Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox Adobe Problem

Firefox Adobe Problem

Roland Deodorant

SteveG <_@_._> wrote in
news:aDehi.14177$(E-Mail Removed). uk:

>>> Whilst I agree with Miller that Foxit is better and faster than
>>> Acrobat Reader if you really want to persevere then go into Readers
>>> preferences and check the settings under the Internet tab.

>> I don't see in the Internet tap of Reader where I can make it work
>> with Firefox.

> Ok, Reader will use whichever application is set in Windows as your
> default for pdf files. This need to be set to Acrobat Reader. Then in
> Reader go to EDIT >> PREFERENCES >> INTERNET and set the way in which
> you want Reader to interact with your browser - you don't need to tell
> it which browser you're using.
>
> --

Ok, I have adobe reader 8 and under that internet tab it says this:

"Display PDF in browser" which is checked.
"Allow fast web view" which is checked.
"Allow speculative downloading in the background" which is checked.

It has an internet speed and then an "internet settings" button.

I am sorry, but I am new to this and I am not sure what to do.

Also, when I open up explorer 7, which is NOT my default browser, and
open a .PDF file it works. It just doesn't work in Firefox.

On Jun 29, 4:09 pm, Roland Deodorant <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> I don't see in the Internet tap of Reader where I can make it work
> >> with Firefox.

> > Ok, Reader will use whichever application is set in Windows as your
> > default for pdf files. This need to be set to Acrobat Reader. Then in
> > Reader go to EDIT >> PREFERENCES >> INTERNET and set the way in which
> > you want Reader to interact with your browser - you don't need to tell
> > it which browser you're using.

> > --

> Ok, I have adobe reader 8 and under that internet tab it says this:
>
> "Display PDF in browser" which is checked.
> "Allow fast web view" which is checked.
> "Allow speculative downloading in the background" which is checked.
>
> It has an internet speed and then an "internet settings" button.
>
> I am sorry, but I am new to this and I am not sure what to do.
>
> Also, when I open up explorer 7, which is NOT my default browser, and
> open a .PDF file it works. It just doesn't work in Firefox.

did you reinstall as I had suggested?

SteveG

Roland Deodorant wrote:
> SteveG <_@_._> wrote in
> news:aDehi.14177$(E-Mail Removed). uk:

>>> I don't see in the Internet tap of Reader where I can make it work
>>> with Firefox.

>> Ok, Reader will use whichever application is set in Windows as your
>> default for pdf files. This need to be set to Acrobat Reader. Then in
>> Reader go to EDIT >> PREFERENCES >> INTERNET and set the way in which
>> you want Reader to interact with your browser - you don't need to tell
>> it which browser you're using.
>>
>> --

> Ok, I have adobe reader 8 and under that internet tab it says this:
>
> "Display PDF in browser" which is checked.
> "Allow fast web view" which is checked.
> "Allow speculative downloading in the background" which is checked.
>
> It has an internet speed and then an "internet settings" button.
>
> I am sorry, but I am new to this and I am not sure what to do.
>
> Also, when I open up explorer 7, which is NOT my default browser, and
> open a .PDF file it works. It just doesn't work in Firefox.

Did you check in Windows to make Reader the default pdf application?

--
Regards

Steve G

Lou Briccant

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 18:15:51 -0500, Roland Deodorant <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Why won't Firefox open Adobe? When a .pdf filed tries to open it won't the
>file. Is there a fix?

Allows to choose if you want to view a PDF file inside the browser (as
PDF or HTML), if you want to view it outside Firefox with your default
or custom PDF reader, or if you want to download it!

PDF Download solves the problems everyone has about handling PDF files
with Firefox. This extension, every time you click on a link, checks if
the target is a pdf file and in this case let you choose what you want
to do (open pdf file inside or outside Firefox, download it to the
filesystem or view it as HTML).
PDF Download is not a PDF plugin: you still need to have installed the
Adobe or the FoxIt PDF plugin if you want to open a PDF inside Firefox.
Works with:

* Firefox Firefox: 1.5 2.0.0.*

Roland Deodorant

Lou Briccant <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:5engimF38qhqfU1
@mid.individual.net:

awesome. Thanks!!

Charani

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 18:15:51 -0500, Roland Deodorant wrote:

> Why won't Firefox open Adobe? When a .pdf filed tries to open it won't the
> file. Is there a fix?

I had the same problem with Mozilla about 2 years ago and solved it by
switching to FoxIt which is much faster to load. I haven't had any
problems since then. (No, I don't have anything to do with FoxIt other
than as a satisfied user.)

Ed Mullen

Charani wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 18:15:51 -0500, Roland Deodorant wrote:
>
>> Why won't Firefox open Adobe? When a .pdf filed tries to open it won't the
>> file. Is there a fix?

> I had the same problem with Mozilla about 2 years ago and solved it by
> switching to FoxIt which is much faster to load. I haven't had any
> problems since then. (No, I don't have anything to do with FoxIt other
> than as a satisfied user.)

In Firefox and SeaMonkey I have no trouble with .pdf files. Most of the
problems like these were with earlier versions of Adobe Reader. The
latest version (8.1) works fine. There is an option to "Open pdf files
in browser" which, if unchecked, opens Adobe separately and, if checked,
opens the document in the browser. In addition to feature enhancements
Adobe has also issued updates which make it desirable (if not important)
to upgrade to the latest version.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Roland Deodorant

Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>> Why won't Firefox open Adobe? When a .pdf filed tries to open it
>>> won't the file. Is there a fix?

>> I had the same problem with Mozilla about 2 years ago and solved it
>> by switching to FoxIt which is much faster to load. I haven't had
>> any problems since then. (No, I don't have anything to do with FoxIt
>> other than as a satisfied user.)

> In Firefox and SeaMonkey I have no trouble with .pdf files. Most of
> the problems like these were with earlier versions of Adobe Reader.
> The latest version (8.1) works fine. There is an option to "Open pdf
> files in browser" which, if unchecked, opens Adobe separately and, if
> checked, opens the document in the browser. In addition to feature
> enhancements Adobe has also issued updates which make it desirable (if
> not important) to upgrade to the latest version.

I just updated Adobe Reader to 8.1 and it is good. Thanks for all of your
help, but the add on to open Pdf's in the browser worked like a charm.

Excellet support you guys, I appreciate it.