Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Out of memory compilation

Out of memory compilation

Akanksha

Hey!

I have a little problem here.. I am trying to compile a huge C++ code
of about 2 lakh lines and the compilation gives me the following error

cc1plus: out of memory allocating 42381928 bytes after a total of
391704576 bytes
make: *** [model_1.o] Error 1

I am running this on a server with 4 GB RAM..

The code uses ILOG libraries.. ILOG is a licensed constraint solver...

Why would a code compilation need so much memory and how can I find
where exactly is it consuming so much memory?

Akanksha

Chris Dollin

Akanksha wrote:

> I have a little problem here.. I am trying to compile a huge C++ code

We do C here, not C++.

> of about 2 lakh lines and the compilation gives me the following error
>
> cc1plus: out of memory allocating 42381928 bytes after a total of
> 391704576 bytes
> make: *** [model_1.o] Error 1
>
> I am running this on a server with 4 GB RAM..
>
> The code uses ILOG libraries.. ILOG is a licensed constraint solver...
>
> Why would a code compilation need so much memory and how can I find
> where exactly is it consuming so much memory?

Dunno -- but you might be able to find out on a forum which deals
with your specific compiler. I would ask for help on comp.lang.c++
first, of course.

--
Hewlett-Packard Limited registered no:

Keith Thompson

Akanksha <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I have a little problem here.. I am trying to compile a huge C++ code
> of about 2 lakh lines and the compilation gives me the following error

[snip]

You'll find that most people outside India are not familiar with the
word "lakh" (it means one hundred thousand).

CBFalconer

Keith Thompson wrote:
> Akanksha <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> I have a little problem here.. I am trying to compile a huge C++
>> code of about 2 lakh lines and the compilation gives me the error

> [snip]
>
> You'll find that most people outside India are not familiar with
> the word "lakh" (it means one hundred thousand).

I assumed it represented something larger than 1000 Probably
smaller than 10e9.

cbfalconer at maineline dot net