Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Dead PC

Dead PC

Dave

What would be the preferred way to troubleshoot a desktop Windows XP
PC that didn't show any evidence of going through the POST when turned
on? I.e., the keyboard lights to turn on/off, and the screen showing
HD types, BIOS version, etc., doesn't even come up.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Dave wrote:
> What would be the preferred way to troubleshoot a desktop Windows XP
> PC that didn't show any evidence of going through the POST when turned
> on? I.e., the keyboard lights to turn on/off, and the screen showing
> HD types, BIOS version, etc., doesn't even come up.

You didn't mention if you hear any fans or drives spinning.

But if it's completely dead, I usually go through the components in the
case, removing them one at a time and trying to start it up. First the
drives, one at a time unplug the cables going to them. Then the
expansion cards, take them out one at a time. Then the memory, last the
video (you sure as hell won't get anything on the monitor then, but it
should spin up the fans and beep some if that was the problem). If you
get down to just the power supply, the motherboard and processor, it
gets trickier without replacement parts to test with.

ded

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> What would be the preferred way to troubleshoot a desktop Windows XP
> PC that didn't show any evidence of going through the POST when turned
> on? I.e., the keyboard lights to turn on/off, and the screen showing
> HD types, BIOS version, etc., doesn't even come up.

Do you mean it just displays the XP flash screen and then rapidly
loads Windows?
Or
Do you mean that the PC obviously powers on but nothing displays
onscreen?

Dave

On Jul 1, 6:23 am, "ded" <stark.*******(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
> > What would be the preferred way to troubleshoot a desktop Windows XP
> > PC that didn't show any evidence of going through the POST when turned
> > on? I.e., the keyboard lights to turn on/off, and the screen showing
> > HD types, BIOS version, etc., doesn't even come up.

> Do you mean it just displays the XP flash screen and then rapidly
> loads Windows?
> Or
> Do you mean that the PC obviously powers on but nothing displays
> onscreen?

PC powers on but nothing displays on screen. Also doesn't appear to do
POST (no lights on keyboard flashing on and off).

GHalleck

Dave wrote:

> On Jul 1, 6:23 am, "ded" <stark.*******(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
>>

>>>What would be the preferred way to troubleshoot a desktop Windows XP
>>>PC that didn't show any evidence of going through the POST when turned
>>>on? I.e., the keyboard lights to turn on/off, and the screen showing
>>>HD types, BIOS version, etc., doesn't even come up.

>>Do you mean it just displays the XP flash screen and then rapidly
>>loads Windows?
>>Or
>>Do you mean that the PC obviously powers on but nothing displays
>>onscreen?

> PC powers on but nothing displays on screen. Also doesn't appear to do
> POST (no lights on keyboard flashing on and off).

Have you opened the computer case and verified that all of the components
are there, esp. the CPU, RAM and video card, and that they are properly
seated? Is the video card functioning? IOW, what is the history of this
particular desktop, such as when was it last known to be working? And
was anything done to it since that time?

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What would be the preferred way to troubleshoot a desktop Windows XP
>PC that didn't show any evidence of going through the POST when turned
>on? I.e., the keyboard lights to turn on/off, and the screen showing
>HD types, BIOS version, etc., doesn't even come up.

New monitor, check monitor cable, change video cards.

--

What happened before the Big Bang?
http://tinyurl.com/2brkrj

Plato

Dave wrote:

> What would be the preferred way to troubleshoot a desktop Windows XP
> PC that didn't show any evidence of going through the POST when turned
> on? I.e., the keyboard lights to turn on/off, and the screen showing
> HD types, BIOS version, etc., doesn't even come up.

Common reason one has a bad poewer supply.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

ProfGene

Dave wrote:
> What would be the preferred way to troubleshoot a desktop Windows XP
> PC that didn't show any evidence of going through the POST when turned
> on? I.e., the keyboard lights to turn on/off, and the screen showing
> HD types, BIOS version, etc., doesn't even come up.

There is no way to know what might be causing such a problem. It could
be the processor is no good or the motherboard died. These days a new
motherboard and processor are not that expensive but it depends on how
good a system you want it to be. I am assuming the power supply is working.

Dead TCP/IP Stack = DEAD VISTA !! Skybuck Flying Windows 64bit 15 09-23-2007 07:54 PM
AdBlock Dead Firefox 3 12-09-2005 11:54 PM
Dead Firefox windows Doug Cunningly Firefox 3 07-22-2005 08:32 AM
Firefox cache glitch - the dead rise again! Jim Firefox 1 03-22-2005 09:48 PM
Dead... the damn thing's dead... David Dean Computer Support 9 01-30-2004 02:54 AM

Advertisments