Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java crashes - only message is "Aborted"???

Java crashes - only message is "Aborted"???

dduck

Hi,

We have a strange problem. Our program occationally crashes after
running for several hours. Nothing is logged, and the only message
written to the console is "Aborted" - no stack trace, no exception, no
nothing. We have encapsulated the invocation in try/catch Throwable in
an attempt to at least be able to log a stack trace, but apparently no
exception is thrown. No core dump or fatal error log is produced.

Our code leverages a Java SDK from Canto (Cumulus), which uses native
code via JNI invocation. We are currently running the program with
option verbose:jni, in the hope that this will help us pinpoint the
error, and are currently eagerly awaiting a crash.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Sincerely,
Anders S. Johansen

Gordon Beaton

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 06:37:22 -0700, dduck wrote:
> We have a strange problem. Our program occationally crashes after
> running for several hours. Nothing is logged, and the only message
> written to the console is "Aborted" - no stack trace, no exception,
> no nothing.

[...]
> No core dump or fatal error log is produced.

[...]
> Any suggestions on how to proceed?

You've received SIGABRT, either because someone has sent that signal
(with kill), or because the code itself invokes abort(), perhaps via
assert().

Try doing "ulimit -c unlimited" in the shell (or start script) before
starting the application, or confirm with "ulimit -c" that the setting
is "unlimited". That should get you a corefile.

/gordon

dduck

On Jun 27, 3:54 pm, Gordon Beaton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Try doing "ulimit -c unlimited" in the shell (or start script) before
> starting the application, or confirm with "ulimit -c" that the setting
> is "unlimited". That should get you a corefile.

Thank you. We will try that.

Sincerely,
Anders

Nigel Wade

dduck wrote:

> On Jun 27, 3:54 pm, Gordon Beaton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Try doing "ulimit -c unlimited" in the shell (or start script) before
>> starting the application, or confirm with "ulimit -c" that the setting
>> is "unlimited". That should get you a corefile.

> Thank you. We will try that.
>
> Sincerely,
> Anders

What OS are you running this on?

You might be hitting a resource limit which is aborting the command. What limits
are imposed (CPU, stack size, vm size etc) in your environment?

E-mail : http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555

dduck

On Jun 27, 6:07 pm, Nigel Wade <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> dduck wrote:
> > On Jun 27, 3:54 pm, Gordon Beaton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Try doing "ulimit -c unlimited" in the shell (or start script) before
> >> starting the application, or confirm with "ulimit -c" that the setting
> >> is "unlimited". That should get you a corefile.

> > Thank you. We will try that.

> > Sincerely,
> > Anders

> What OS are you running this on?
>
> You might be hitting a resource limit which is aborting the command. What limits
> are imposed (CPU, stack size, vm size etc) in your environment?

We are running on RedHat Linux on an x86 arch. I will post precise
info on this tomorrow when I get back to the office (no remote access
to that particular machine).

We constantly monitor the app with JConsole. There are no indications
that any obvious resource is being exhausted (CPU, memory, threads,
classes loaded...).

Thank you for your suggestions - I will look into it and report the
findings.

Sincerely,
Anders

Nigel Wade

dduck wrote:

> On Jun 27, 6:07 pm, Nigel Wade <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> dduck wrote:

>> > Thank you. We will try that.

>> > Sincerely,
>> > Anders

>> What OS are you running this on?
>>
>> You might be hitting a resource limit which is aborting the command. What

limits
>> are imposed (CPU, stack size, vm size etc) in your environment?

> We are running on RedHat Linux on an x86 arch. I will post precise
> info on this tomorrow when I get back to the office (no remote access
> to that particular machine).
>
> We constantly monitor the app with JConsole. There are no indications
> that any obvious resource is being exhausted (CPU, memory, threads,
> classes loaded...).
>
> Thank you for your suggestions - I will look into it and report the
> findings.
>
> Sincerely,
> Anders

You won't get any indication that a resource limit is nearly exhausted, your
program only receives the indication when it is exhausted. That may just be a
failure to allocate a new resource, such as failing to open a file because you
already have open the max. allowed, or the program being aborted due to
exceeding the CPU limit.

"ulimit -a" should tell you your limits in Linux.

E-mail : (E-Mail Removed)
Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555

Roedy Green

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 06:37:22 -0700, dduck <(E-Mail Removed)>

> the only message
>written to the console is "Aborted"

do a global search of your source code for the string "Aborted". It
may be the app itself exiting on some "impossible" condition.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary

David Gourley

Roedy Green wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 06:37:22 -0700, dduck <(E-Mail Removed)>
>

>>the only message
>>written to the console is "Aborted"

> do a global search of your source code for the string "Aborted". It
> may be the app itself exiting on some "impossible" condition.
> --
> Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
> The Java Glossary
> http://mindprod.com

Or if that doesn't show up, truss (or whatever the Linux equivalent is)
the JVM running your application: this will tell you what system call
failed with an errno which you can look up in the man pages - this might
give a clue which resource got exhausted. I think the compile thread
used to abort if it can't allocate memory...

Dave

dduck

Hi all,

Just for the record: The problem i solved, and it was indeed resource
allocation innon-java code that was the culprit. It turned out that
the Canto code under certain circumstances would not perform its
internal garbage collection, which eventuelly led to memory usage
hitting the hardware wall at 2GB.

As all memory was allocated, there was of course no java core file,
and no stack trace. I'm still trying to figure out why there was no
ordinary core file, but that's mainly to satisfy my curiosity.

Thank you for your help - it was really useful!

Sincerely,
Anders S. Johansen, Royal Danish Library