Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Laptop has a unique identifying code number -- what is this number called?

Laptop has a unique identifying code number -- what is this number called?

Radium

On Jun 18, 10:28 am, Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...7e42224?hl=en&
:

>Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
>is identified by any network to which it tries to connect.

Is this "number" the MAC address? Or the locally administered network
address? Or something totally different?

What is this number called?

WhzzKdd

"Radium" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Jun 18, 10:28 am, Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...7e42224?hl=en&
> :
>
>>Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
>>is identified by any network to which it tries to connect.

> Is this "number" the MAC address? Or the locally administered network
> address? Or something totally different?
>
> What is this number called?

You again? What are you quoting there, from where, and why? Out of context
it is rather difficult to know what the answer to the question is.

Mike Easter

Radium wrote:
> Whiskers

>> Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
>> is identified by any network to which it tries to connect.

> Is this "number" the MAC address? Or the locally administered network
> address? Or something totally different?
>
> What is this number called?

I'm pretty sure Whiskers has probably dropped you.

You are all taking, sucking, but nothing positive coming back. Kinda
like a black hole, without an event horizon where anything important is
going on.

Starting a new topic for the same old diatribe doesn't make it any more
important.

--
Mike Easter

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Radium <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Jun 18, 10:28 am, Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...7e42224?hl=en&
>:
>
>>Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
>>is identified by any network to which it tries to connect.

>Is this "number" the MAC address? Or the locally administered network
>address? Or something totally different?

Other thread delt with Mac address's.

>What is this number called?

There is another number that is in place and ready to go, not only
will it identify you, it will be capable of blocking you from the
internet.

Google: Trusted Computing (for info)
Google: trusted computing site:slashdot.org (for technical)
Google: trusted computing intel (that it's in the chips already)

Keep an eye on it's progress...

It's name? I guess Trusted Computing Platform
http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/develope.../eng/20252.htm
--

Woman tries to buy all of the iPhones at a store and gets owned.
http://tinyurl.com/2j43rj

Radium

On Jun 30, 9:25 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Other thread delt with Mac address's.

Just tell my what this number is called!!!!!!!!!

> >What is this number called?

> There is another number that is in place and ready to go, not only
> will it identify you, it will be capable of blocking you from the
> internet.

WTF is this number called!!!!!!!!!

I am losing my patience!!!!

> It's name? I guess Trusted Computing

No it isn't. You're just being silly. Stop it!!

samuel

Radium <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com:

> On Jun 30, 9:25 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Other thread delt with Mac address's.

> Just tell my what this number is called!!!!!!!!!
>
>> >What is this number called?

>> There is another number that is in place and ready to go, not
>> only will it identify you, it will be capable of blocking you
>> from the internet.

> WTF is this number called!!!!!!!!!
>
> I am losing my patience!!!!

will there be a reward if found and returned

>> It's name? I guess Trusted Computing

> No it isn't. You're just being silly. Stop it!!

Evan Platt

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 20:20:40 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
<frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:

>You again? What are you quoting there, from where, and why? Out of context
>it is rather difficult to know what the answer to the question is.

Tell me again why I killfiled GG'ers..

Oh yeah. There's the evidence.

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
Radium <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
> >is identified by any network to which it tries to connect.

> Is this "number" the MAC address? Or the locally administered network
> address? Or something totally different?
>
> What is this number called?

Your laptop has a network processor, which has a MAC address (it
identifies the computer as hardware on the network, sort of).

Your laptop connected to a network has an IP number; the IP number
tells the things connected to it where data packets go (sort of).

Your CPU chip may have a unique ID number, which may be embedded into
files and/or may be used in some network operations.

Your operating system and applications may also store their IDs
(serials) in the files they create.

You need some focus on what it is you are trying to do before you can
know where to research next.
I suggest, because it seems to be what you were talking about in
another thread, that you read a few books on networking and the TCP/IP
stack.

Whiskers

On 2007-07-01, Mitch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> Radium <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[...]

> You need some focus on what it is you are trying to do before you can
> know where to research next.
> I suggest, because it seems to be what you were talking about in
> another thread, that you read a few books on networking and the TCP/IP
> stack.

I still think that the only way this person can achieve the internet
anonymity he seeks, is for him to stay off the internet. With any luck
he'll bollix his hardware in a way that achieves that end )

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

WhzzKdd

"Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2007-07-01, Mitch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
>> Radium <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]
>
>> You need some focus on what it is you are trying to do before you can
>> know where to research next.
>> I suggest, because it seems to be what you were talking about in
>> another thread, that you read a few books on networking and the TCP/IP
>> stack.

> I still think that the only way this person can achieve the internet
> anonymity he seeks, is for him to stay off the internet. With any luck
> he'll bollix his hardware in a way that achieves that end )

The boy looks like a troll. Smells like a troll. Thick-headed like a troll.
Just out to cause consternation with the regulars.

"Neville, is that *you* again?"