" password="AutoGenerate" />

Not on my machine there isn't.
bubba:CONFIG>pwd
/cygdrive/c/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/CONFIG
bubba:CONFIG>grep -i username machine.config
bubba:CONFIG>

C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG \machine.config

<system.web>
<processModel autoConfig="true"/>
<httpHandlers />

<membership>
<providers>
*** snip ***
</providers>
</membership>

> ...ought to cover it for you, if you *really* want to run ASP.NET
> as the SYSTEM account on a domain controller, although I would encrypt the section.

I just want the damn thing to work. IIS is able to run and server ASP
pages for several years now. Why is it that ASPX is completely borked?
And NO... this is not some "feature" where Microsoft is protecting me
from myself. It's simply hosed.

> Even better, I would NOT run ASP.NET as the System account. See below...

I believe that IIS normally serves ASP pages under an account named
IUSR_<machine-name> - Why can't ASPX pages run under the same account?
Nah... that would be too easy.

> re:
> !> The event log is filled with messages like:
>
> It's no wonder that is happening.
>
> re:
> !> How about software that simply works????
>
> If you deliberately run ASP.NET on a domain controller,
> something which is not recommended, don't blame Microsoft
> if you can't RTFM to implement the workaround.

What do you mean RTFM??? There is NO "Manual" to read, no USEFUL error
messages. Searching the web proves this problem has been around
since .net 1.0 and it still doesn't work right.

> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7w2sway1.aspx

Excellent. (And thanks). What's the magic search words that one must
use in order to search and find this link.

> Even better than using the System account would be specifing an explicit account.
>
> That works around the security problems which
> running ASP.NET on a domain controller exposes you to.
>
> To do that, follow the instructions in this article...
>
> How To: Create a Service Account for an ASP.NET 2.0 Application:http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998297.aspx
>
> Try it. It's really easy to do.

I'm sure it is... once the server finishes printing all 6 pages of
these "easy" instructions.

> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> asp.net faq :http://asp.net.do/faq/
> foros de asp.net, en español :http://asp.net.do/foros/
> ======================================"Kevin Liebowicz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed) glegroups.com...
>
> Yes, I wasted the past two days trying to fix this.
> Yes, this is on a Win2003 Server.
> Yes, this machine is a domain controller.
>
> Yes, I seen the dozens of KB articles like this one:http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q315158
>
> But the problem is that 99% of these are for ASP .NET 1.x and this
> is .NET 2.x which I just installed to try and get .net working for the
> first time ever. I've see all the HACKS to get .net 1.x working... but
> this is for .net 2.x so these worthless KB articles do nothing for me.
>
> Example -http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315158
>
> RESOLUTION
> To work around this problem, use one of the following methods: ·
> Create a weak account that has the correct permissions, and then
> configure the <processModel> section of the Machine.config file to use
> that account.
> · Set the userName attribute to SYSTEM in the <processModel> section
> of the Machine.config file.
> · Configure the <processModel> section of the Machine.config file to
> use an administrator account.
>
> THIS IS USELESS !!!!! There is no "userName" attribute in the
> Machine.config file in .net 2.x. And if this is a known problem then
> why doesn't the installer warn me or fix it automatically. Sorry, but
> your software sucks lately.!!!!!!!
>
> The event log is filled with messages like:
>
> <quote>
> aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
> 800700CB. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
> insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure
> that the .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on
> the installation directory allow access to the configured account.
> </quote>
>
> Sorry Microsoft - But you are getting WORSE and WORSE. How about
> software that simply works????
>
> It's no wonder that Linux is kicking your butt and I'm about 30
> seconds away from saying goodbye to your over-complicated bug ridden
> crap and making the transition to linux myself.

Kevin Liebowicz

On Jul 3, 9:57 am, "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> in your case all you have to do is set up an ad-hoc service account,
> as indicated in the link I sent you :
>
> How To: Create a Service Account for an ASP.NET 2.0 Application:http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998297.aspx

Except that it still does not work.

I followed the directions -

#1 - I created a new account (in the User group) named
aspxuseraccount.
[Works]

#2 - Assign ASP.NET permissions to the new account
(FAMILY is the domain name since it's the home/family domain
controller)

C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727>aspnet _regiis.exe -ga
FAMILY\aspxuseraccount

Start granting FAMILY\aspxuseraccount access to the IIS metabase and
other directories used by ASP.NET.
Finished granting FAMILY\aspxuseraccount access to the IIS metabase

#3 - Create a Test ASP.NET Application
WRONG! This is a server that sits in the basement. I don't have visual
studio .net installed on this machine nor do I intend on buying it
just to "enable" my machine to serve a simple .aspx page.

So I create a small file named Default.aspx and I paste the text from
the article into it. Without VS.net I can't compile or run the app but
I ought to at least be able to serve this page. Nope... still can't do
that:

http://bubba/default.aspx

<quote>
Server Application Unavailable
The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is
currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web
browser to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this
specific request failure can be found in the application event log of
the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused
this error to occur.
</quote>

> [...]

> > over a couple of thosand dollars, then I am wating my time.

> Yeah, yeah, yeah. Once again... one size does NOT fit all.
>
> > Don't put your web server on a DC ... EVER.

> EVER? Then do explain why my family intranet needs a 2nd machine to
> server web pages.
>
> > Nuff said. If you ignore this, you can take Juan's "fix" and hang yourself.

> Ignored because you believe that you understand my situation better
> than I do. You do not.
>

> > --
> > Gregory A. Beamer
> > MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBAhttp://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com
> > Co-author: Microsoft Expression Web Bible (upcoming)

> > Think outside the box!
> > ************************************************"K evin Liebowicz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > Yes, I wasted the past two days trying to fix this.
> > Yes, this is on a Win2003 Server.
> > Yes, this machine is a domain controller.

> > Yes, I seen the dozens of KB articles like this one:http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q315158

> > But the problem is that 99% of these are for ASP .NET 1.x and this
> > is .NET 2.x which I just installed to try and get .net working for the
> > first time ever. I've see all the HACKS to get .net 1.x working... but
> > this is for .net 2.x so these worthless KB articles do nothing for me.

> > Example -http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315158

> > RESOLUTION
> > To work around this problem, use one of the following methods: ·
> > Create a weak account that has the correct permissions, and then
> > configure the <processModel> section of the Machine.config file to use
> > that account.
> > · Set the userName attribute to SYSTEM in the <processModel> section
> > of the Machine.config file.
> > · Configure the <processModel> section of the Machine.config file to
> > use an administrator account.

> > THIS IS USELESS !!!!! There is no "userName" attribute in the
> > Machine.config file in .net 2.x. And if this is a known problem then
> > why doesn't the installer warn me or fix it automatically. Sorry, but
> > your software sucks lately.!!!!!!!

> > The event log is filled with messages like:

> > <quote>
> > aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
> > 800700CB. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
> > insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure
> > that the .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on
> > the installation directory allow access to the configured account.
> > </quote>

> > Sorry Microsoft - But you are getting WORSE and WORSE. How about
> > software that simply works????

> > It's no wonder that Linux is kicking your butt and I'm about 30
> > seconds away from saying goodbye to your over-complicated bug ridden
> > crap and making the transition to linux myself.- Hide quoted text -

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> Server Application Unavailable
!> The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable.

In Windows 2003, you have to specifically enable ASP.NET.
The default, for security reasons, is that ASP.NET is not enabled.

Open the IIS Manager, scroll on the left to "Web Service Extensions", then select
the ASP.NET version you want to allow on the right pane, and click the "Allow" button.

You can also run:

aspnet_regiis -enable

Both procedures do the same thing : enable ASP.NET to run on W2K3.

======================================

#3 - Create a Test ASP.NET Application
[...]

Three more things...

1. Did you setup the root site to run against ASP.NET 2.0 ?

http://bubba/default.aspx will need to run using the .Net Framework 2.0

Open the IIS Manager and, in the properties for the "Default Web Site"
( right-click it and select "Properties" ), select the ASP.NET tab,
and make sure that 2.0.50727 is selected... )

2. Did you create the Application Pool for ASP.NET 2.0 ?
( as detailed in the same article : http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998297.aspx )

3. Make sure the root application is running in the Application Pool you just created.
( Again...in the Default Web Sites' properties in the IIS Manager )

#3 - Create a Test ASP.NET Application
> [...]

> > 800700CB. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
> > insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure
> > that the .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on
> > the installation directory allow access to the configured account.
> > </quote>

> > Sorry Microsoft - But you are getting WORSE and WORSE. How about
> > software that simply works????

> > It's no wonder that Linux is kicking your butt and I'm about 30
> > seconds away from saying goodbye to your over-complicated bug ridden
> > crap and making the transition to linux myself.- Hide quoted text -

Kevin Liebowicz

On Jul 3, 9:57 am, "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> in your case all you have to do is set up an ad-hoc service account,

And by the way... other than step #3 not working (because it seems
that one needs to buy a $800 compiler in order to convince a licensed
Win2003 server to serve one simple .aspx page) the other steps are not
even close to working...

<quote>
Step 4. Create an Application Pool with a Custom Identity
To create an application pool that runs using a custom service
account

Start Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
In the left pane, expand the local computer and then expand
Application Pools.
</quote>

I would but there is not "Application Pools" underneath the local
computer or anywhere else in IIS Manager.

<quote>
Step 5. Configure Your Application to Run in the New Application Pool

In this step, you configure your test ASP.NET application to run in
the new application pool. This ensures that it runs using the custom
service account identity.
</quote>

Except that there is NO application pool.

WHY IS THIS SO COMPLICATED????? The normal IIS/ASP combination works
fine. Buy Microsoft really screwed the pooch on this .aspx/.net
blunder. It ought to just work "out of the box." When I installed 2003
Server it I selected to install IIS. It ought to "just work" and
people should NOT have to create custom accounts, run scripts,
configure custom pools, buy VS.net and sacrifice goats to the gods in
order for this to work.

This is not rocket science - it's one simple web page. I have WASTED
sooooo much time just trying to get this junk to work. And I'm no
closer today then I was this weekend when I started and who the hell
knows what sort of state my server is now after installing various
junk and running all sorts of incarnations of aspnet_xxxxx.exe apps.

Note to Microsoft - Unlike Vista and this debacle... try shipping
software that SIMPLY WORKS. Ever hear of KISS - Keep It Simple
Stupid????? This is way, way, way more complicated than it needs to
be or ought to be.

Sorry for the rant but I am sick and tired of spending the last 3-4
days trying to get my web server to serve one simple .aspx page. What
sort of idiot would create a product that is so damn complicated that
it requires all of these ridiculous fixes, hacks and work arounds in
order to run.

> [...]

> > why doesn't the installer warn me or fix it automatically. Sorry, but
> > your software sucks lately.!!!!!!!

> > The event log is filled with messages like:

> > <quote>
> > aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
> > 800700CB. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
> > insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure
> > that the .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on
> > the installation directory allow access to the configured account.
> > </quote>

> > Sorry Microsoft - But you are getting WORSE and WORSE. How about
> > software that simply works????

> > It's no wonder that Linux is kicking your butt and I'm about 30
> > seconds away from saying goodbye to your over-complicated bug ridden
> > crap and making the transition to linux myself.- Hide quoted text -

On Jul 3, 10:40 am, "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> re:
> !> Server Application Unavailable
> !> The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable.
>
> In Windows 2003, you have to specifically enable ASP.NET.
> The default, for security reasons, is that ASP.NET is not enabled.
>
> Open the IIS Manager, scroll on the left to "Web Service Extensions", then select
> the ASP.NET version you want to allow on the right pane, and click the "Allow" button.

Yes - I did this yesterday.

> You can also run:
>
> aspnet_regiis -enable
>
> Both procedures do the same thing : enable ASP.NET to run on W2K3.

I did this too. I didn't realize they did the same thing.

Kevin Liebowicz

On Jul 3, 10:45 am, "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Three more things...
>
> 1. Did you setup the root site to run against ASP.NET 2.0 ?
>
> http://bubba/default.aspxwill need to run using the .Net Framework 2.0
>
> Open the IIS Manager and, in the properties for the "Default Web Site"
> ( right-click it and select "Properties" ), select the ASP.NET tab,
> and make sure that 2.0.50727 is selected... )

It is selected and it is the only option that's available.

On this tab there's an entry for "File location" which is c:\inetpub
\wwwroot\web.config. - There is no such file. Should there be? Where
does this file come from?

Since there is no web.config file both entries for "File creation
date" and "File last mod" read "Date not available."

But if I go up one level (Web Sites - which is at the same level as
FTP Sites) and I go to the same dialog tab it has this which does
exist:

C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\config \web.config

> 2. Did you create the Application Pool for ASP.NET 2.0 ?
> ( as detailed in the same article :http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998297.aspx)

NO - Because the instructions say to expand the "Application Pools"
item in IIS manager. This does NOT exist on my computer. Without
Application Pools there's simply nothing to configure.

> 3. Make sure the root application is running in the Application Pool you just created.
> ( Again...in the Default Web Sites' properties in the IIS Manager )

My configuration doesn't have any Application Pools. And I have no
idea where I would set this if I did have an application pool. I right
click on the web-site and select properties. But I don't see anything
anywhere that lets me select an application pool. What tab is this on?

> [...]

> > > why doesn't the installer warn me or fix it automatically. Sorry, but
> > > your software sucks lately.!!!!!!!

> > > The event log is filled with messages like:

> > > <quote>
> > > aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
> > > 800700CB. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
> > > insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure
> > > that the .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on
> > > the installation directory allow access to the configured account.
> > > </quote>

> > > Sorry Microsoft - But you are getting WORSE and WORSE. How about
> > > software that simply works????

> > > It's no wonder that Linux is kicking your butt and I'm about 30
> > > seconds away from saying goodbye to your over-complicated bug ridden
> > > crap and making the transition to linux myself.- Hide quoted text -

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> re:
> !> I would but there is not "Application Pools" underneath the local
> !> computer or anywhere else in IIS Manager.
>
> Did you install, at least, the Web or Standard versions of Windows Server 2003 ?

As far as I know it's the "Standard" version of 2003 server. The
system properties reports "Windows Server 2003. Standard Edition.
Version 5.2 Build 3790.srv03_sp2_gdr.070304-2240: Service Pack 2"

> You should be seeing what is in the attached image
> ( with your own computer's name on it, of course ).
>
> Do you see anything similar ?

It's similar but not the same. I'm posting through Google groups so I
can't attach a screen shot but here's a description of how mine looks.

Top level - Internet Information Services... just like your screen
shot.
Next level - BUBBA (local computer)... just like yours but with my
computer name.
Below BUBBA (local computer) I have "FTP Sites" with a small red "X"
because the FTP server isn't running.
Followed by a folder for "Web Sites"... just like your screen shot.
Followed by a folder for "Web Service Extensions"... just like your
screen shot.

I do NOT have a folder for "Application Pools" or a folder for
"Default SMTP Virtual Server" - I don't ever recall seeing these
folders.

> re:
> !> It ought to just work "out of the box."
>
> It normally does, except when you choose to install IIS on a domain controller.

Why would this matter?? It's a server and it ought to be able to do
more than one thing at a time. It's a completely artificial limitation
not to be able to run a web server and a Active Directory on the same
machine. Because I want a small web-site in my house shouldn't force
me to buy another computer. This one is already sitting idle 99.99% of
the time.

> re:
> !> When I installed 2003 Server it I selected to install IIS. It ought to "just work"
> !> and people should NOT have to create custom accounts, run scripts, configure custom pools
>
> People normally don't have to do that...because they don't install IIS on domain controllers.
> Sorry, Kevin, but you have brought this on yourself.

I disagree. It's not like I did anything non-standard or out of the
ordinary. The official Microsoft install CD that I have includes both
the Active Directory and IIS components on the same physical CD. There
is no reason (other than selling another license) why one server can't
do more than one thing. It handles a household of 5 people. I'm not
going to buy another box, and another license just so that I can put
the web-server on a different machine. That's crazy. A "server" can
and should be able to do more than one thing at once. You know, like
"multi-tasking".

> If you don't have the need for a domain controller ( and, since you are only running
> a standalone server you don't), I'd install W2K3 in a different partition, as a standalone server,
> and not as a domain controller, and install IIS.

I DO have a need for a domain controller. I want a central place to
manage all of my computers including the computers that my wife and
kids use. I want a single place that manages all passwords and
authentication. I want a single place that all computers "login" to
where I can push service packes, security updates and other things to
all of the machines automatically without having to run around the
house and update each machine manually. I want to be able to centrally
control how much time my kids spend on the computer on school nights.

I use folder redirection so that when I log into any machine in the
house my desktop, "My Documents" and everything else that I care about
is right there for me. Everyones "My Documents" is redirected to the
server to make backing up data easy.

So I don't understand your statement of "since I'm only running a
standalone server I don't have the need for a domain controller." Is
there any way to do all of the above without a domain controller?

> It *will* work "out of the box", as soon as you enable ASP.NET.
>

> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
> "Kevin Liebowicz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> On Jul 3, 9:57 am, "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> <quote>
> Step 4. Create an Application Pool with a Custom Identity
> To create an application pool that runs using a custom service
> account
>
> Start Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
> In the left pane, expand the local computer and then expand
> Application Pools.
> </quote>
>
> I would but there is not "Application Pools" underneath the local
> computer or anywhere else in IIS Manager.

Dev Null

"Kevin Liebowicz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Yes, I wasted the past two days trying to fix this.
> Yes, this is on a Win2003 Server.
> Yes, this machine is a domain controller.

I had the same problem late last year and never got anywhere with it.
Microsoft wants to sell you another software license to run everything.
Seems that one Linux server is more than capable of running Apache, LDAP,
MySQL, SendMail and a slew of other software. Microsoft servers on the other
hand can only run two apps at once, a virus checker and an application of
your choice.

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that if you want to run a web server,
database, active directory, mail server, etc. then the answer will be that
you need to buy a dedicated machine for each task. Mark my words. Each
Mickeysoft "server" can barely function as a single-purpose dedicated
server. It's a joke.

Dev Null

> [...]

> > why doesn't the installer warn me or fix it automatically. Sorry, but
> > your software sucks lately.!!!!!!!

> > The event log is filled with messages like:

> > <quote>
> > aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
> > 800700CB. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
> > insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure
> > that the .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on
> > the installation directory allow access to the configured account.
> > </quote>

> > Sorry Microsoft - But you are getting WORSE and WORSE. How about
> > software that simply works????

> > It's no wonder that Linux is kicking your butt and I'm about 30
> > seconds away from saying goodbye to your over-complicated bug ridden
> > crap and making the transition to linux myself.- Hide quoted text -

Obviously what they're telling you is that IIS is not compatible with
Microsoft's own server product. Dump IIS and install Apache. It's faster,
uses less resources and can do everything that IIS does using standard (not
propreitary) open source technologies. Check out ruby on rails. It's great
technology that's easy to configure and use. By the time you get IIS working
on Windows you could have written your entire app using Apache and ruby on
rails. http://www.rubyonrails.org/

Most importantly, unlike Microsoft's own products, both Apache and Ruby on
Rails *IS* compatible with Windows 2003 server. Although eventually you'll
probably want to dump that server too and get something that can run more
than one task + a virus checker at a time.