Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > alternative to adobe acrobate 8?

alternative to adobe acrobate 8?

doS

any suggestions?
TIA

Larry

doS wrote:

> any suggestions?
> TIA

ftp://ftp.foolabs.com/pub/xpdf/xpdf-3.02-win32.zip

Clogwog

doS wrote:
> any suggestions?

Foxit
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

> TIA

GFIA

WhzzKdd

"doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%8Rhi.20$(E-Mail Removed)...
> any suggestions?
> TIA

How serious are you? The alternatives don't seem to "have it all", but if
you merely want to use them as a print driver to output what you see create
in your apps (Word, Excel, web, email, anything that you can print) they are
fine. I've used several apps that create PDF files - including Acrobat.

These are free: www.primopdf.com, www.pdf995.com (although the later pops
up ads unless you pay the $9.95 US)

And this one is specialized (also not free): www.scan2email.net

Acrobat gives me the distiller - the ability to generate many different
resolutions - I use the press quality output for some of my work at the
office that goes to our local printer. And it also scans to PDF for me, like
the Scan2Email above.

doS

A8 has know issues, it wont stay open and crashed constantly.Abode is aware,
but hasnt acted on it yet, even the lastest update to 8.1 craps out.

news:YARhi.32$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%8Rhi.20$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> any suggestions?
>> TIA

> How serious are you? The alternatives don't seem to "have it all", but if
> you merely want to use them as a print driver to output what you see
> create in your apps (Word, Excel, web, email, anything that you can print)
> they are fine. I've used several apps that create PDF files - including
> Acrobat.
>
> These are free: www.primopdf.com, www.pdf995.com (although the later pops
> up ads unless you pay the $9.95 US)
>
> And this one is specialized (also not free): www.scan2email.net
>
> Acrobat gives me the distiller - the ability to generate many different
> resolutions - I use the press quality output for some of my work at the
> office that goes to our local printer. And it also scans to PDF for me,
> like the Scan2Email above.
>
> --
> I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

WhzzKdd

Yeah - I use it on my home PC in Vista just fine, but I know of others who
had problems. If you don't need the scan-to-PDF functions, I really like the
PrimoPDF for simplicity (and price!)

"doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsHRhi.33$(E-Mail Removed)...
> A8 has know issues, it wont stay open and crashed constantly.Abode is
> aware, but hasnt acted on it yet, even the lastest update to 8.1 craps
> out.
>
> "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
> news:YARhi.32$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%8Rhi.20$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> any suggestions?
>>> TIA

>> How serious are you? The alternatives don't seem to "have it all", but if
>> you merely want to use them as a print driver to output what you see
>> create in your apps (Word, Excel, web, email, anything that you can
>> print) they are fine. I've used several apps that create PDF files -
>> including Acrobat.
>>
>> These are free: www.primopdf.com, www.pdf995.com (although the later
>> pops up ads unless you pay the $9.95 US)
>>
>> And this one is specialized (also not free): www.scan2email.net
>>
>> Acrobat gives me the distiller - the ability to generate many different
>> resolutions - I use the press quality output for some of my work at the
>> office that goes to our local printer. And it also scans to PDF for me,
>> like the Scan2Email above.
>>
>> --
>> I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

doS

Check out Nitro PDF...cool

news:t8Shi.26$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yeah - I use it on my home PC in Vista just fine, but I know of others who
> had problems. If you don't need the scan-to-PDF functions, I really like
> the PrimoPDF for simplicity (and price!)
>
> "doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsHRhi.33$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> A8 has know issues, it wont stay open and crashed constantly.Abode is
>> aware, but hasnt acted on it yet, even the lastest update to 8.1 craps
>> out.
>>
>> "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
>> news:YARhi.32$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%8Rhi.20$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>

>>> How serious are you? The alternatives don't seem to "have it all", but
>>> if you merely want to use them as a print driver to output what you see
>>> create in your apps (Word, Excel, web, email, anything that you can
>>> print) they are fine. I've used several apps that create PDF files -
>>> including Acrobat.
>>>
>>> These are free: www.primopdf.com, www.pdf995.com (although the later
>>> pops up ads unless you pay the $9.95 US)
>>>
>>> And this one is specialized (also not free): www.scan2email.net
>>>
>>> Acrobat gives me the distiller - the ability to generate many different
>>> resolutions - I use the press quality output for some of my work at the
>>> office that goes to our local printer. And it also scans to PDF for me,
>>> like the Scan2Email above.
>>>
>>> --
>>> I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
>>>

> --
> I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

WhzzKdd

It has the forms creation and most other things - but I didn't see any
options to scan to PDF - but I didn't download and install it. If you put
the software on your PC, check that for me: I need to be able to do that on
a couple more PCs at work.

"doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u%Whi.59$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Check out Nitro PDF...cool
>
> "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
> news:t8Shi.26$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yeah - I use it on my home PC in Vista just fine, but I know of others
>> who had problems. If you don't need the scan-to-PDF functions, I really
>> like the PrimoPDF for simplicity (and price!)
>>
>> "doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> newsHRhi.33$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> A8 has know issues, it wont stay open and crashed constantly.Abode is
>>> aware, but hasnt acted on it yet, even the lastest update to 8.1 craps
>>> out.
>>>
>>> "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
>>> news:YARhi.32$(E-Mail Removed)...

doS

it does have it, scan to pdf...

news:kDXhi.52$(E-Mail Removed)...
> It has the forms creation and most other things - but I didn't see any
> options to scan to PDF - but I didn't download and install it. If you put
> the software on your PC, check that for me: I need to be able to do that
> on a couple more PCs at work.
>
> "doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:u%Whi.59$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Check out Nitro PDF...cool
>>
>> "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
>> news:t8Shi.26$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Yeah - I use it on my home PC in Vista just fine, but I know of others
>>> who had problems. If you don't need the scan-to-PDF functions, I really
>>> like the PrimoPDF for simplicity (and price!)
>>>
>>> "doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> newsHRhi.33$(E-Mail Removed)...

> --
> I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

WhzzKdd

Cool - I'll have to see about their multi-user pricing, and compare that to
Acrobat. I have at least 4 users I know of at work that could really use
that. We put in a MFC type printer on the network that will allow them to
scan, but since they don't have scan-to-pdf they have a hard time using it.
I showed one user how to scan to a JPG, then print the JPG to a PDF, but
they think that's too difficult. Grrrr...

news:i4Yhi.63$(E-Mail Removed)...