Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > How to read an SSL stream in classic ASP?

How to read an SSL stream in classic ASP?

antonyliu2002@yahoo.com

I have successfully retrieved data through SSL channel in my ASP.NET
application. I followed the trick Jan provided on his blog:
http://weblogs.asp.net/jan/archive/2.../04/41154.aspx

Now, I am wondering if we could read from a secure socket in classic
asp. In other words, in a classic ASP web, how to connect to URI's
starting with HTTPS and get the web page (e.g. https://www.verisign.com)

Please share your two cents. Thanks.

antonyliu2002@yahoo.com

On Jun 27, 12:22 pm, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have successfully retrieved data through SSL channel in my ASP.NET
> application. I followed the trick Jan provided on his blog:http://weblogs.asp.net/jan/archive/2.../04/41154.aspx
>
> Now, I am wondering if we could read from a secure socket in classic
> asp. In other words, in a classic ASP web, how to connect to URI's
> starting with HTTPS and get the web page (e.g.https://www.verisign.com)
>
> Please share your two cents. Thanks.

Nobody responds, which probably suggests that there is no solution to
this problem. Right?

John Timney \(MVP\)

Theres always a solution to every problem - you just need to have some
patience
http://www.screen-scraper.com/products/urlfetch.php

also, the webbrowser control can likely be late bound to in asp, it can do
ssl from what I remember.......and the xmlhttprequest opbject can be late
bound in asp.

Of course, the obvious way is to proxy the scrape via an asp.net webservice
on the same IIS server hosting the asp and bind to that in asp using a soap
library.

Regards

John Timney (MVP)
http://www.johntimney.com
http://www.johntimney.com/blog

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Jun 27, 12:22 pm, "(E-Mail Removed)"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I have successfully retrieved data through SSL channel in my ASP.NET
>> application. I followed the trick Jan provided on his
>> blog:http://weblogs.asp.net/jan/archive/2.../04/41154.aspx
>>
>> Now, I am wondering if we could read from a secure socket in classic
>> asp. In other words, in a classic ASP web, how to connect to URI's
>> starting with HTTPS and get the web page (e.g.https://www.verisign.com)
>>
>> Please share your two cents. Thanks.

> Nobody responds, which probably suggests that there is no solution to
> this problem. Right?

antonyliu2002@yahoo.com

On Jun 27, 5:42 pm, "John Timney \(MVP\)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Theres always a solution to every problem - you just need to have some
> patiencehttp://www.screen-scraper.com/products/urlfetch.php
>
> also, the webbrowser control can likely be late bound to in asp, it can do
> ssl from what I remember.......and the xmlhttprequest opbject can be late
> bound in asp.
>
> Of course, the obvious way is to proxy the scrape via an asp.net webservice
> on the same IIS server hosting the asp and bind to that in asp using a soap
> library.
>
> Regards
>
> John Timney (MVP)http://www.johntimney.comhttp://www.johntimney.com/blog

Hi, John,

Thanks a lot. URLFetch sounds like a good solution, but my boss
wouldn't wanna pay for it. Are you saying that there is a
webbrowser control in classic ASP? I am sorta suspicious about it.

Also, I am not sure how to handle this problem through the late-
binding approach you mentioned.

>From your hint in your last paragraph, I am thinking about this: Now

that I have successfully retrieved the data from a remote web server
through the secure socket (SSL, HTTPS) from an ASPX page, maybe we can
have the classic ASP page access the retrieved data. The work flow I
am thinking about looks like this:

ASP page <----- ASP.NET page <---- HTTPS ------ Remote Web Server

Does this sound like what you were suggesting?

John Timney \(MVP\)

More likely ......

ASP page <----- ASP.NET webservice <---- HTTPS ------ Remote Web Server

Regards

John Timney (MVP)
http://www.johntimney.com
http://www.johntimney.com/blog

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Jun 27, 5:42 pm, "John Timney \(MVP\)"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Theres always a solution to every problem - you just need to have some
>> patiencehttp://www.screen-scraper.com/products/urlfetch.php
>>
>> also, the webbrowser control can likely be late bound to in asp, it can
>> do
>> ssl from what I remember.......and the xmlhttprequest opbject can be late
>> bound in asp.
>>
>> Of course, the obvious way is to proxy the scrape via an asp.net
>> webservice
>> on the same IIS server hosting the asp and bind to that in asp using a
>> soap
>> library.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> John Timney (MVP)http://www.johntimney.comhttp://www.johntimney.com/blog
>>

> Hi, John,
>
> Thanks a lot. URLFetch sounds like a good solution, but my boss
> wouldn't wanna pay for it. Are you saying that there is a
> webbrowser control in classic ASP? I am sorta suspicious about it.
>
> Also, I am not sure how to handle this problem through the late-
> binding approach you mentioned.
>
>>From your hint in your last paragraph, I am thinking about this: Now

> that I have successfully retrieved the data from a remote web server
> through the secure socket (SSL, HTTPS) from an ASPX page, maybe we can
> have the classic ASP page access the retrieved data. The work flow I
> am thinking about looks like this:
>
> ASP page <----- ASP.NET page <---- HTTPS ------ Remote Web Server
>
> Does this sound like what you were suggesting?

antonyliu2002@yahoo.com

On Jun 29, 7:35 am, "John Timney \(MVP\)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> More likely ......
>
> ASP page <----- ASP.NET webservice <----HTTPS------ Remote Web Server
>
> Regards
>
> John Timney (MVP)http://www.johntimney.comhttp://www.johntimney.com/blog

Yes, yes, a web service makes more sense since no user interface is
needed.