Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Please respond with reasonable answers. [Laptop has a unique identifying code number -- what is this number called?]

Please respond with reasonable answers. [Laptop has a unique identifying code number -- what is this number called?]

Radium

On Jun 18, 10:28 am, Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...7e42224?hl=en&
:

>Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
>is identified by any network to which it tries to connect.

Is this "number" the MAC address? Or the locally administered network
address? Or something totally different?

What is this number called?

No offense but please respond with reasonable answers & keep out the
jokes, off-topic nonsense, taunts, insults, and trivializations. I am
really interested in this.

Vanguard

"Radium" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
> Whiskers wrote
>
>>Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
>>is identified by any network to which it tries to connect.

> Is this "number" the MAC address? Or the locally administered network
> address? Or something totally different?
>
> What is this number called?
>
> No offense but please respond with reasonable answers & keep out the
> jokes, off-topic nonsense, taunts, insults, and trivializations. I am
> really interested in this.

MAC address.

Muze Groops

Radium wrote:
> On Jun 18, 10:28 am, Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...7e42224?hl=en&
> :
>
>> Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
>> is identified by any network to which it tries to connect.

> Is this "number" the MAC address? Or the locally administered network
> address? Or something totally different?
>
> What is this number called?
>
> No offense but please respond with reasonable answers & keep out the
> jokes, off-topic nonsense, taunts, insults, and trivializations. I am
> really interested in this.

the mac address

....or is it?

Stanley

Radium wrote:
> On Jun 18, 10:28 am, Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...7e42224?hl=en&
>>

>> Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
>> is identified by any network to which it tries to connect.

> Is this "number" the MAC address?

Yes

> Or the locally administered network
> address?

Yes, can be tied to the mac address

> Or something totally different?

Media Access Control address
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address
http://devices.natetrue.com/macshift/
http://www.klcconsulting.net/smac/

> What is this number called?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Radium wrote:
> On Jun 18, 10:28 am, Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...7e42224?hl=en&
> :
>

>>Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
>>is identified by any network to which it tries to connect.

> Is this "number" the MAC address? Or the locally administered network
> address? Or something totally different?
>
> What is this number called?
>
> No offense but please respond with reasonable answers & keep out the
> jokes, off-topic nonsense, taunts, insults, and trivializations. I am
> really interested in this.

The basis for your question, i.e. "a unique identifying code number"
does not narrow it down to a single answer. Perhaps you mean the serial
number on the bottom of most laptops, perhaps you mean the MAC address
of the networking device in the laptop. Until you are more specific, it
would be very hard to give a definitive answer. If you mean the MAC
address, it's an twelve character alphanumeric identifier assigned to
networking devices such as wireless cards and ethernet cards. They are
supposed to be unique, but accidents can happen. And if you have two or
more networking devices then you have two or more MAC addresses in the
same machine.

If you'd be so kind as to use Google and type in "define MAC address"
there's a lot more information available than I'd care to retype.

PeeCee

"Radium" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
> On Jun 18, 10:28 am, Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...7e42224?hl=en&
> :
>
>>Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
>>is identified by any network to which it tries to connect.

> Is this "number" the MAC address? Or the locally administered network
> address? Or something totally different?
>
> What is this number called?
>
> No offense but please respond with reasonable answers & keep out the
> jokes, off-topic nonsense, taunts, insults, and trivializations. I am
> really interested in this.

Radium

Even though your quote is lacking sufficient detail to place it in context
the most likely 'number' your quote refers to is what is know as a TCP/IP
address. The TCP/IP networking protocol is the protocol used on the Internet
and nowdays the majority of Local Area Networks.

TCP/IP networking works by assigning a unique number to each computer or
device connected to the network.
This number can be permanently assigned (static address) or lent temporarly
from a pool of address's (dynamic) address. The numbers are made up of four
octets separated by a dot. The numbers range from 0.0.0.0 to
255.255.255.255, for example 64.233.187.99 is the Internet address for
Google.com.
Therefore for your Laptop to connect to a TCP/IP network you must either
assign a TCP/IP address to it or have one granted to it by some other
authority.

Depending on your method of connection to the Internet either your Laptop
(for dial up) or your Router (for broadband) will be assigned a TCP/IP
number from your ISP's pool of numbers that it has bought the rights to.
You could think of this TCP/IP address as akin to a house number/street
address for your regular snail mail.

There are many reference documents available on the Web that will give you
chapter and verse on the tiniest detail of TCP/IP. For example
http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...G=Search&meta=
I can only encourage you to read them up.

Best
Paul.

Walter Mautner

Radium wrote:

> On Jun 18, 10:28 am, Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...7e42224?hl=en&
> :

> No offense but please respond with reasonable answers & keep out the
> jokes, off-topic nonsense, taunts, insults, and trivializations. I am
> really interested in this.

Uhm. Finally, this was the 3rd thread from you without any
clarification "which" unique number you are talking about and how the
number would be transmitted. There is the MAC address , the CPUID and the
serial number of your(?) laptop. The former two numbers are captured by
programs like windows activation/validation, and munged to a code that's
transferred regularly. Some other programs may as well grab the IDs without
munging them, and send them elsewhere.
In addition, the serial number of most modern laptops as printed on the
label, is also imprinted into the bios chip - some management software (DMI
or other) can get that one as well.
If you are really paranoid, don't use a computer or at least do not connect
it to the internet, or only use public computers at internet cafes where
you don't need to prove identity.

Ghostrider

Radium wrote:

> On Jun 18, 10:28 am, Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...7e42224?hl=en&
> :
>

>>Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
>>is identified by any network to which it tries to connect.

> Is this "number" the MAC address? Or the locally administered network
> address? Or something totally different?
>
> What is this number called?
>
> No offense but please respond with reasonable answers & keep out the
> jokes, off-topic nonsense, taunts, insults, and trivializations. I am
> really interested in this.

The distinctive identification is probably the MAC address. However,
it has no meaning unless it can be linked to other information. IOW,
it is just a number. Any local administrator can use the MAC address
to assign an identification to the laptop but the relevance is between
the laptop and the interested network. In this instance, the laptop
might be known by its assigned domain name, e.g., Radium226.

From this point, where else do you want to take this discussion?

gangle

"Radium" wrote
> On Jun 18, 10:28 am, Whiskers wrote

> >Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
> >is identified by any network to which it tries to connect.

> Is this "number" the MAC address? Or the locally administered network
> address? Or something totally different?
>
> What is this number called?
>
> No offense but please respond with reasonable answers & keep out the
> jokes, off-topic nonsense, taunts, insults, and trivializations. I am
> really interested in this.

No offense, but your subject line is WAY too ****ing long for a
newsgroup text post. And you have no clue what is off topic in
this NG; for instance, my calling you a vacuous, dim-bulb google
grouper is no more or less off topic than discussing numbers
stamped on a laptop computer. HTH

pcbutts1

Hey dumb ****. It's called a MAC address, you have been told that numerous
times. Now repaet after me MAC address MAC address MAC address MAC address
MAC address MAC address MAC address MAC address MAC address MAC address MAC
address MAC address MAC address MAC address MAC address got it now?