Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > RE: Evolution of a pythonistas!

RE: Evolution of a pythonistas!

Sells, Fred

concur 100%. You can breeze through the fist half of the online tutorial in
a about 2 cups of coffee but you don't know what you don't know until you
try to do something real.

Even with 20 years of working with Python, I find goodies in the cookbook
for each new project.

Get a python aware editor. I use Eclipse+PyDev for big jobs, but still use
Emacs with python-mode for quickies. Although I would never recommend Emacs
to someone who does not already know how to use it. IDLE is ok, for
beginning but I find it distracting. Eclipse can be intimidating at first,
but if you go through the PyDev howto's, You'll learn all you need.

Forget about typing stuff interactively, It is better to work in a file so
you can see your work evolve.

Finally, I have never had a project in the last 5 years that someone hasn't
already done. Google is your friend. Many of the hits are misleading or
too much code to fit what I need, but I often find a snippet that I can use.

kyosohma@gmail.com

On Jun 28, 8:02 am, "Sells, Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> concur 100%. You can breeze through the fist half of the online tutorial in
> a about 2 cups of coffee but you don't know what you don't know until you
> try to do something real.
>
> Even with 20 years of working with Python, I find goodies in the cookbook
> for each new project.
>
> Get a python aware editor. I use Eclipse+PyDev for big jobs, but still use
> Emacs with python-mode for quickies. Although I would never recommend Emacs
> to someone who does not already know how to use it. IDLE is ok, for
> beginning but I find it distracting. Eclipse can be intimidating at first,
> but if you go through the PyDev howto's, You'll learn all you need.
>
> Forget about typing stuff interactively, It is better to work in a file so
> you can see your work evolve.
>
> Finally, I have never had a project in the last 5 years that someone hasn't
> already done. Google is your friend. Many of the hits are misleading or
> too much code to fit what I need, but I often find a snippet that I can use.

Wow Fred! You're awesome! How did you get 20 years in of Python when
it was created in 1991? Still, I think you're right. Most of the time,
I can find what I need because it's already done. I've only been
programming for just over a year and I learn something new almost
every day. And yes, the best way to learn is by "just coding".

Mike

BartlebyScrivener

On Jun 28, 8:02 am, "Sells, Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> concur 100%.

<snip>
> Get a python aware editor. I use Eclipse+PyDev for big jobs, but still use
> Emacs with python-mode for quickies.

Just when I was thinking we agreed!

Get Vim!

http://www.vim.org