Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > default browser

default browser

hels99@googlemail.com

Hi
We have BT broadband and, since it was installed, every time I click
on an HTML link, it opens in BT Yahoo browser. I would prefer the
links to open with IE (yes I know!!) but even though I have set IE as
my default browser, BTYahoo is the one that keeps popping up. I am a
member of a few Yahoo groups and I'm wondering if I uninstall BTYahoo,
will it affect my membership and usage of these groups.
All help gratefully received.
Helen W

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

> We have BT broadband and, since it was installed, every time I click
> on an HTML link, it opens in BT Yahoo browser. I would prefer the
> links to open with IE (yes I know!!) but even though I have set IE as
> my default browser, BTYahoo is the one that keeps popping up. I am a
> member of a few Yahoo groups and I'm wondering if I uninstall
> BTYahoo, will it affect my membership and usage of these groups. All
> help gratefully received.

What is a BT Yahoo browser?

Chances are very good that your use of the BT broadband installation
software has merely *branded* Internet Explorer to place their name on
the title bar of the browser window. Either that, or they installed a
modified copy of IE on your computer. "Branding" IE/OE is a popular
annoyance by many ISPs.

Remove the branding:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/ispunbrand.htm
http://help.expedient.com/browsers/removebranding.shtml
and others found via a Google search.

Consider using modern, secure browsers and email clients instead.
http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html

--
-bts