Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > How to improve our wireless signal?

How to improve our wireless signal?

gperry@peoplescom.net

We have wireless internet that works well everywhere but a back
bedroom where the signal is very low. We have run a cat5 cable from
the router to that room but would like to be wireless back there also.
Moving the router is not an option so my question is, can we simply
install a second router using the cat5 cable from the main router? or
is there another solution? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, GP

- Bobb -

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We have wireless internet that works well everywhere but a back
> bedroom where the signal is very low. We have run a cat5 cable from
> the router to that room but would like to be wireless back there also.
> Moving the router is not an option so my question is, can we simply
> install a second router using the cat5 cable from the main router? or
> is there another solution? Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks, GP

More info over at

alt.internet.wireless newsgroup

dold@24.usenet.us.com

In alt.internet.wireless - Bobb - <bobb@noemail.123> wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > We have wireless internet that works well everywhere but a back
> > bedroom where the signal is very low. We have run a cat5 cable from

You could add a simple reflector. If you get some signal at the PCs now,
this could give you substantial boost.

http://www.freeantennas.com EZ-12, printed on photo paper for thick stock,
with aluminum foil glued to the sail, provides a substantial boost in
signal. http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/EZ12-windsurfer.jpg
http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/w...fer-dining.JPG The signal with
the reflector is not only 13dB stronger, it's more stable.

Jeff Liebermann

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> We have wireless internet that works well everywhere but a back
>> bedroom where the signal is very low. We have run a cat5 cable from
>> the router to that room but would like to be wireless back there also.
>> Moving the router is not an option so my question is, can we simply
>> install a second router using the cat5 cable from the main router? or
>> is there another solution? Any advice would be appreciated.

If you have CAT5 and no signal, just buy a wireless access point or
wireless router and install it in the back bedroom. Just about
anything will work. If you purchase a wireless router, it's easy to
disable the router section and DHCP server, thus converting it into a
wireless access point. See:
<http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi_How_To#Use_a_wireless_router_as_a_wireless_acce ss_point>

Put this added access point on a different channel (1, 6, or 11) than
the main wireless router to prevent interference. If you want to try
seamless roaming, set both for the same SSID. Otherwise, use
different SSID's so you can select which one to connect.

--
Jeff Liebermann http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Spajky

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 01:01:00 +0000 (UTC), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>In alt.internet.wireless - Bobb - <bobb@noemail.123> wrote:
>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > We have wireless internet that works well everywhere but a back
>> > bedroom where the signal is very low.

>You could add a simple reflector. ....
>http://www.freeantennas.com EZ-12, printed on photo paper for thick stock,
>with aluminum foil glued to the sail, provides a substantial boost in
>signal. http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/EZ12-windsurfer.jpg

some more solutions on client side : See pics & data to get some clues
& ideas (text is in my native-slovene, so you won´t understand it)

DIY from standard 0dBi wifi card antenna (supplied with) on 1m cable
w/ RP-SMA conn. ... sorry, not in english yet :-/ ...
http://www.wlan-sat.com/modules.php?...ewtopic&t=3847
http://www.wlan-sat.com/modules.php?...ewtopic&t=4241

DIY with wifi UsbKey for"Dummies":
http://www.wlan-sat.com/modules.php?...&p=26476#26476