Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Setting up 2003 Server

Setting up 2003 Server

=?Utf-8?B?VmluY2U=?=

I want to set up Windows server 2003 on my computer that I am running XP Pro
on one Hard Drive. I have an extra 200 gb Hard drive that is just sitting
there. Can I install Server 2003 on that extra Hard Drive and if so, How
would I configure the PC to boot to either XP Pro or Server 2003?Will it auto
read and give me the Choice, or do I have to go into the Bios and set up
differant bootup procedures? I do have Virtual PC . I have not used it yet
but is that a option that would be a better install for 2003 server?

The Rev \(MCT\)

When you install Server 2003 (Select New Install or CLEAN) and you choose
the other drive Windows Server will modify the NTLDR and the Boot.ini for
you. When you boot your system you'll be given a choice of which OS to boot
into.

--
"The Rev" MCT/MCNGP #44

justafreak.com
..
"Vince" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I want to set up Windows server 2003 on my computer that I am running XP

Pro
> on one Hard Drive. I have an extra 200 gb Hard drive that is just sitting
> there. Can I install Server 2003 on that extra Hard Drive and if so, How
> would I configure the PC to boot to either XP Pro or Server 2003?Will it

auto
> read and give me the Choice, or do I have to go into the Bios and set up
> differant bootup procedures? I do have Virtual PC . I have not used it

yet
> but is that a option that would be a better install for 2003 server?

Mark

Virtual PC 2004 is a good option, and it may be good for a
busy person that needs to work in XP and be able
to "switch" back and forth.

Unique Glover

I concur with Mark. It just may be more economically feasible to just
install Virtual PC or VMware to meet your objectives. Both products gives
you the administrative flexibility to monitor system performance and utilize
your testing OS at your leisure.

"Vince" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I want to set up Windows server 2003 on my computer that I am running XP

Pro
> on one Hard Drive. I have an extra 200 gb Hard drive that is just sitting
> there. Can I install Server 2003 on that extra Hard Drive and if so, How
> would I configure the PC to boot to either XP Pro or Server 2003?Will it

auto
> read and give me the Choice, or do I have to go into the Bios and set up
> differant bootup procedures? I do have Virtual PC . I have not used it

yet
> but is that a option that would be a better install for 2003 server?

Neil

did you hear "=?Utf-8?B?VmluY2U=?=" <(E-Mail Removed)>
say in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I want to set up Windows server 2003 on my computer that I am running
> XP Pro on one Hard Drive. I have an extra 200 gb Hard drive that is
> just sitting there. Can I install Server 2003 on that extra Hard Drive
> and if so, How would I configure the PC to boot to either XP Pro or
> Server 2003?Will it auto read and give me the Choice, or do I have to
> go into the Bios and set up differant bootup procedures? I do have
> Virtual PC . I have not used it yet but is that a option that would be
> a better install for 2003 server?

2 words...Virtual Machines. Look into MS's VPC or VMware

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.

Neil

did you hear Neil <guess!!!@gmail.com> say in
news:Xns9611D8AD567ABneilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.1 6:

> 2 words...Virtual Machines. Look into MS's VPC or VMware

looks like I'm the 3rd to recommend this. So it must be a good idea.

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- Shopping tip: Shoes are $2 at bowling alleys.

JaR

> Neil MCNGP#30
>
> - Shopping tip: Shoes are $2 at bowling alleys.

You can buy a whole bucket of golf balls at the driving range for $5!

--
JaR
Thug 10110

RESPONSE FROM SHAFIY2K:
Hi

Normally Windows server 2003 does not supports
upgradation from Windows XP. You have to clean install
it to make Dual booting of these two Operating systems -
WinXP & Win2003 server. You had mentioned that you are
having additional hard disk 200 GB (actually 200 GB or 20
GB kindly verify it) then make the two harddriives as IDE
Master and slave, Verify jumper settings on your
harddisks please... Then your WindowsXp harddisk must be
as IDE master.

Insert Windows 2003 server cd on to the cdrom then it
will asks to clean install accept that and give the path
so that the new Windows server 2003 will be installed.
Format it using NTFS or in FAT32 partition, note that
after you had formatted that frive asd NTFS you cannot
able to see that NTFS drive from your exixting FAT32
filesystem running previously, so make it sure about it,
then format it.

If any queries means post to me...

With regards
Shafi.H