Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Is 800 x 600 old hat?

Is 800 x 600 old hat?

Infant Newbie

Do you still design to the 800 x 600 ""STANDARD"" ?

If not, what do you use?
Thanks in advance

Infant Newbie

David Dorward

http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Infant Newbie wrote:

> Do you still design to the 800 x 600 ""STANDARD"" ?

Old hat? Yes, since sometime in the middle of the last decade.

You have no idea what the current size of my browser window is (it may
be 600px wide by 900px tall at this moment), nor is my monitor's
resolution important.

> If not, what do you use?

Google for: CSS flexible design

This is one of the early links:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmat...lexdesign.html

--
-bts

cwdjrxyz

On Jun 30, 12:48 pm, "Infant Newbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Do you still design to the 800 x 600 ""STANDARD"" ?
>
> If not, what do you use?
> Thanks in advance
>
> Infant Newbie

There never has been a standard. Now 800 x 600 is somewhat in the
middle of the range. Many monitors for PCs now are set for well over
1000 px wide, and some even add a second monitor to extend the width
range. On the other extreme, some small devices such as cell phones
are set for much under 800 x 600. If you have an Opera browser, it can
be set to show how your page appears on very small screens. As others
have pointed out, you need to code your page so that at least text can
be easily read over a very wide range of settings. Exceptions might be
if you are writing pages for a network where everyone uses the same
hardware.

Dan

On Jun 30, 4:51 pm, cwdjrxyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> There never has been a standard. Now 800 x 600 is somewhat in the
> middle of the range. Many monitors for PCs now are set for well over
> 1000 px wide, and some even add a second monitor to extend the width
> range. On the other extreme, some small devices such as cell phones
> are set for much under 800 x 600.

Does anybody happen to know what pixel width the new iPhone uses to
lay out pages? I took a look at one at an Apple store today, and it
seems to use a layout with more "virtual pixels" than the display
actually has, then lets you zoom in and out as well as rotating the
device to switch between "portrait" and "landscape" modes.

--
Dan

Harlan Messinger

Infant Newbie wrote:
> Do you still design to the 800 x 600 ""STANDARD"" ?
>
> If not, what do you use?
> Thanks in advance

Well, my Treo is something like 240 x 240, while my monitor at home is
1280 x 800 and my monitor at work is 1280 x 1024. Screen aren't even the
same *proportions* any more, let alone any standard dimensions.

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
cwdjrxyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Many monitors for PCs now are set for well over
> 1000 px wide, and some even add a second monitor to extend the width
> range. On the other extreme,

What others have said. You have to be very careful not to assume
too much about what arrangements users will have. As cwdjrxyz
reminds here, some people can have very wide screens. On Macs for
quite some time, one can organise monitors as one big screen (by
not ticking the mirror option). One can have monitors on top of
each each other too (Try it in Mac preferences, you folk with
Macs and more than one monitor). My personal preference is the
second of the two screenshots at:

http://tinyurl.com/35z3kp

--
dorayme

Neredbojias

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 17:48:09 GMT Infant Newbie scribed:

> Do you still design to the 800 x 600 ""STANDARD"" ?

Sort of. Virtually all my site is thumbnail galleries so I use 800 x 600
as the minimum at which they will display esthetically as I wish. I pretty
much use 1280 x 1024 as the maximum for this. (I believe the overall
median is probably 1024 x 768.)

Note that a page must (and does) display correctly at all sizes sans
horizontal scrollbar within the limits of a single thumb. What is
sometimes overlooked are very large screens; I know some ppl. with 8092 x
???? screens, and a decent page should be rendered sensibly even in those.

--
Neredbojias

Once I had a little dog
Who wagged its tail spritely.
But it walked by the harvestor
And now is shorter slightly.

dorayme

In article
<Xns995FC53072A7Enanopandaneredbojias@198.186.190. 161>,
Neredbojias <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I know some ppl. with 8092 x
> ???? screens, and a decent page should be rendered sensibly even in those.

Yes, a "decent" page must. In respect to 8092px, is top left
decent or indecent, sensible or not sensible?

--
dorayme

Chaddy2222

Infant Newbie wrote:
> Do you still design to the 800 x 600 ""STANDARD"" ?
>
> If not, what do you use?
> Thanks in advance
>
> Infant Newbie

You should design your site so the main content is visible at 800x600
and lower as people useing mobile devices will have very small screens
and the adverage PC user will very in what screen size the use and
window size needs to come into the argument.
--
Regards Chad. http://freewebdesign.awardspace.biz