Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Site to Site VPN Problem

Site to Site VPN Problem

Peter Simons

Hi

Have a site to site VPN problem
The network servers are Microsoft windows server both 2000 and 2003.

At the remote site using an ASA to ASA VPN clients could pick up email
from an exchange server buy not send email.

The site with the exchange server could VNC to the machine that could
not send email

When one browsed the network one could see only local machines. The
domain controller at the remote site had lots of id event 1311 in the
directory log.

Machines could not connect to an SQL server using active directory
credentials but could get to a web site on the same machine.

Change the remote site to A PIX 501 solved the problem

Mugged config of remote site

Thanks in advance for any help

: Saved
:
ASA Version 7.2(2)
!
hostname
domain-name l
enable password
no names
name 10.0.20.0 mainsite
name 10.0.50.0 site a
name 10.0.50.2 caffreys
!
interface Vlan1
nameif inside
security-level 100
ip address 10.0.50.1 255.255.255.0
!
interface Vlan2
nameif outside
security-level 0
ip address aa.bb.nn.mm 255.255.255.248
!
interface Ethernet0/0
switchport access vlan 2
!
interface Ethernet0/1
!
interface Ethernet0/2
!
interface Ethernet0/3
!
interface Ethernet0/4
!
interface Ethernet0/5
!
interface Ethernet0/6
!
interface Ethernet0/7
!
passwd
ftp mode passive
dns server-group DefaultDNS
domain-name
object-group service std tcp
port-object eq domain
port-object eq ftp
port-object eq ftp-data
port-object eq www
port-object eq https
object-group service Domain tcp-udp
port-object eq domain
access-list inside_access_in extended permit tcp any any object-group std
access-list inside_access_in extended permit udp host 10.0.50.2 any eq
domain
access-list inside_access_in extended permit tcp host 10.0.50.2 any eq
domain
access-list inside_access_in extended permit ip 10.0.50.0 255.255.255.0
10.0.20.0 255.255.255.0
access-list outside_20_cryptomap extended permit ip 10.0.50.0
255.255.255.0 10.0.20.0 255.255.255.0
access-list inside_nat0_outbound extended permit ip 10.0.50.0
255.255.255.0 10.0.20.0 255.255.255.0
access-list outside_access_in extended permit ip 10.0.20.0 255.255.255.0
10.0.50.0 255.255.255.0
access-list outside_20_cryptomap_1 extended permit ip 10.0.50.0
255.255.255.0 10.0.20.0 255.255.255.0
pager lines 24
logging enable
logging asdm informational
mtu inside 1500
mtu outside 1500
icmp unreachable rate-limit 1 burst-size 1
asdm image disk0:/asdm-522.bin
no asdm history enable
arp timeout 14400
global (outside) 1 interface
nat (inside) 0 access-list inside_nat0_outbound
nat (inside) 1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
access-group inside_access_in in interface inside
access-group outside_access_in in interface outside
route inside 10.0.20.0 255.255.255.0 10.0.50.33 1
route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 aa.bb.nn.pp 1
timeout xlate 3:00:00
timeout conn 1:00:00 half-closed 0:10:00 udp 0:02:00 icmp 0:00:02
timeout sunrpc 0:10:00 h323 0:05:00 h225 1:00:00 mgcp 0:05:00 mgcp-pat
0:05:00
timeout sip 0:30:00 sip_media 0:02:00 sip-invite 0:03:00 sip-disconnect
0:02:00
timeout uauth 0:05:00 absolute
group-policy DfltGrpPolicy attributes
banner none
wins-server none
dns-server none
dhcp-network-scope none
vpn-access-hours none
vpn-simultaneous-logins 3
vpn-idle-timeout 30
vpn-session-timeout none
vpn-filter none
vpn-tunnel-protocol IPSec
password-storage disable
ip-comp disable
re-xauth disable
group-lock none
pfs disable
ipsec-udp disable
ipsec-udp-port 10000
split-tunnel-policy tunnelall
split-tunnel-network-list none
default-domain none
split-dns none
intercept-dhcp 255.255.255.255 disable
secure-unit-authentication disable
user-authentication disable
user-authentication-idle-timeout 30
ip-phone-bypass disable
leap-bypass disable
nem disable
backup-servers keep-client-config
msie-proxy server none
msie-proxy method no-modify
msie-proxy except-list none
msie-proxy local-bypass disable
nac disable
nac-sq-period 300
nac-reval-period 36000
nac-default-acl none
address-pools none
client-firewall none
client-access-rule none
webvpn
functions url-entry
html-content-filter none
homepage none
keep-alive-ignore 4
http-comp gzip
filter none
url-list none
customization value DfltCustomization
port-forward none
port-forward-name value Application Access
sso-server none
deny-message value Login was successful, but because certain criteria
have not been met or due to some specific group policy, you do not have
permission to use any of the VPN features. Contact your IT administrator
for more information
svc none
svc keep-installer installed
svc keepalive none
svc rekey time none
svc rekey method none
svc dpd-interval client none
svc dpd-interval gateway none
svc compression deflate
url-server (inside) vendor websense host 10.0.20.8 timeout 30 protocol
UDP version 4
filter url 443 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 allow
filter url http 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 allow
http server enable

no snmp-server location
no snmp-server contact
snmp-server enable traps snmp authentication linkup linkdown coldstart
crypto ipsec transform-set ESP-3DES-MD5 esp-3des esp-md5-hmac
crypto map outside_map 20 match address outside_20_cryptomap_1
crypto map outside_map 20 set peer xx.yy.bb.cc
crypto map outside_map 20 set transform-set ESP-3DES-MD5
crypto map outside_map interface outside
crypto isakmp enable outside
crypto isakmp policy 10
authentication pre-share
encryption 3des
hash md5
group 2
lifetime 86400
crypto isakmp policy 40
authentication pre-share
encryption 3des
hash md5
group 1
lifetime 86400
crypto isakmp nat-traversal 20
crypto isakmp ipsec-over-tcp port 10000
tunnel-group xx.yy.bb.cc type ipsec-l2l
tunnel-group xx.yy.bb.cc ipsec-attributes
pre-shared-key *
peer-id-validate nocheck
pre-shared-key *
telnet 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 inside
telnet timeout 5
ssh timeout 5
console timeout 0
management-access inside
dhcpd auto_config outside
!
dhcpd address 10.0.50.2-10.0.50.33 inside
dhcpd dns 10.0.20.12 10.0.20.16 interface inside
dhcpd lease 360000 interface inside
dhcpd domain lowery interface inside
dhcpd option 3 ip 10.0.50.1 interface inside
!

!
class-map inspection_default
match default-inspection-traffic
!
!
policy-map type inspect dns preset_dns_map
parameters
message-length maximum 512
policy-map global_policy
class inspection_default
inspect dns preset_dns_map
inspect ftp
inspect h323 h225
inspect h323 ras
inspect rsh
inspect rtsp
inspect esmtp
inspect sqlnet
inspect skinny
inspect sunrpc
inspect xdmcp
inspect sip
inspect netbios
inspect tftp
!
service-policy global_policy global
prompt hostname context

Mike W.

Peter Simons wrote:
> Hi
>
> Have a site to site VPN problem
> The network servers are Microsoft windows server both 2000 and 2003.
>
> At the remote site using an ASA to ASA VPN clients could pick up email
> from an exchange server buy not send email.

Perhaps you need the command:

same-security-traffic permit intra-interface

Peter Simons

Mike W. wrote:
> Peter Simons wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Have a site to site VPN problem
>> The network servers are Microsoft windows server both 2000 and 2003.
>>
>> At the remote site using an ASA to ASA VPN clients could pick up
>> email from an exchange server buy not send email.

> Perhaps you need the command:
>
> same-security-traffic permit intra-interface

Unless miss understand the command I do not think it would help our set
up is

Email------ASA-------Internet-------ASA------Client
Server

I believe that command would make all sites communicate in the following
set up

Email------ASA------Internet-------ASA-------Client
Server |

|----------ASA-------Client

Peter Simons

> Hi
>
> Have a site to site VPN problem
> The network servers are Microsoft windows server both 2000 and 2003.
>
> At the remote site using an ASA to ASA VPN clients could pick up email
> from an exchange server buy not send email.

To clarify
At the remote site using an ASA to ASA VPN, clients on the remote
network could pick up email from an exchange server but not send email

Peter

Chad Mahoney

Peter Simons wrote:

>> Hi
>>
>> Have a site to site VPN problem
>> The network servers are Microsoft windows server both 2000 and 2003.
>>
>> At the remote site using an ASA to ASA VPN clients could pick up
>> email from an exchange server buy not send email.
>>

> To clarify
> At the remote site using an ASA to ASA VPN, clients on the remote
> network could pick up email from an exchange server but not send email
>
> Peter

How do the clients connect to the exchange server? Are they using POP3
or exchange profile?

One thing to also try is from a client on the remote end, open a DOS
prompt and try to telnet to the server:

telnet 1.1.1.1 25

Where 1.1.1.1 is the IP of the exchange server, do you get the SMTP banner?

Peter Simons

Chad Mahoney wrote:
> Peter Simons wrote:

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Have a site to site VPN problem
>>> The network servers are Microsoft windows server both 2000 and 2003.
>>>
>>> At the remote site using an ASA to ASA VPN clients could pick up
>>> email from an exchange server buy not send email.
>>>

>> To clarify
>> At the remote site using an ASA to ASA VPN, clients on the remote
>> network could pick up email from an exchange server but not send email
>>
>> Peter

> How do the clients connect to the exchange server? Are they using POP3
> or exchange profile?

Exchange profile

> One thing to also try is from a client on the remote end, open a DOS
> prompt and try to telnet to the server:
>
> telnet 1.1.1.1 25
>
> Where 1.1.1.1 is the IP of the exchange server, do you get the SMTP banner?

Unfortunately I did not try that. Put ping worked fine.

An other problem was that if I tried to synchronize with the time server
at the main Site I got various net work errors. such as network error
121. These cleared once a pix was used.

Also two laptops that had been used at other sites could collect mail.
It was not IP dependent as if I took one laptop off the network and gave
another machine its IP address that machine still could not send mail.
If I gave the laptop another IP it still could send mail. I do wonder
if it was a problem with netbios encapsulated as TCIP.

Currently Left Pix in place so people can work. Like to sort problem
before I try the ASA again

Thanks

Peter

Chad Mahoney

Peter Simons wrote:

> Unfortunately I did not try that. Put ping worked fine.

Ping could work all day. ICMP is not TCP, please test the telnet and
post the results.

Peter Simons

Chad Mahoney wrote:
> Peter Simons wrote:
>>

>> Unfortunately I did not try that. Put ping worked fine.
>>

> Ping could work all day. ICMP is not TCP, please test the telnet and
> post the results.

Unfortunaly I cannot do that test as I need to get the site up and working.

The main site cold establish a VNC connection on port 5900. So there
seamed to be TCP connectivity. Just remembered Outlook webmail worked is
you typed in the IP address of the mail server but no the server Main in
a browser.

Peter

Peter Simons

Chad Mahoney wrote:
> Peter Simons wrote:
>>

>> Unfortunately I did not try that. Put ping worked fine.
>>

> Ping could work all day. ICMP is not TCP, please test the telnet and

post the results.

Unfortunaly I cannot do that test as I need to get the site up and working.

The main site cold establish a VNC connection on port 5900. So there
seamed to be TCP connectivity. Just remembered Outlook webmail worked is
you typed in the IP address of the mail server but not the server name
in a browser.

Peter

Chad Mahoney

Peter Simons wrote:

> Chad Mahoney wrote:
>> Peter Simons wrote:
>>>

>>> Unfortunately I did not try that. Put ping worked fine.
>>>

>> Ping could work all day. ICMP is not TCP, please test the telnet and
>> post the results.

> Unfortunaly I cannot do that test as I need to get the site up and working.
>
> The main site cold establish a VNC connection on port 5900. So there
> seamed to be TCP connectivity. Just remembered Outlook webmail worked is
> you typed in the IP address of the mail server but no the server Main in
> a browser.
>

> Peter

2 things

1. If you can connect to resources across the tunnel via the IP address
but not host name, then you have DNS problems. DNS is not TCP it is UDP.

2. Are you using RPC over HTTP? Cache Mode?

I see you are using this ACL on the ASA for communication between the sites:

access-list inside_nat0_outbound extended permit ip 10.0.50.0
255.255.255.0 10.0.20.0 255.255.255.0

So you are allowing 10.0.50.0/24 to 10.0.200/24 but I do not see where
you are allowing 10.0.20.0/24 into the 10.0.50.0/24 network. Are you
syslogging the ASA, can you capture some traffic and post it?