Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Question for all Canon 5D owners...

Question for all Canon 5D owners...

Floyd L. Davidson

nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <fMpJqXC8$(E-Mail Removed)>, Kennedy McEwen
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Any number of folks might well be willing to dump the EXIF data, but
>> that won't help him determine the shutter count.
>>
>> Canon have not released the details of the shutter count tag in the EXIF
>> data for the 5D or even confirmed that it is encoded in the EXIF data.
>>
>> Neither Exiftool nor Exifread will divulge that information from any
>> Canon 5D image, only the image number which, as others have noted, can
>> easily be reset.

>exiftool shows a shutter count tag for a few random 5d images i have.
>are you saying they are incorrect?

Do they look reasonable????

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Floyd L. Davidson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >exiftool shows a shutter count tag for a few random 5d images i have.
> >are you saying they are incorrect?

> Do they look reasonable????

further delving suggests they may not be all that reasonable after all.

the two images i have came from a thread on dpreview where the poster
was comparing it with another camera. the shutter count field shows 7
& 14, and although that seems low, it is possible that he just bought
the camera and immediately tested it against another.

i finally remembered the website that collects numerous raw files,

<http://www.rawsamples.ch/index_en.php>

and the 5d file there shows a count of 9, which also may be possible,
but i'm beginning to wonder why both cameras show such low numbers.

i have a 1ds mk ii raw file and its shutter count is 175 with a file
name of 0172.cr2, which sounds very reasonable. the .crw files don't
have a shutter count tag at all.

i need more sample images to get a better assesment of this.

Kennedy McEwen

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Floyd L. Davidson
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Kennedy McEwen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Floyd
>>L. Davidson <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>>
>>>You might try /exiftools/, which is based on perl, as a
>>>way to examine all available EXIF data.
>>>
>>>If that isn't possible/easy, can you put one RAW file
>>>from the camera online where it can be downloaded? Any
>>>number of folks would certainly be willing to dump the
>>>EXIF data for you.
>>>

>>Any number of folks might well be willing to dump the
>>EXIF data, but that won't help him determine the shutter
>>count.
>>
>>Canon have not released the details of the shutter count
>>tag in the EXIF data for the 5D or even confirmed that
>>it is encoded in the EXIF data.

>That is exactly why I said "You might try...". The
>point was to dump it an look and see if it is or is not
>listed.
>
>I have no idea if it is actually there or not. The one
>and only example CRW file I've found (supplied with the
>exiftool package) has 0.

Maybe you should be looking for CR2 files, which is how Canon 5D raw
files are named.
--
Kennedy

Kennedy McEwen

In article <280620071349553843%(E-Mail Removed)>, nospam
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>In article <fMpJqXC8$(E-Mail Removed)>, Kennedy McEwen
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Any number of folks might well be willing to dump the EXIF data, but
>> that won't help him determine the shutter count.
>>
>> Canon have not released the details of the shutter count tag in the EXIF
>> data for the 5D or even confirmed that it is encoded in the EXIF data.
>>
>> Neither Exiftool nor Exifread will divulge that information from any
>> Canon 5D image, only the image number which, as others have noted, can
>> easily be reset.

>exiftool shows a shutter count tag for a few random 5d images i have.
>are you saying they are incorrect?

Yes, exiftools shows the FILE number, not shutter actuations. The file
number can be reset easily and, in any case, only counts to 9999.
--
Kennedy

Kennedy McEwen

In article <280620071434213771%(E-Mail Removed)>, nospam
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Floyd L. Davidson
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> >exiftool shows a shutter count tag for a few random 5d images i have.
>> >are you saying they are incorrect?

>> Do they look reasonable????

>further delving suggests they may not be all that reasonable after all.
>
>the two images i have came from a thread on dpreview where the poster
>was comparing it with another camera. the shutter count field shows 7
>& 14, and although that seems low, it is possible that he just bought
>the camera and immediately tested it against another.
>
>i finally remembered the website that collects numerous raw files,
>
><http://www.rawsamples.ch/index_en.php>
>
>and the 5d file there shows a count of 9, which also may be possible,
>but i'm beginning to wonder why both cameras show such low numbers.
>
>i have a 1ds mk ii raw file and its shutter count is 175 with a file
>name of 0172.cr2, which sounds very reasonable. the .crw files don't
>have a shutter count tag at all.
>
>i need more sample images to get a better assesment of this.

1D and 1Ds camera shutter actuation Exif tag code has been published, so
tools like exifread and exiftool can extract the shutter actuation count
from images by those cameras. The 5D exif tag code for shutter count
has not been published and so cannot be extracted.

This subject comes up regularly on Canon forums - nobody seems to know
the Canon reasoning for not making this data available for the 5D, but
they haven't. It is quite possible that it isn't even encoded in the
EXIF data at all, since the only known method of obtaining that info is
to return the actual body to Canon.
--
Kennedy

Robert Coe

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:24:09 +0900, "David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
:
: "Robert Coe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: > :
: > : (Actually, what I'd do if I didn't have a 5D right now is buy a 400D and
: > : FF glass and wait for the next version of the 5D.)
: >
: > I second David's opinion. My impression is that at this point in time the
: > 5D is nothing more than a superior implementation of yesterday's technology.
: > The 6D (or whatever it will be called) will be at least 12 MP and better in
: > other respects as well.
:
: Huh? The 5D is currently 12.7MP.

<ulp!> My error! I thought it was 8 MP.

Floyd L. Davidson

Kennedy McEwen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>I have no idea if it is actually there or not. The one
>>and only example CRW file I've found (supplied with the
>>exiftool package) has 0.
>>

>Maybe you should be looking for CR2 files, which is how
>Canon 5D raw files are named.

They are CRW format.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) (E-Mail Removed)

John McWilliams

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
> Kennedy McEwen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I have no idea if it is actually there or not. The one
>>> and only example CRW file I've found (supplied with the
>>> exiftool package) has 0.
>>>

>> Maybe you should be looking for CR2 files, which is how
>> Canon 5D raw files are named.

> They are CRW format.

The format is RAW, the extension is .CR2

--
john mcwilliams

Floyd L. Davidson

John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
>>>>
>>> Maybe you should be looking for CR2 files, which is how
>>> Canon 5D raw files are named.

>> They are CRW format.
>>

>The format is RAW, the extension is .CR2

There is no such thing as a format called "RAW". Though
technically the actual name of the format is Canon Image
File Format, or CIFF, it is commonly referred to as CRW.

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
> John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

>>> They are CRW format.
>>>

>> The format is RAW, the extension is .CR2

> There is no such thing as a format called "RAW". Though
> technically the actual name of the format is Canon Image
> File Format, or CIFF, it is commonly referred to as CRW.

Of course, you won't concede you had the wrong extension you little pedant.

--
lsmft