Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Consumer Reports rated digital photo editors including freeware

Consumer Reports rated digital photo editors including freeware

Bear Bottoms

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 16:32:33 -0500, catherine yronwode <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 16:15:28 -0500, Bear Bottoms wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 14:57:52 -0500, Mark Warner
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> It's not free.
>>>

>> OOPS...something wrong with that!

> Oh my. I didn't mean for the point to be the Consumer Reports link ...
> the
> point was that Consumer Reports RATED PHOTO EDITOR FREEWARE such as
> Irfanview, Picasa, and Snapfire.
>
> I thought it was interesting as I had never seen a review on CR for
> freeware before.

It's ok. The information you gave was interesting. Everyone is testy right
now Look past it and have fun here. I'll look forward to your
participation.

--
Bear Bottoms
Freeware website: http://bearbottoms1.com

Mike Russell

>> Oh my. I didn't mean for the point to be the Consumer Reports link ...
>> the
>> point was that Consumer Reports RATED PHOTO EDITOR FREEWARE such as
>> Irfanview, Picasa, and Snapfire.
>>
>> I thought it was interesting as I had never seen a review on CR for
>> freeware before.

No good deed goes unpunished - I'm with ASAAR and others in saying kudos
for posting something interesting.
--
Mike Russell - www.curvemeister.com

ray

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 18:34:48 +0000, catherine yronwode wrote:

> I just noticed Consumer Reports evaluated & rated, for the first time I've
> ever seen, freeware digital photo-editing sofware such as
> - Picasa 2.2.0 http://picasa.google.com
> - IrfanView 3.99 http://www.infranview.com
> - Corel Snapfire 1.10 http://www.corel.com
>
> You can find the results at
> http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/e..._soft_tips.htm
>
> Picasa got a 46 rating, Irfanview a 45, and Snapfire a 42 out of 100.
> In comparison, "not freeware" Adobe Photoshot Elements 5.0 rated a 74 while
> Corel Snaprie 1.00 Plus rated a 51 with ACD Systems ACDSee Photo Manager,
> Microsoft Digital Image Suite, and Roxio Easy Media Creator in between.
>
> They also rated digital camera editing software, but I can't imagine anyone
> using those ad laden bloated excuses for registration so I won't delve
> further.
>
> catherine

In typical CR style - too little, too late. GIMP is the premiere
OpenSource photo editor, so they didn't even bother.

ASAAR

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 21:32:33 GMT, catherine yronwode wrote:

> Oh my. I didn't mean for the point to be the Consumer Reports link ... the
> point was that Consumer Reports RATED PHOTO EDITOR FREEWARE such as
> Irfanview, Picasa, and Snapfire.
>
> I thought it was interesting as I had never seen a review on CR for
> freeware before.

It was. Your single OP was of far more interesting than almost all
of the many dozens of OPs from another of this newsgroup's Rich
denizens. I wonder how many times ad-based magazines include or
seriously consider photo editor freeware in their software reviews.

Added note: This message is being re-posted, since it wasn't sent to
all of the OP's included newsgroups, and didn't mention that the
newsgroup referred to in the body should be r.p.d.

Oliver Costich

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 14:57:52 -0500, Mark Warner
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Bear Bottoms wrote:
>>>
>>> Nothing wrong with a free subscription from consumer reports.

>> It's not free.
>>

>OOPS...something wrong with that!

SOmething wrong with posting out of your ass in the first place.

Bear Bottoms

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 18:43:27 -0500, Oliver Costich
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 16:15:28 -0500, "Bear Bottoms"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 14:57:52 -0500, Mark Warner
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> It's not free.
>>>

>> OOPS...something wrong with that!

> SOmething wrong with posting out of your ass in the first place.

Hi angry person. All ya gotta do is give the gal a break eh! She brought
some interesting info and everyone is 'doing' her. Not in a loving way.
Nor is yours.

--
Bear Bottoms
Freeware website: http://bearbottoms1.com

M.L.

>> I just noticed Consumer Reports evaluated & rated, for the first
>> time I've ever seen, freeware digital photo-editing sofware such as
>> - Picasa 2.2.0 http://picasa.google.com
>> - IrfanView 3.99 http://www.infranview.com
>> - Corel Snapfire 1.10 http://www.corel.com

CU did a report on IrfanView and other editors a few years ago. They
were not impressed with Irfanview.

M.L.

> In typical CR style - too little, too late. GIMP is the premiere
> OpenSource photo editor, so they didn't even bother.

Consumer Reports places heavy emphasis on ease-of-use issues, so they
wouldn't have liked GIMP anyway.

plb49

On Jul 1, 2:49?pm, Lord Possum <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <ctShi.7723$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...> I just noticed Consumer Reports evaluated & rated, for the first time I've
> > ever seen, freeware digital photo-editing sofware such as
> > - Picasa 2.2.0http://picasa.google.com
> > - IrfanView 3.99http://www.infranview.com
> > - Corel Snapfire 1.10http://www.corel.com

> I am heavy into graphics, and mainly try to keep abreast of
> all the freebies. The newest thing to come down the freebie
> pike is .. PhotoScape 3 (Google that) or try here:
>
> http://www.download.com/PhotoScape/3...-10703123.html
>
> At this point, after a couple days of playing with it,
> all I can say is ... WOW. Haven't found another freebie
> anything like it. Lottsa commercial stuff, but no freebies.
>
> Lord Possum

Have you seen Paint.NET?

http://www.getpaint.net/index2.html

Looks interesting!

Paul B.
www.scienceteacher.biz

catherine yronwode

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 02:06:24 -0000, plb49 wrote:

>> I am heavy into graphics, and mainly try to keep abreast of
>> all the freebies. The newest thing to come down the freebie
>> pike is .. PhotoScape 3 (Google that) or try here:
>> http://www.download.com/PhotoScape/3...-10703123.html

> Have you seen Paint.NET?
> http://www.getpaint.net/index2.html

Uh oh. It says "free download" at http://www.getpaint.net/index2.html
Is this a freeware photo editor or just masquarading as free?