Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > x64 photoshop mystery problem

x64 photoshop mystery problem

miso@sushi.com

As posted by me a few times, I have this problem where photoshop
doesn't work with X64. It comes and goes. At the moment, photoshop is
running. Now that photoshop IS working, any idea of what kind of
diagnostic would be useful to run? That is, run some diagnostic now,
then when photoshop starts to crash again, run the same diagnostic and
see what is different.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=

Which version of Photoshop???

I have had absolutely no problems with either PS CS2 or PS CS3.

Did you install the public beta of PS CS3 which Adobe released. If you did,
there is a script which Adobe released, which you were supposed to run before
installing the retail version of CS3. People who neglected to run this did
run into problems on any of MS's operating systems (both 32-bit and 64-bit).

If this is true for you, uninstall Photoshop CS3 and then run the scripts
which can be downloaded from
http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html

miso@sushi.com

On Jun 27, 12:30 am, Carol Steele
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Which version of Photoshop???
>
> I have had absolutely no problems with either PS CS2 or PS CS3.
>
> Did you install the public beta of PS CS3 which Adobe released. If you did,
> there is a script which Adobe released, which you were supposed to run before
> installing the retail version of CS3. People who neglected to run this did
> run into problems on any of MS's operating systems (both 32-bit and 64-bit).
>
> If this is true for you, uninstall Photoshop CS3 and then run the scripts
> which can be downloaded fromhttp://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html

My version of photoshop is stone age (rev 6). However, I tried the
eval version of one of the CS programs (CS3 I think) and it bombed.
This problem comes and goes. Only two programs are effected. Photoshop
6 and Open Office Calc.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=

If you've had the public beta on your system I would recommend that you
uninstall your present version, download and run the script and then
re-install version 6

miso@sushi.com

On Jun 27, 9:06 am, Carol Steele
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> If you've had the public beta on your system I would recommend that you
> uninstall your present version, download and run the script and then
> re-install version 6

I had this problem way before loading the public beta. At the moment,
I'm going to avoid rebooting until I can figure out why photoshop is
working.

There is something about how photoshop opens up it's scratch files
that are not kosher with X64.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=

I'm afraid that is not correct. I have been using CS2 and CS3 on XP x64 for
almost a year now without a single problem - and I personally know at least
another 6 people who are running Photoshop (various versions from PS7 through
to CS3) without your problem.

You aren't using a network drive or a removeable disk for the scratch disk
are you?? Do you have a separate dedicated partition for the scratch disk.
If you're not, which drive do you use for the scratch disk?? How much space
is available on it??

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> There is something about how photoshop opens up it's scratch files
> that are not kosher with X64.

miso@sushi.com

On Jun 27, 3:58 pm, Carol Steele
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm afraid that is not correct. I have been using CS2 and CS3 on XP x64 for
> almost a year now without a single problem - and I personally know at least
> another 6 people who are running Photoshop (various versions from PS7 through
> to CS3) without your problem.
>
> You aren't using a network drive or a removeable disk for the scratch disk
> are you?? Do you have a separate dedicated partition for the scratch disk.
> If you're not, which drive do you use for the scratch disk?? How much space
> is available on it??
>
> "(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
> > There is something about how photoshop opens up it's scratch files
> > that are not kosher with X64.

Seriously, you have a lot of nerve to say I'm not having problems with
Photoshop, as if I can't tell when a program crashes. I've sent
countless error reports to Microsoft.

My drives are all internal. I use a C partition for programs, and an E
partition for user data. Scratch opens on E then C, since E has the
most free space. Photoshop sees about 3.3GBytes of my 4G bytes of RAM,
and allocated half of 3.3G for scratch. I probably never tough a hard
drive given the amount of ram I have.

I've done numerous posts on this issue. Trust me, it's real.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=

I wasn't saying you weren't having any problems, when I said that it wasn't
correct, I was referring to your quote "There is something about how
photoshop opens up it's scratch files that are not kosher with X64."

You will always need to use a scratch disk - I have 8Gb of RAM on my system
- yet simply opening Photoshop sees the scratch disk swell to almost 500Mb -
if I open up a 4Mb JPEG file sees the scratch disk adjust to 562Mb and that
is before I start to do things to it such as add layers, layer masks, etc etc
this quickly bumps it up to over 1 Gb.

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> On Jun 27, 3:58 pm, Carol Steele
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I'm afraid that is not correct. I have been using CS2 and CS3 on XP x64 for
> > almost a year now without a single problem - and I personally know at least
> > another 6 people who are running Photoshop (various versions from PS7 through
> > to CS3) without your problem.
> >
> > You aren't using a network drive or a removeable disk for the scratch disk
> > are you?? Do you have a separate dedicated partition for the scratch disk.
> > If you're not, which drive do you use for the scratch disk?? How much space
> > is available on it??
> >
> > "(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
> > > There is something about how photoshop opens up it's scratch files
> > > that are not kosher with X64.

> Seriously, you have a lot of nerve to say I'm not having problems with
> Photoshop, as if I can't tell when a program crashes. I've sent
> countless error reports to Microsoft.
>
> My drives are all internal. I use a C partition for programs, and an E
> partition for user data. Scratch opens on E then C, since E has the
> most free space. Photoshop sees about 3.3GBytes of my 4G bytes of RAM,
> and allocated half of 3.3G for scratch. I probably never tough a hard
> drive given the amount of ram I have.
>
> I've done numerous posts on this issue. Trust me, it's real.

Josh Hillman

Could there be filesystem corruption that's causing Photoshop to have
problems when trying to use the scratch disks? Click on Start then
Run then type "cmd" and hit Enter to open up a Command Prompt. At
that prompt type
chkdsk /f c:
chkdsk /f e:

If you want to do a more thorough scan, type the following instead:
chkdsk /r c:
chkdsk /r e:

Josh

On Jun 29, 2:56 am, Josh Hillman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Could there be filesystem corruption that's causing Photoshop to have
> problems when trying to use the scratch disks? Click on Start then
> Run then type "cmd" and hit Enter to open up a Command Prompt. At
> that prompt type
> chkdsk /f c:
> chkdsk /f e:
>
> If you want to do a more thorough scan, type the following instead:
> chkdsk /r c:
> chkdsk /r e:
>
> Josh
>
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:20:20 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >On Jun 27, 3:58 pm, Carol Steele
> ><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> I'm afraid that is not correct. I have been using CS2 and CS3 on XP x64 for
> >> almost a year now without a single problem - and I personally know at least
> >> another 6 people who are running Photoshop (various versions from PS7 through
> >> to CS3) without your problem.

> >> You aren't using a network drive or a removeable disk for the scratch disk
> >> are you?? Do you have a separate dedicated partition for the scratch disk.
> >> If you're not, which drive do you use for the scratch disk?? How much space
> >> is available on it??

> >Seriously, you have a lot of nerve to say I'm not having problems with
> >Photoshop, as if I can't tell when a program crashes. I've sent
> >countless error reports to Microsoft.

> >My drives are all internal. I use a C partition for programs, and an E
> >partition for user data. Scratch opens on E then C, since E has the
> >most free space. Photoshop sees about 3.3GBytes of my 4G bytes of RAM,
> >and allocated half of 3.3G for scratch. I probably never tough a hard
> >drive given the amount of ram I have.

> >I've done numerous posts on this issue. Trust me, it's real.

I've done that. I am using Nvidia software RAID, so maybe that is the
problem. I chkdisk, defrag, and sync the raid array. It doesn't make a
difference.

This problem comes and goes. At the moment, I am able to run Photoshop
and Open Office. I am loading 250Mbyte images into Photoshop without a
hitch.

It is very difficult to solve an intermittent problem.