Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Hi!

thegreatnate1991@gmail.com

I just signed up, and I'm trying to get this newsgroup through my POP
email. I've got Gmail set up to go to POP (thunderbird, in this case),
and I tried putting in the newsgroup name as "alt.computer". Now this
message will see if it works. If it doesn't, I'll let you know. If it
doesnt' work, then I'm gonna need some help

Thanks
-Nate

Capt. Barbossa

Aye it works, the Captain Says state your purpose here.

> I just signed up, and I'm trying to get this newsgroup through my POP
> email. I've got Gmail set up to go to POP (thunderbird, in this case),
> and I tried putting in the newsgroup name as "alt.computer". Now this
> message will see if it works. If it doesn't, I'll let you know. If it
> doesnt' work, then I'm gonna need some help
>
> Thanks
> -Nate

Nate

On Jun 27, 10:03 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I just signed up, and I'm trying to get this newsgroup through my POP
> email. I've got Gmail set up to go to POP (thunderbird, in this case),
> and I tried putting in the newsgroup name as "alt.computer". Now this
> message will see if it works. If it doesn't, I'll let you know. If it
> doesnt' work, then I'm gonna need some help
>
> Thanks
> -Nate

Ok, so it didn't work. Anyone have any ideas? Like I said, I want to
get the group emails through my POP email application.

Thanks again
-Nate

Capt. Barbossa

I wasn't even aware one could get newsgroups through pop.

Nate wrote:
> On Jun 27, 10:03 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I just signed up, and I'm trying to get this newsgroup through my POP
>> email. I've got Gmail set up to go to POP (thunderbird, in this case),
>> and I tried putting in the newsgroup name as "alt.computer". Now this
>> message will see if it works. If it doesn't, I'll let you know. If it
>> doesnt' work, then I'm gonna need some help
>>
>> Thanks
>> -Nate

> Ok, so it didn't work. Anyone have any ideas? Like I said, I want to
> get the group emails through my POP email application.
>
> Thanks again
> -Nate

Paul

Nate wrote:
> On Jun 27, 10:03 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I just signed up, and I'm trying to get this newsgroup through my POP
>> email. I've got Gmail set up to go to POP (thunderbird, in this case),
>> and I tried putting in the newsgroup name as "alt.computer". Now this
>> message will see if it works. If it doesn't, I'll let you know. If it
>> doesnt' work, then I'm gonna need some help
>>
>> Thanks
>> -Nate

> Ok, so it didn't work. Anyone have any ideas? Like I said, I want to
> get the group emails through my POP email application.
>
> Thanks again
> -Nate

You can use a real newsgroup server and read all the messages there.
A tiny icon on the screen, marks the threads you have participated in.

In Thunderbird, open a new account and set it up for newsgroups. See this
page for free newsgroup access. Use one of the options listed on this
page, as the "server" to use, when setting up your new account.

http://news.aioe.org/

Once you connect to aioe.org , subscribe to alt.computer . Now you can
post and read newsgroup postings. There is a limit as to how many postings
you can make a day with this account. It is not an "all you can eat"
download server. It is intended for text messages and communicating with
people, not downloading DVDs.

The uptime of this server is not 100%, but what do you expect for free.
I don't think there is really a team maintaining it, and it is mainly the
efforts of one person. Still, when my ISP shut down our local server, I
swore I would not pay one additional dime for USENET access. This is
what I use.

And alt.test is where test news postings go.

Paul

Nate

On Jun 27, 11:15 am, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Nate wrote:
> > On Jun 27, 10:03 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >> I just signed up, and I'm trying to get this newsgroup through my POP
> >> email. I've got Gmail set up to go to POP (thunderbird, in this case),
> >> and I tried putting in the newsgroup name as "alt.computer". Now this
> >> message will see if it works. If it doesn't, I'll let you know. If it
> >> doesnt' work, then I'm gonna need some help

> >> Thanks
> >> -Nate

> > Ok, so it didn't work. Anyone have any ideas? Like I said, I want to
> > get the group emails through my POP email application.

> > Thanks again
> > -Nate

> You can use a real newsgroup server and read all the messages there.
> A tiny icon on the screen, marks the threads you have participated in.
>
> In Thunderbird, open a new account and set it up for newsgroups. See this
> page for free newsgroup access. Use one of the options listed on this
> page, as the "server" to use, when setting up your new account.
>
> http://news.aioe.org/
>
> Once you connect to aioe.org , subscribe to alt.computer . Now you can
> post and read newsgroup postings. There is a limit as to how many postings
> you can make a day with this account. It is not an "all you can eat"
> download server. It is intended for text messages and communicating with
> people, not downloading DVDs.
>
> The uptime of this server is not 100%, but what do you expect for free.
> I don't think there is really a team maintaining it, and it is mainly the
> efforts of one person. Still, when my ISP shut down our local server, I
> swore I would not pay one additional dime for USENET access. This is
> what I use.
>
> And alt.test is where test news postings go.
>
> Paul

Thanks a lot, Paul. I really needed that.

Nate

Nate wrote:
> On Jun 27, 11:15 am, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Nate wrote:
>>> Ok, so it didn't work. Anyone have any ideas? Like I said, I want to
>>> get the group emails through my POP email application.
>>> Thanks again
>>> -Nate

>> You can use a real newsgroup server and read all the messages there.
>> A tiny icon on the screen, marks the threads you have participated in.
>>
>> In Thunderbird, open a new account and set it up for newsgroups. See this
>> page for free newsgroup access. Use one of the options listed on this
>> page, as the "server" to use, when setting up your new account.
>>
>> http://news.aioe.org/
>>
>> Once you connect to aioe.org , subscribe to alt.computer . Now you can
>> post and read newsgroup postings. There is a limit as to how many postings
>> you can make a day with this account. It is not an "all you can eat"
>> download server. It is intended for text messages and communicating with
>> people, not downloading DVDs.
>>
>> The uptime of this server is not 100%, but what do you expect for free.
>> I don't think there is really a team maintaining it, and it is mainly the
>> efforts of one person. Still, when my ISP shut down our local server, I
>> swore I would not pay one additional dime for USENET access. This is
>> what I use.
>>
>> And alt.test is where test news postings go.
>>
>> Paul

> Thanks a lot, Paul. I really needed that.

Alright, here it is. It worked perfectly