Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Microsoft XP Professional x64 Edition End Of Life

Microsoft XP Professional x64 Edition End Of Life

=?Utf-8?B?Q0FEMg==?=

Hi All,

I have just been informed by my distributer that x64 edition of Windows XP
Pro is now EOL. Now as you can expect that with our primary customers being
in the CAD industry we are now in a severe hole. A substantial amount of CAD
products do not work or are not supported with Vista Business 64. Therefore a
huge amount of our customers that are purchasing our equipment will be unable
to use it with thier software. I am aware that the customer can use the
downgrade right for business products but for a customer to be able to do
this he has to already own a licenced version of x64 or some sort of MULP
agreement which is a ridiculous burden on a new or small business.

Are there any other paths that can be explored? Are there any paths as a
reseller that we can explore on behalf of the customer?

Thanks

Theo

Even though an EOL for Win x64 may have been announced,
usually it's around the 3 year mark before it's actually
dropped. I would think you have awhile to find another
solution. It's not likely it will die immediately since Pro
x64 is based on Server 2003 and Microsoft does not have a
replacement released for Server 2003 at this time.

CAD2 wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have just been informed by my distributer that x64 edition of Windows XP
> Pro is now EOL. Now as you can expect that with our primary customers being
> in the CAD industry we are now in a severe hole. A substantial amount of CAD
> products do not work or are not supported with Vista Business 64. Therefore a
> huge amount of our customers that are purchasing our equipment will be unable
> to use it with thier software. I am aware that the customer can use the
> downgrade right for business products but for a customer to be able to do
> this he has to already own a licenced version of x64 or some sort of MULP
> agreement which is a ridiculous burden on a new or small business.
>
> Are there any other paths that can be explored? Are there any paths as a
> reseller that we can explore on behalf of the customer?
>
> Thanks

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
See this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
|> Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 10:57:29 -0400
|> From: Theo <(E-Mail Removed)>
|> Subject: Re: Microsoft XP Professional x64 Edition End Of Life
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
|>
|> Even though an EOL for Win x64 may have been announced,
|> usually it's around the 3 year mark before it's actually
|> dropped. I would think you have awhile to find another
|> solution. It's not likely it will die immediately since Pro
|> x64 is based on Server 2003 and Microsoft does not have a
|> replacement released for Server 2003 at this time.
|>

|> CAD2 wrote:
|> > Hi All,
|> >
|> > I have just been informed by my distributer that x64 edition of
Windows XP
|> > Pro is now EOL. Now as you can expect that with our primary customers
being
|> > in the CAD industry we are now in a severe hole. A substantial amount
of CAD
|> > products do not work or are not supported with Vista Business 64.
Therefore a
|> > huge amount of our customers that are purchasing our equipment will be
unable
|> > to use it with thier software. I am aware that the customer can use
the
|> > downgrade right for business products but for a customer to be able to
do
|> > this he has to already own a licenced version of x64 or some sort of
MULP
|> > agreement which is a ridiculous burden on a new or small business.
|> >
|> > Are there any other paths that can be explored? Are there any paths as
|> > reseller that we can explore on behalf of the customer?
|> >
|> > Thanks

Charlie Russel - MVP

Thanks, I knew that page existed, but couldn't find it this morning.

And, as for questions of support, this from the FAQ section...

Business and Developer products

Microsoft will offer a minimum of 10 years of support for Business and
Developer products. Mainstream support for Business and Developer products
will be provided for 5 years or for 2 years after the successor product
(N+1) is released, whichever is longer. Microsoft will also provide Extended
support for the 5 years following Mainstream support or for 2 years after
the second successor product (N+2) is released, whichever is longer.
Finally, most Business and Developer products will receive at least 10 years
of online self-help support.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
> See this link:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx
>
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
> |> Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 10:57:29 -0400
> |> From: Theo <(E-Mail Removed)>
> |> Subject: Re: Microsoft XP Professional x64 Edition End Of Life
> |> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
> |>
> |> Even though an EOL for Win x64 may have been announced,
> |> usually it's around the 3 year mark before it's actually
> |> dropped. I would think you have awhile to find another
> |> solution. It's not likely it will die immediately since Pro
> |> x64 is based on Server 2003 and Microsoft does not have a
> |> replacement released for Server 2003 at this time.

> Windows XP
> being
> of CAD
> Therefore a
> be
> unable
> the
> do
> MULP

> as

Chuck Walbourn [MSFT]

Looking at the lifecycle page, Windows XP x64 Edition and all other Windows
XP edition will remain for sale until January 31, 2008. System builders can
continue to get it until January 31, 2009. If you check
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=8599 you will see that Mainstream
support from Microsoft ends April 14, 2009. Extended support remains
avialable through April 8, 2014.

It sounds like more the vendor has decided to EOL Windows XP x64 Edition,
not Microsoft.

--
Chuck Walbourn
SDE, XNA Developer Connection

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yup, I'd agree.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Chuck Walbourn [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46843cae$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Looking at the lifecycle page, Windows XP x64 Edition and all other
> Windows XP edition will remain for sale until January 31, 2008. System
> builders can continue to get it until January 31, 2009. If you check
> http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=8599 you will see that
> Mainstream support from Microsoft ends April 14, 2009. Extended support
> remains avialable through April 8, 2014.
>
> It sounds like more the vendor has decided to EOL Windows XP x64 Edition,
> not Microsoft.
>
> --
> Chuck Walbourn
> SDE, XNA Developer Connection

> rights.

Doug Forster

Hi Darrell,

Just to extend the topic slightly. What will be the status of of the
activation process as XP and other activated products move past EOL date
especially for MSDN licensing but also re hardware changes that might
require reactivation? Our company uses several dev tools that simply don't
work on Vista and we are committed to these for many years yet.

Cheers
Doug Forster