Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Greyscale or black and white

Greyscale or black and white

kayla

I have printed some photos in greyscale and they tend to be quite dul
and washed out. Before I try any more I thought I would ask here
first. I am using PSP 7 and I have a lot to learn. My camera is a
Canon Pro1.

Lori

ray

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 14:21:12 -0400, kayla wrote:

> I have printed some photos in greyscale and they tend to be quite dul
> and washed out. Before I try any more I thought I would ask here
> first. I am using PSP 7 and I have a lot to learn. My camera is a
> Canon Pro1.
>
> Lori

How did you create the greyscale? There are several ways that can be done.
AFAIK - if you do black and white - that is what you get. Black and white
- no shades of grey, just dithering to approximate it.

Frank

If I remember correctly, the secret is in the channels, but I can't remember
how.

"kayla" <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have printed some photos in greyscale and they tend to be quite dul
> and washed out. Before I try any more I thought I would ask here
> first. I am using PSP 7 and I have a lot to learn. My camera is a
> Canon Pro1.
>
> Lori

Chris Gilbert

kayla wrote

> I have printed some photos in greyscale and they tend to be quite dul
> and washed out. Before I try any more I thought I would ask here
> first. I am using PSP 7 and I have a lot to learn. My camera is a
> Canon Pro1.

A lot of printers manufacture 'grey' by mixing the colour palate.
Few print genuine B&W, which is why greyscale images often
look dreadful.

Chris

mcescher

On Jun 28, 1:21 pm, kayla <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote:
> I have printed some photos in greyscale and they tend to be quite dul
> and washed out. Before I try any more I thought I would ask here
> first. I am using PSP 7 and I have a lot to learn. My camera is a
> Canon Pro1.
>
> Lori

Hi Lori,
Are you shooting with the BW mode on the camera or are you converting
the color image to BW? Try both ways. Also, within PSP don't just
convert to a 256 color grey scale. This gives the worst results.

Changing the saturation to 0 will give pretty good results. Also look
into channels as was mentioned above.

Chris

Eatmorepies

"kayla" <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have printed some photos in greyscale and they tend to be quite dul
> and washed out. Before I try any more I thought I would ask here
> first. I am using PSP 7 and I have a lot to learn. My camera is a
> Canon Pro1.

Try here

http://www.journalofaphotographer.co..._and_white.php

The channels method is also good - tutorial available on the Adobe website
but once you go to image/adjustments/channel mixer/monchome it becomes
fairly obvious.

Regards

John

Bill

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 14:21:12 -0400, kayla <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote:

>I have printed some photos in greyscale and they tend to be quite dul
>and washed out. Before I try any more I thought I would ask here
>first. I am using PSP 7 and I have a lot to learn. My camera is a
>Canon Pro1.
>
>Lori

As mentioned above, play with channels, you will get very different
results from a strong red channel than the green channel, etc. Also,
play around with the brightness and contrast to make the greyscale
photos stand out more.

Bill

kayla

to create the greyscale I used Firehand Ember and clicked on the
option "grayscale". It looked okay on the monitor but when i printed
the photo it was not what i saw on the screen.

>How did you create the greyscale? There are several ways that can be done.
>AFAIK - if you do black and white - that is what you get. Black and white
>- no shades of grey, just dithering to approximate it.

kayla

I tried BW once but grey scale looked better but not printed.
Channels is new to me so I will get studying that.

>Hi Lori,
>Are you shooting with the BW mode on the camera or are you converting
>the color image to BW? Try both ways. Also, within PSP don't just
>convert to a 256 color grey scale. This gives the worst results.
>
>Changing the saturation to 0 will give pretty good results. Also look
>into channels as was mentioned above.
>
>Chris

kayla

I checked the website out and I must go through it. Looks like I
could learn a lot. Thanks everybody. I got some great advice.

Lori