Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP.NET 2.0 deployment

ASP.NET 2.0 deployment

Venton

I am currently using VS 2003 ASP.NET 1.1
I like the way that deployment of a new assembly is so simple, I just
FTP the dll of the entire project across and that's it, none of the
web users are any the wiser. No source code on the server either.

I am thinking of upgrading to VS2005 / asp.net 2.0 but having a quick
and easy way of deploying changes is essential.

My app is a web shop, and there could be several users in the middle
of buying stuff.
If I have a change to make, I want to roll out the changes
instantaniously (eg just replace a dll).

Is this possible with VS 2005 / ASP.NET 2.0 or is it more complicated?

I don't want to knock people off the web sites or give them errors by
doing.

Any help from people with real world experience in this area much
appreciated.

Mark Rae

"Venton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> Any help from people with real world experience in this area much
> appreciated.

Just make sure you install SP1 for VS.NET 2005 and use the web application
model - keep well away from the web site model...

--
http://www.markrae.net

bruce barker

asp.net 2.0 has several deployment options. if you use web site mode,
and precompiled mode you can deploy page single page change (fixed
names) or just all dlls.

unlike asp 1.1, the page dll can be precompiled in 2.0. in web site mode
this will include the codebehind. if you use web application projects
there will be an additional dll for the codebehind dll along with all
the page dll's.

just like 1.1, deploying new dlls may cause a recycle (losing inprcc
sessions) if the memory limit, or recompile limit is hit.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Venton wrote:
> I am currently using VS 2003 ASP.NET 1.1
> I like the way that deployment of a new assembly is so simple, I just
> FTP the dll of the entire project across and that's it, none of the
> web users are any the wiser. No source code on the server either.
>
> I am thinking of upgrading to VS2005 / asp.net 2.0 but having a quick
> and easy way of deploying changes is essential.
>
> My app is a web shop, and there could be several users in the middle
> of buying stuff.
> If I have a change to make, I want to roll out the changes
> instantaniously (eg just replace a dll).
>
> Is this possible with VS 2005 / ASP.NET 2.0 or is it more complicated?
>
> I don't want to knock people off the web sites or give them errors by
> doing.
>
> Any help from people with real world experience in this area much
> appreciated.

Venton

Thanks people.
Using SP1 with web application model gave me the dll's like I wanted -
just like 1.1

Enterprise Library deployment problem. Why needs to InstallUtil DLLs to the deployment server? If not, Registry Error whould shown. Benny Ng ASP .Net 0 10-03-2005 05:40 AM
Scripting wireless setup for automated deployment paulwilkinson@gmail.com Wireless Networking 0 09-29-2005 02:17 PM
no touch deployment Mark ASP .Net 5 08-27-2003 03:38 PM
Deployment Question Brad Markisohn ASP .Net 1 08-07-2003 02:01 AM
Deployment Issues .. Runtime Error Sean ASP .Net 2 07-26-2003 04:37 PM

Advertisments