Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Best DSLR for under $1000

Best DSLR for under $1000

brett

I've been going by the two top picks on this list:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4323-6530_7-...8.html?tag=txt. Can anyone
comment on what they believe to be the best sub $1000 DSLR camera and
why?

Somebody

"brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I've been going by the two top picks on this list:
> http://reviews.cnet.com/4323-6530_7-...8.html?tag=txt. Can anyone
> comment on what they believe to be the best sub $1000 DSLR camera and
> why?

Pentax K10D best bang for the buck!

Somebody!

ray

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 20:40:58 +0000, brett wrote:

> I've been going by the two top picks on this list:
> http://reviews.cnet.com/4323-6530_7-...8.html?tag=txt. Can anyone
> comment on what they believe to be the best sub $1000 DSLR camera and
> why?

'best' for what? If there were a 'best' one, why would the others still be
around? For comparison: what is the 'best' car under $20000?

ASAAR

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 20:40:58 -0000, brett wrote:

> I've been going by the two top picks on this list:
> http://reviews.cnet.com/4323-6530_7-...8.html?tag=txt. Can anyone
> comment on what they believe to be the best sub $1000 DSLR camera and
> why?

Since I assume that you mean both camera and lens for no more
than $1,000, probably the cheapest DSLR, whatever brand that happens
to be. If used (uh, "pre-owned", as they say) and cheaper, so much
the better. That'll allow the remainder of the $1,000 to be used
for a much better lens (or two) than the normal kit offerings. If
you plan on eventually spending more than $1,000 total, you might
get a better body with a lesser lens and delay your image
gratification by a couple of months or years.

It would be considerate, btw, to name the two cameras rather than
posting a URL. Some people (namely me!) have very slow internet
connections, and that page still hasn't loaded, although I can see
it limping along, slowly . . .

brett

I guess a camera to compare to is the

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT 8.0MP Digital SLR Camera Digital Rebel XT
18-55 Kit ($700 @ bestbuy.com)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099394810083

I don't know if 1/8000 shutter speed really matters over 1/4000. I
also want Vista compatibility, which this has. I believe the cameras
I posted in the OP are a little old.

I know the Canon D30 is over $1000 but what kind of comments can
people here give about it?

Thanks,
Brett

brett

Actually it looks like the Canon 20D is a much better deal than the
30D. Although not Vista compatible (I don't think), the CF readers
are.

banjo`s

"brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I've been going by the two top picks on this list:
> http://reviews.cnet.com/4323-6530_7-...8.html?tag=txt. Can anyone
> comment on what they believe to be the best sub $1000 DSLR camera and
> why?

why ?? because you caqnt beat quality

Nikon D80

8.0
Excellent
Review date:
08/31/2006
$875-$998

from 10 stores

Nikon scores big with the D80, its new 10-megapixel, sub-$1,000 dSLR.
Specs: Digital camera, 10.2 megapixels, LCD display - TFT active matrix -
2.5 in - Color

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT with 18mm-to-55mm lens (silver)

8.0
Excellent
Review date:
05/04/2005
$569-$700

from 13 stores

The Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT is an exceptionally small and lightweight
camera designed for amateur digital SLR photographers, but it delivers the
responsiveness and image quality you'd expect from a semipro model.
Specs: Digital camera, 8 megapixels, LCD display - TFT active matrix - 1.8
in - Color

ray

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 20:44:15 -0700, brett wrote:

> I guess a camera to compare to is the
>
> Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT 8.0MP Digital SLR Camera Digital Rebel XT
> 18-55 Kit ($700 @ bestbuy.com)
> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099394810083
>
> I don't know if 1/8000 shutter speed really matters over 1/4000. I
> also want Vista compatibility, which this has. I believe the cameras
> I posted in the OP are a little old.

Please explain what 'vista compatibility' means. You should be able to
plug any modern camera into any modern operating system and go.

> I know the Canon D30 is over $1000 but what kind of comments can
> people here give about it?
>
> Thanks,
> Brett

thepixelfreak

On 2007-06-28 20:44:15 -0700, brett <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> I guess a camera to compare to is the
>
> Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT 8.0MP Digital SLR Camera Digital Rebel XT
> 18-55 Kit ($700 @ bestbuy.com)
> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099394810083

> I don't know if 1/8000 shutter speed really matters over 1/4000. I
> also want Vista compatibility, which this has. I believe the cameras
> I posted in the OP are a little old.
>
> I know the Canon D30 is over $1000 but what kind of comments can
> people here give about it?
>
> Thanks,
> Brett

Search your local camera shops. I got my 30D body for $1100.00. Just
100 over your limit. No hassles with shoddy internet scams, no waiting
for ups.

--

thepixelfreak

brett

> Search your local camera shops. I got my 30D body for $1100.00. Just
> 100 over your limit. No hassles with shoddy internet scams, no waiting
> for ups.

You didn't get a lens though. Add at least another $300.