Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Failed Exam 070-297

Failed Exam 070-297

=?Utf-8?B?Y2xkcGVhaw==?=

The rant below can be skipped, the quick question is: Are there direct lab
guides that cover every topic in this exam?

The rant:
I've failed this stupid exam twice now shy of just 26 point each time. I
cannot seem to find a good guide on the material tested in this exam. I have
gone through the deployment guides, the training kit and the core training
kit. I have set up a lab at home and gone through creating a single forest
with child domains. In place upgrade or new forest. I've gotten the
practice test from exam-prep; All of which fails to prepare me for a passing
score.

My issue with this cert is that the industry does not view it with much
credibility, thanks to the paper MCSE NT 4.0s - I could probably become a
paper MCSE on 2003 as well if I could afford the boot camp or cheat test
(though they could be a waste of money for all I know as well). But now
we've got tougher MCSE exams for a cert that still has little respect in the
industry and is nothing more than an basic requirement HR looks for.

My suggestion to microsoft? Make a REAL prep. I don't need a prep guide
70-297 to waste chapters and time telling me what Active Directory is. If I
don't know that by then, it's my own sorry @ss fault. This guide should be
flat out LABS! and real ones that are complex. For example, the test has a
question where some of your branch offices are workgroups- do I restructure
them into new domains? I don't know- that wasn't in the deployment guide or
exam prep. What about DNS deployments across non-contigous DNS names for top
level trees in a forest? Don't, know wasn't in the prep
guide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or if we can't get that done- then be honest about this MCSE- don't bother
taking it until you have implemented a multi-forest, multi-domain, clients 98
- XP with Unix DNS servers which may or may not be on your peripheral network
in a very large organization.

anyway, now that I've whined - i feel better - know of any complex lab guides?

Wayne

Have you checked http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-297.asp and made
sure you've covered all the areas in the objectives? If an exam question is
outside of those listed objectives then you have a legitimate complaint, if
not, try reading them before you resit.

--

Wayne McGlinn
Brisbane, Oz

"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system
of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the
masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony"
- Dennis (sometime in the middle ages)

"cldpeak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The rant below can be skipped, the quick question is: Are there direct
> lab
> guides that cover every topic in this exam?
>
> The rant:
> I've failed this stupid exam twice now shy of just 26 point each time. I
> cannot seem to find a good guide on the material tested in this exam. I
> have
> gone through the deployment guides, the training kit and the core training
> kit. I have set up a lab at home and gone through creating a single
> forest
> with child domains. In place upgrade or new forest. I've gotten the
> practice test from exam-prep; All of which fails to prepare me for a
> passing
> score.
>
> My issue with this cert is that the industry does not view it with much
> credibility, thanks to the paper MCSE NT 4.0s - I could probably become a
> paper MCSE on 2003 as well if I could afford the boot camp or cheat test
> (though they could be a waste of money for all I know as well). But now
> we've got tougher MCSE exams for a cert that still has little respect in
> the
> industry and is nothing more than an basic requirement HR looks for.
>
> My suggestion to microsoft? Make a REAL prep. I don't need a prep guide
> 70-297 to waste chapters and time telling me what Active Directory is. If
> don't know that by then, it's my own sorry @ss fault. This guide should
> be
> flat out LABS! and real ones that are complex. For example, the test has
> question where some of your branch offices are workgroups- do I
> restructure
> them into new domains? I don't know- that wasn't in the deployment guide
> or
> exam prep. What about DNS deployments across non-contigous DNS names for
> top
> level trees in a forest? Don't, know wasn't in the prep
> guide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Or if we can't get that done- then be honest about this MCSE- don't bother
> taking it until you have implemented a multi-forest, multi-domain, clients
> 98
> - XP with Unix DNS servers which may or may not be on your peripheral
> network
> in a very large organization.
>
> anyway, now that I've whined - i feel better - know of any complex lab
> guides?

Chuck

Dude,

I hear you load and clear. I've never failed an exma yet, but I've come
close because I don't believe the MS Courseware comes close to exam
readiness, especially when some of the answers are product bugs, documented
in the KB.

My advice and I know some people will disagree is know your material and
train on the TestKing.com exams. They are the real thing, and if you get
stuff that was not in the test exam, the Testking will give you enough
information to pass through the answers.

At the end of the day, you need to decide what the MCSE means to you,
because there'll always be "paper" smart people out there. The only way to
distinguish yourself from them is through hard work and experience. That
sets the proffessional asside from the amateur.

Good luck.

PS: check out it could save you $$$
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/offers/2ndshot/

"cldpeak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The rant below can be skipped, the quick question is: Are there direct
> lab
> guides that cover every topic in this exam?
>
> The rant:
> I've failed this stupid exam twice now shy of just 26 point each time. I
> cannot seem to find a good guide on the material tested in this exam. I
> have
> gone through the deployment guides, the training kit and the core training
> kit. I have set up a lab at home and gone through creating a single
> forest
> with child domains. In place upgrade or new forest. I've gotten the
> practice test from exam-prep; All of which fails to prepare me for a
> passing
> score.
>
> My issue with this cert is that the industry does not view it with much
> credibility, thanks to the paper MCSE NT 4.0s - I could probably become a
> paper MCSE on 2003 as well if I could afford the boot camp or cheat test
> (though they could be a waste of money for all I know as well). But now
> we've got tougher MCSE exams for a cert that still has little respect in
> the
> industry and is nothing more than an basic requirement HR looks for.
>
> My suggestion to microsoft? Make a REAL prep. I don't need a prep guide
> 70-297 to waste chapters and time telling me what Active Directory is. If
> don't know that by then, it's my own sorry @ss fault. This guide should
> be
> flat out LABS! and real ones that are complex. For example, the test has
> question where some of your branch offices are workgroups- do I
> restructure
> them into new domains? I don't know- that wasn't in the deployment guide
> or
> exam prep. What about DNS deployments across non-contigous DNS names for
> top
> level trees in a forest? Don't, know wasn't in the prep
> guide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Or if we can't get that done- then be honest about this MCSE- don't bother
> taking it until you have implemented a multi-forest, multi-domain, clients
> 98
> - XP with Unix DNS servers which may or may not be on your peripheral
> network
> in a very large organization.
>
> anyway, now that I've whined - i feel better - know of any complex lab
> guides?

catwalker63

"Chuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> prattled ceaslessly in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> My advice and I know some people will disagree is know your material
> and train on the TestKing.com exams. They are the real thing, and if
> you get stuff that was not in the test exam, the Testking will give
> you enough information to pass through the answers.

This is an A.S.S.F.U.C.K.E.R!! TestKing is a braindump. Braindumps are
for cheaters! Cheaters are A.S.S.F.U.C.K.E.R.S!! Be a professional and
stay away from these!

--
Catwalker
aka Pu$$y Feet

"Incredible! One of the worst performances of my career and they never
doubted it for a second."

CBIC

> My advice and I know some people will disagree

In this NG? Really? I can't believe that!

> At the end of the day, you need to decide what the MCSE means to you,
> because there'll always be "paper" smart people out there. The only
> way to distinguish yourself from them is through hard work and
> experience. That sets the proffessional asside from the amateur.

You talk about hard work yet you use tk. You are a hypocrite and an
a$$fukcer. If you can't pass the exams without using dumps you don't deserve
to be certified. I wish you a long miserable life concluded by a long
painful death. I wish you the worst of luck because you ( and anyone else
using dumps) are the scum of the earth.
--
aka
Doom MCNGP #38

=?Utf-8?B?Y2xkcGVhaw==?=

Thanks Chuck-

I see the strong negative opinions of testking but I appreciate the link-
whether I use it or not depends on whether I pass this test after
re-simulating everything in the deployment kit. I did skip some things in it
because they did not apply to my organization. So if I do it all again and
still fail this test, then I'll have to think about some other avenue like
testking.

In my opinion a brain dump is no different than boot camp- where I know
people who had little or no experience in admin duties but went the to the
boot camp and got thier paper mcse. They did a lot of studying while there,
but that the exam questions were remarkably similar thier practice.
Microsoft seems to view a boot camp as okay- where to me it's a brain dump
that you just pay a lot more money for. How can you really only become a
MCSE after one week?

In looking for work, certification is one of the table legs that supports
your carreer. Education and experience are the other factors- but that cert
is what HR orgs scan for and reject resumes on, if it's not present,
regardless of it's value.

I think Microsoft needs to make a decision- do they want the MCSE to be of
same value like a Cisco CCIE? If so, then I'm all for making it even harder.
But then give me a exam preps that are thick - difficult and mostly complex
labs that might take me 6 months to complete - that's fine with me. With
virtual PC there's no reason not to able to simulate a complex environment.
I think Microsoft tries to walk a balance of making hard, but not too hard-
and has failed to make it vauled again among IT managers.

I just want a single source to go to, complete and that anything that is on
the exam will be covered. If I'm lazy, skipped a lab, or missed something and
not pass, I know that I can return to this source and do it again.

One last example, I even took the Microsoft Course for this exam. And it
just turned out to be an instructor following the book examples from the
microsoft developed course. Once again, the example labs were too simple and
did not cover many logical designs required by the exam.

"Chuck" wrote:

> [...]
> > question where some of your branch offices are workgroups- do I
> > restructure
> > them into new domains? I don't know- that wasn't in the deployment guide
> > or
> > exam prep. What about DNS deployments across non-contigous DNS names for
> > top
> > level trees in a forest? Don't, know wasn't in the prep
> > guide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> >
> > Or if we can't get that done- then be honest about this MCSE- don't bother
> > taking it until you have implemented a multi-forest, multi-domain, clients
> > 98
> > - XP with Unix DNS servers which may or may not be on your peripheral
> > network
> > in a very large organization.
> >
> > anyway, now that I've whined - i feel better - know of any complex lab

Neil

did you hear "=?Utf-8?B?Y2xkcGVhaw==?="
<(E-Mail Removed)> say in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> So if I do it all again and
> still fail this test, then I'll have to think about some other avenue
> like testking.

don't. no matter what cheating is not the answer to this. If you are
caught MS will take away your certs (if you have any) and will not allow
you to take another exam - ever. for life.

check these out for more info:
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...q/security.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...ram/piracy.asp
http://www.cybercrime.gov/keppelPlea.htm

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Briscobar

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
cldpeak <(E-Mail Removed)> rambled:

<snip>

To add to Neil's last post, those links are great resources, and if being
labeled a cheater or paper cert doesn't bother you, I hope that having your
certs taken away will. Not to say that I wish anything like that upon you,
I'm just hoping that you decide not to use TestKings or similar products.
They are not studying, they're memorizing.

You seem like a decent guy just struggling to get the certs. Keep at it, and
don't quit, but please don't dump. It cheats the rest of us out of our
hard-earned certifications. And, although I don't like to do it to anyone, I
can guarantee that if you *do* dump, and you brag about it here, you will be
reported to MS. They may or may not take appropriate action, but they'll at
least know about you. Whether it's me or someone else who reports it to
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), it'll get done, and the results can't be pretty. So
please dont' cheat - it's not learning, and it's not fair.

--

KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

Briscobar AT gmail DOT com

www.mcngp.com owes me 35 bucks.

=?Utf-8?Q?Frisbee=C2=AE?=

cldpeak wrote:

> So
> if I do it all again and still fail this test, then I'll have to
> think about some other avenue like testking.

Sigh...

Every once in a while, a seemingly literate, intelligent person posts
something like this. I'm used to seeing these kinds of posts from complete
idiots, but when someone who comes off as not completely clueless says it,
it seriously saddens me.

=?Utf-8?B?Y2xkcGVhaw==?=

heck folks don't worry about it- I distrusted the flames that the testking
post got, usually typing in cuss words lowers thier credibility to me.

Since then, I did a google search and found they did start out as a brain
dump. I never used a transcender to test to get my MCSE 4.0 and have always
stuck with Microsoft recomendations in preparation to stay on the safe side.

My issue, and bad mood, when I posted is that I think Microsoft's idea of
preparing for this exam lacks a valid avenue of certification for those of us
working full time and without the financial resources for boot camp (which in
my eyes I'm suspicious of as a form of cheating as well, just very expensive)

If Microsoft wants to make the MCSE 2003 a real certification, compared to
NT 4.0, then they need to step up to the plate and provide resources that
should and must take significant number of hours to complete.

There should be a basic series that introduces concepts for those new to it.

They already have a deployment kit that provides a broad education and solid
reference I can use a work as well.

But they still need and exam prep guide that is chocked full of labs; and
force learning concepts that will be covered on the exam.

Instead I have a supposed exam prep kit wasting my time reading about and
introduction to WINS, b-node and what NetBIOS is. By the time I hit the exam
prep guide- such basic knowledge should be assumed and not covered. When
I've got real work to get done, I don't want to waste time reading something
that is so basic it won't be asked on the test. But I can't skip reading it,
in case there's some important concept burried in the fluff.

Instead, lets have a lab that teaches what will be on the test, such
forwarding DNS requests to WINS, replication between WINS - and a flow chart
that provides the test's opinion of the "most" correct answer when chosing
WINS replication partners.

I would rather spend $125 on such an exam prep that was worth the money,
teaching the concepts by doing- then spend the same on failing the test.
Because were not just talking about me losing $125- but also the billable
hours I lose wasting time on test that I'm not prepared for.

Finally, and most important- I obviously don't understand some important
concepts, otherwise I would not continue to fail this exam. This affects the
quality of my work- which I'm more concerned about than the MCSE- and after
the test, there is no way to discover what it is I'm missing.

If preparing for these exams, the best bet is the deployment kit, the
Microsoft curriculum class it at training centers is a waste of money as well
as the the self paced training kit. Allthough the core training kit would
have been okay if I was starting out in IT for the first time. The Microsoft
sactioned "selftest" exam practice software was good, it got me thinking some
gotchas that might be found on the test.

Anyway, thanks for your input and the heads up on testking- But there is a
need to take another step here in the exam prep kits.