Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Router and Internet Video Camera

Router and Internet Video Camera

Macroman

Hoping someone can help with this.

I have set up my router so that I can access it outside of my network such
as when I am at work. When I am at work I type in my WAN IP address and I
can then see my Belkin Wireless Router setup utility page, the same page
which I can see when I type in the LAN IP when I am at home, so far so good.

Q: When I am on my computer at home and type in the WAN IP, Internet
Exlporer says page cannot be found, why is this?

I then purchased an Internet Wireless Video Camera (LinkSYS Model WVC54GC) ,
I set this up hard wired LAN and it installed correctly, I then removed the
LAN cable and checked it worked wirelessly it did, I even moved it around
the house all working fine. I can view the camera either using the LAN IP
address of the camera 192.168.2.115 (I made this static) and also using the
windows application.

Q: Now when I am at work and type in my WAN IP address, instead of seeing my
Router home page I see the LINKSYS camera configuration page where I can
view the camera, why is this?

I do of course wish to be able to see the camera video while at work but was
expecting to see Router page.

When I returned home I can access my Belkin Router home page using the LAN
IP address of 192.168.2.1.
I can also access the LINKSYS home page configuration using 192.168.2.115.
What puzzles me now is that when I type in my WAN IP on my home network , I
can now see the cameras LINKSYS configuration webpage, where as per first
question when I typed in my WAN IP I could not see the Belkin Router setup
page.

I know a little about networking but not enough about how to configure my
network so I can see both Router and Camera setup pages when I am at work.
Q: How can I achieve this so that when I am at work I can do one or the
other , view my router and view my camera with different IP's?

All I know about the camera during setup is that it is using PORT 80.
And as for my Belkin router on the System Settings then Remote Managment
Page the remote port says 80.

It is very frustrating for me knowing that I do not know 100% what I am
doing and difficult for me to mess about with settings , go to work , test
it , come home change it ,go to work try again.
Q: Can you imagine how long this would take me?

I would ideally like to configure at home and then test at home so that when
I goto work I know I can type in my WAN IP in the address bar and get my
router and/or type in the WAN IP ??? and then see the camera.

I cannot change the camera's port number because I do not know how, it wont
let me key anything in, so I think this is hard coded within the cameras
firmware.

O/S = Win Xp Media
Belkin Router = F5D7632-4
Camera = LinkSYS WVC54GC-UK

many thanks

Macroman

Wally Wombat jun.

As there hasn't been a reply in a day, I try to offer some of the answers:

> Q: When I am on my computer at home and type in the WAN IP, Internet
> Exlporer says page cannot be found, why is this?

Your router does not have loop-back capabilities. So you need to be outside
your LAN to be able to use your WAN IP.
Some modem/routers do have loop-back, others don't.

> Q: Now when I am at work and type in my WAN IP address, instead of
> seeing my Router home page I see the LINKSYS camera configuration
> page where I can view the camera, why is this?

Both are using port 80.
The linksys has an inbuilt web server, which very likely takes preference.
The port may even be forwarded to the camera already.

The way around this is to change your router's page to some other port, say
88.

Then you would choose to see your routers setup page from outside your LAN
(your browser address pointing to the new port) like this:
http://your.public.ip:88

It is likely, that your ports can be changed within the linksys setup as
well.