Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > what is the PythonWin

what is the PythonWin

steveandleyla@gmail.com

I downloaded Python 5.1 for windows so I could run a program.

I have to do the following:

In PythonWin, select Tools | COM MakePy utility | Microsoft Speech
Object Library 5.1).

I can't find PythonWin .. Does anybody know what this is. I have the
Python shell gui but no "PythonWin".

THanks.

O.R.Senthil Kumaran

* http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> [2007-07-01 15:53:30]:

> In PythonWin, select Tools | COM MakePy utility | Microsoft Speech
> Object Library 5.1).
>
> I can't find PythonWin .. Does anybody know what this is. I have the
> Python shell gui but no "PythonWin".

PythonWin is a separate project by Mark Hammond providing win32 extensions for
python.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/

--
O.R.Senthil Kumaran
http://uthcode.sarovar.org

Cameron Laird

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
O.R.Senthil Kumaran <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>* (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> [2007-07-01 15:53:30]:
>
>> In PythonWin, select Tools | COM MakePy utility | Microsoft Speech
>> Object Library 5.1).
>>
>> I can't find PythonWin .. Does anybody know what this is. I have the
>> Python shell gui but no "PythonWin".
>>

>PythonWin is a separate project by Mark Hammond providing win32 extensions for
>python.
>
>http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/

.
.
.
I believe there's confusion afoot.

Pythonwin <URL: http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonWin > is a
Python-oriented editor for Windows. Mark bundles Pythonwin
with a couple of other equally-intriguing pieces to make
pywin32. When I read, "win32 extensions for python", I think
of what Mark labels "win32api". I'm reasonably certain that,
in this case, steve had in mind specifically the editor, and
*not* all of win32all--although he'll surely want to know that
the canonical way to retrieve it is as part of pywin32 as a
whole.

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 15:53:30 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) declaimed
the following in comp.lang.python:

> I downloaded Python 5.1 for windows so I could run a program.

What is "Python 5.1"? The current version of Python is something
like 2.5.x...

> In PythonWin, select Tools | COM MakePy utility | Microsoft Speech
> Object Library 5.1).
>
> I can't find PythonWin .. Does anybody know what this is. I have the
> Python shell gui but no "PythonWin".

PythonWin is (or was) part of the win32 extension library for
Python. It is a separate download -- unless you downloaded the
ActiveState Windows build of Python. The ActiveState build includes the
win32 libraries and "PythonWin" (but lacks a few of the, otherwise
standard, encryption stuff -- which can be copied from a comparable
[version-wise] python.org release).
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
(E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed)

O.R.Senthil Kumaran

* Cameron Laird <(E-Mail Removed)> [2007-07-02 17:27:31]:

> >PythonWin is a separate project by Mark Hammond providing win32 extensions for
> >python.
> >
> >http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/

> .
> .
> .
> I believe there's confusion afoot.
>
> Pythonwin <URL: http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonWin > is a
> Python-oriented editor for Windows. Mark bundles Pythonwin
> with a couple of other equally-intriguing pieces to make
> pywin32. When I read, "win32 extensions for python", I think
> of what Mark labels "win32api". I'm reasonably certain that,

Thanks for the explaination, Cameron.
Yeah, there was a confusion from my end.
I hope the OP, got what he needed from the URL tough.

--
O.R.Senthil Kumaran
http://uthcode.sarovar.org

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 17:27:31 +0000, (E-Mail Removed) (Cameron Laird)

> Pythonwin <URL: http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonWin > is a
> Python-oriented editor for Windows. Mark bundles Pythonwin
> with a couple of other equally-intriguing pieces to make
> pywin32. When I read, "win32 extensions for python", I think
> of what Mark labels "win32api". I'm reasonably certain that,
> in this case, steve had in mind specifically the editor, and
> *not* all of win32all--although he'll surely want to know that
> the canonical way to retrieve it is as part of pywin32 as a
> whole.

Well... Since PythonWin (editor) won't work without the
extensions...
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
(E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed)
HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
HTTP://www.bestiaria.com/

Trent Mick

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> PythonWin is (or was) part of the win32 extension library for
> Python. It is a separate download -- unless you downloaded the
> ActiveState Windows build of Python. The ActiveState build includes the
> win32 libraries and "PythonWin" (but lacks a few of the, otherwise
> standard, encryption stuff -- which can be copied from a comparable
> [version-wise] python.org release).

Note that it is no longer true that ActivePython does not include the
standard encryption stuff (namely OpenSSL support for the socket module
and the hashlib libraries). As of ActivePython 2.5.0.0 full SSL support
is available.

Cheers,
Trent

--
Trent Mick
trentm at activestate.com

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 11:56:08 -0700, Trent Mick <(E-Mail Removed)>

> Note that it is no longer true that ActivePython does not include the
> standard encryption stuff (namely OpenSSL support for the socket module
> and the hashlib libraries). As of ActivePython 2.5.0.0 full SSL support
> is available.

Ah... I'm still on 2.4.x -- too lazy to track down 2.5 compatible
versions of all the third party stuff...

Detect PythonWin? Martin Bless Python 7 08-02-2003 04:18 AM
pythonwin and german chars, does anybody use pythonwin in non-us stephan Python 0 07-30-2003 09:26 AM
Retrieving commands history on Pythonwin Adam Python 0 07-25-2003 10:12 PM
Where can one get Python 1.4 and Pythonwin 1.0? Richard Lee Python 2 07-22-2003 01:39 PM
PythonWin dynamic toolbar Ilariu Raducan Python 0 07-07-2003 12:40 PM

Advertisments