Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Consumer Reports rated digital photo editors including freeware

Consumer Reports rated digital photo editors including freeware

Bear Bottoms

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 22:06:16 -0500, catherine yronwode <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 02:06:24 -0000, plb49 wrote:
>
>>> I am heavy into graphics, and mainly try to keep abreast of
>>> all the freebies. The newest thing to come down the freebie
>>> pike is .. PhotoScape 3 (Google that) or try here:
>>> http://www.download.com/PhotoScape/3...-10703123.html

>> Have you seen Paint.NET?
>> http://www.getpaint.net/index2.html

> Uh oh. It says "free download" at http://www.getpaint.net/index2.html
> Is this a freeware photo editor or just masquarading as free?

LOL, you have to be careful with that "free download." Sometimes it does
lead to freeware, sometimes it don't. Sometimes you feel like a nut,
sometimes you don't. This one is a good free one.

--
Bear Bottoms
Freeware website: http://bearbottoms1.com

Bear Bottoms

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 01:37:07 -0500, Unclaimed Mysteries
<the_letter_k_and_the_numeral_4_doh@unclaimedmyste ries.net> wrote:

> catherine yronwode wrote in part:
>
>> By the way, speaking of Gimp, how come Consumer Reports didn't even test
>> Gimp as a freeware photo editor. I'll bet it beats photoshop in
>> functionality and price!

> The Gimp is not freeware, by a strict definition of that term.

LOL, how much did you pay for your copy. OMG...strict definition..LOL

--
Bear Bottoms
Freeware website: http://bearbottoms1.com

Bear Bottoms

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 02:32:53 -0500, Susan Bugher <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Unclaimed Mysteries wrote:

>>> I'm not looking to start a debate. I'm just wondering what good it
>>> does to reference "a strict definition" when you haven't given any
>>> details about what that definition is and there is not broad agreement
>>> on a single definition for the term. (See, for example, the
>>> definitions on m-w.com and wikipedia.org, neither of which really
>>> fits with your strict definition.)

>> I'm sorry, I fell asleep. Could you repeat the question?

> Please define your "strict definition" of Freeware. Please explain why
> The Gimp does not meet that definition.
>
> on second thought. . . nevermind.
>
> The Gimp *IS* Freeware by alt.comp.freeware's definition. (The Gimp is
> also FOSS (free open source software)).
>
> http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf...y.php#Freeware
> "Freeware: Legally obtainable software that you may use at no cost,
> monetary or otherwise, for as long as you wish."
>
> Susan

ACF doesn't have a definition of freeware. Pricelessware does not define
this NG.

--
Bear Bottoms
Freeware website: http://bearbottoms1.com

Bear Bottoms

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 04:35:32 -0500, Susan Bugher <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Agree. Some FOSS apps have monetary or non-monetary costs. Freeware and
> FOSS are complementary terms if you use sensible definitions.
> Freeware may or nay not also be FOSS. FOSS may or may not also be
> Freeware.
>
> Susan

Freeware is free software period. You have no authority to define anything
but for yourself. Others have to decide for themselves what they will or
won't accept.

--
Bear Bottoms
Freeware website: http://bearbottoms1.com

Ray Fischer

catherine yronwode <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> CU did a report on IrfanView and other editors a few years ago. They
>> were not impressed with Irfanview.

>What I like about Irfanview is not the "editing" capability but the sheer
>speed in viewing pictures. Is any freeware photo "viewer" as fast as
>Irfanview? I think not.

"Preview" on a Mac is fast and free and displays a wide variety of
image formats including PDG and RAW.

--
Ray Fischer

Susan Bugher

Posted to alt.comp.freeware by Craig on Wed, 06 Sep 2006
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...7?dmode=source

<partial quote>
No, it's free but...

-It's registerware and
-The ToC's seem a bit burdensome:

> 1.18 (iii)...Specifically, you
> acknowledge and agree that Corel may monitor your Use of the Product,
> and collect, use, and share with Corel's third party marketing
> partners, data relating to your Use of the Product for advertising,
> marketing and operational purposes, all in accordance with Corel's
> Privacy Policy located at www.corel.com/privacy. Use of the Product
> constitutes consent to such monitoring and data collection, and to
> receipt of in-Product and other messages from Corel and its third
> party marketing partners.

</q>

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://www.google.com/advanced_group....comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Ray Fischer wrote:
> catherine yronwode <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 20:06:29 -0500, M.L. wrote:

>>What I like about Irfanview is not the "editing" capability but the sheer
>>speed in viewing pictures. Is any freeware photo "viewer" as fast as
>>Irfanview? I think not.

> "Preview" on a Mac is fast and free and displays a wide variety of
> image formats including PDG and RAW.

re a wide variety of formats:
IrfanView
http://www.irfanview.com/main_formats.htm
XnView
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enformats.html

XnView supports a variety of OS too (including MacOS X). see
http://perso.orange.fr/pierre.g/xnvi...wnloadgfl.html

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher wrote:

> Ray Fischer wrote:
>
>> catherine yronwode <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 20:06:29 -0500, M.L. wrote:

>>> What I like about Irfanview is not the "editing" capability but the
>>> sheer
>>> speed in viewing pictures. Is any freeware photo "viewer" as fast as
>>> Irfanview? I think not.

>> "Preview" on a Mac is fast and free and displays a wide variety of
>> image formats including PDG and RAW.

> re a wide variety of formats:
> IrfanView
> http://www.irfanview.com/main_formats.htm
> XnView
> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enformats.html
>
> XnView supports a variety of OS too (including MacOS X). see
> http://perso.orange.fr/pierre.g/xnvi...wnloadgfl.html

oops - wrong link. see
http://perso.orange.fr/pierre.g/xnview/endownload.html

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://www.google.com/advanced_group....comp.freeware

hummingbird

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 03:13:33 GMT 'catherine yronwode'
posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:

>What I like about Irfanview is not the "editing" capability but the sheer
>speed in viewing pictures. Is any freeware photo "viewer" as fast as
>Irfanview? I think not.
>
>So, it's no wonder Consumer Reports didn't rate it well then nor now as
>it's not really a freeware photo editor such as Gimp.
>
>By the way, speaking of Gimp, how come Consumer Reports didn't even test
>Gimp as a freeware photo editor. I'll bet it beats photoshop in
>functionality and price!

I don't know about Gimp but Photoshop adds tags into any file it saves
which I then have to strip out with jpgCleaner.

--
1.John Corliss says people should publish who they're filtering out:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...e29402fbf31c0e

2.I do not killfile googlegroups posts.

Peter Bruells

catherine yronwode <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> By the way, speaking of Gimp, how come Consumer Reports didn't even test
> Gimp as a freeware photo editor. I'll bet it beats photoshop in
> functionality and price!

GIMP doesn't support CYMK, has a depth of 8 bit -- a DLSR's RAW format
will have a depth of 12 to 14 bit.

No real gamma support, only limited support of color models or color
managment, adjustment layers and a couple of other stuff.