Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > The Tennis

Reply
Thread Tools

The Tennis

 
 
rf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2007
Wimbledon is on, as I'm sure those of you in the Mother Country know.

<rant>

We Need to know when our local .au hero Hewitt is going to play. Checks the
official web site and notice that he is on after Ms Williams has devoured
her latest opponent. Click on the Williams vs whoever match. Notice a "WATCH
MATCH LIVE" (their shouting) link. Clickety click.

They want me to provide them with my email address and all sorts of things
like my *name* and they want me to actually *pay* to look at their video
feed. It's nice that they don't allow sponsorship advertising of any kind
cluttering up their pretty green venu but bloody hell, they are pushing the
almighty $ envelope here. Obviously drezigned by those idiots over in
marketing.

Bah humbug. I'll go back to my TV. Why should I pay to watch some little
bloody tiny mpeg on my computer when I can watch my TV projecting a 10 foot
wide image onto my lounge room wall?

I wonder what they were thinking about when they did this and I wonder how
many suckers they actually caught? Good way to **** off users of their web
site IMHO.

</rant>

Addendum: My tennis partner has just informed me she simply cannot get this
to even work on a MAC

--
Richard.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Toby A Inkster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2007
rf wrote:

> Bah humbug. I'll go back to my TV. Why should I pay to watch some little
> bloody tiny mpeg on my computer when I can watch my TV projecting a 10 foot
> wide image onto my lounge room wall?


IP Geolocating: The BBC have superb data on which IP addresses are UK
based and which are not -- British ISPs are only too eager to let the
Beeb know their IP address ranges, because otherwise their customers
lose out and the ISP loses customers.

They use geolocating to supply this stuff free to the UK, and sometimes
charge for it elsewhere. This is because the whole shebang is funded by
the British licence-payer. (Yes, I know you have the ABC, but the BBC
licence fee is an order of magnitude more.)

> Addendum: My tennis partner has just informed me she simply cannot
> get this to even work on a MAC


Yes, the BBC has been hauled in front of the Office of Communications
(government regulation body) about this matter. They are apparently
working on it.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[Geek of HTML/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python/Apache/Linux]
[OS: Linux 2.6.12-12mdksmp, up 7 days, 18:11.]

Long-Awaited Zeldman Article
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/0...ldman-in-time/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Neredbojias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2007
On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:27:30 GMT rf scribed:

> Bah humbug. I'll go back to my TV. Why should I pay to watch some
> little bloody tiny mpeg on my computer when I can watch my TV
> projecting a 10 foot wide image onto my lounge room wall?
>
> I wonder what they were thinking about when they did this and I wonder
> how many suckers they actually caught? Good way to **** off users of
> their web site IMHO.
>
> </rant>
>
> Addendum: My tennis partner has just informed me she simply cannot get
> this to even work on a MAC


The good part being tennis is so boring, anyhow, that half the people
wouldn't care if it works or not.

--
Neredbojias

Once I had a little dog
Who wagged its tail spritely.
But it walked by the harvestor
And now is shorter slightly.
 
Reply With Quote
 
rf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2007
"Toby A Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)5n.co.uk...

[Wimbledon]

> They use geolocating to supply this stuff free to the UK, and sometimes
> charge for it elsewhere. This is because the whole shebang is funded by
> the British licence-payer.


Oh. I see. A government web site?

> (Yes, I know you have the ABC, but the BBC
> licence fee is an order of magnitude more.)


You pay a licence fee to watch free to air TV? Bloody hell. At least they
hide the cost of our ABC in taxes

>> Addendum: My tennis partner has just informed me she simply cannot
>> get this to even work on a MAC

>
> Yes, the BBC has been hauled in front of the Office of Communications
> (government regulation body) about this matter. They are apparently
> working on it.


Yeah, right Just like bigpond is working on their news servers?

--
Richard.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Chaddy2222
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2007
On Jun 28, 11:27 pm, "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Wimbledon is on, as I'm sure those of you in the Mother Country know.
>
> <rant>
>
> We Need to know when our local .au hero Hewitt is going to play. Checks the
> official web site and notice that he is on after Ms Williams has devoured
> her latest opponent. Click on the Williams vs whoever match. Notice a "WATCH
> MATCH LIVE" (their shouting) link. Clickety click.
>
> They want me to provide them with my email address and all sorts of things
> like my *name* and they want me to actually *pay* to look at their video
> feed. It's nice that they don't allow sponsorship advertising of any kind
> cluttering up their pretty green venu but bloody hell, they are pushing the
> almighty $ envelope here. Obviously drezigned by those idiots over in
> marketing.
>
> Bah humbug. I'll go back to my TV. Why should I pay to watch some little
> bloody tiny mpeg on my computer when I can watch my TV projecting a 10 foot
> wide image onto my lounge room wall?
>
> I wonder what they were thinking about when they did this and I wonder how
> many suckers they actually caught? Good way to **** off users of their web
> site IMHO.
>
> </rant>
>
> Addendum: My tennis partner has just informed me she simply cannot get this
> to even work on a MAC

All I can say on that site is, if is the type of crap that will be
forced on the web with WCAG 2.0 then I reckon i'll need too right my
own guidelines. Actually on that subject a lot of groups have. Based
on the WCAG 1.0 but still, better then the shite that 2.0 will be.
--
Regards Chad. http://freewebdesign.awardspace.biz



 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2007
In article <4683d498$0$40368$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You pay a licence fee to watch free to air TV?


It is el cheapo Pay TV. There is a new book, quite interesting
argument in it, called "Scrap the BBC" where... well, you can
read about it or better, hear the author being interviewed:

<http://abc.net.au/rn/counterpoint/st...031.htm#transc
ript>

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
patrick j
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-04-2007
On Jun 28, 2007 rf wrote:

> You pay a licence fee to watch free to air TV? Bloody hell. At least they
> hide the cost of our ABC in taxes


At least it means that if you don't have a TV you don't have to pay for it


--
Patrick - Brighton, UK
If you wish email me from my web-site: <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>
Inventory service in Sussex: <http://www.inventoryworks.co.uk>

 
Reply With Quote
 
patrick j
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-04-2007
On Jun 28, 2007 Neredbojias wrote:

> The good part being tennis is so boring, anyhow, that half the people
> wouldn't care if it works or not.


It's not a boring as cricket. There is nothing as boring as cricket. I live
very close to a very big and famous cricket ground but I never ever go
there.

--
Patrick - Brighton, UK
If you wish email me from my web-site: <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>
Inventory service in Sussex: <http://www.inventoryworks.co.uk>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Neredbojias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-04-2007
On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 01:37:14 GMT patrick j scribed:

> On Jun 28, 2007 Neredbojias wrote:
>
>> The good part being tennis is so boring, anyhow, that half the people
>> wouldn't care if it works or not.

>
> It's not a boring as cricket. There is nothing as boring as cricket.


So I would surmise from a game composed of or emulating little insects that
go "Click, click." However, tennis is not only boring, it's dangerous. It
can give you Ying-Yang Eye, a condition where you may, for instance, be
walking straight ahead down the sidewalk but your eyeballs are constantly
pivoting to the left and right in an involuntary and pathological fashion.
Ying-Yang Eye can also embarrass the older gentleman who finds himself in
an area populated by much younger women.

> I
> live very close to a very big and famous cricket ground but I never
> ever go there.


Well, perhaps the stadia are good places to "rub a leg"...

--
Neredbojias

Never doubt
The path you've chosen.
If others mock,
Just thumb your nos'n.
- Burma Shave
 
Reply With Quote
 
patrick j
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-04-2007
On Jul 4, 2007 Neredbojias wrote:

> Well, perhaps the stadia are good places to "rub a leg"...


You're beginning to make cricket sound a bit more interesting.

--
Patrick - Brighton, UK
If you wish email me from my web-site: <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>
Inventory service in Sussex: <http://www.inventoryworks.co.uk>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tennis VS Raquetball VS Badminton Willian Penn Digital Photography 21 03-28-2011 10:47 PM
Re: Favorite tennis players of all time ? ? Nozza Digital Photography 2 02-04-2005 10:40 PM
tennis tornament Paul - xxx Computer Support 8 11-02-2003 10:48 AM
super tennis pictures online Seat Open meggyp Digital Photography 1 10-25-2003 04:41 PM
Every played tennis? Nevs Computer Support 3 09-12-2003 09:13 PM



Advertisments