Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > OT: blocking all website, but 1

OT: blocking all website, but 1

Sb

Hoping someone might be able to help me with this small
prob. currently working in a small network as
helpdesk/admin. I have one user that is constantly ringing
me up complaining her pc is slow. Ever time it is caused
by a million and one add ware running, this is so bloody
frustrating as she will not listen to me when told NOT to
go to these site. She has to have access to one particular
site to be able to continue working. Pc is running 2k sp4,
internet explorer 6, can anyone help me with a solution to
block her to only access this one particular website. I
know it won't shut her up but I will be able to ignore her
winging about a slow pc and her manager won't be able to
complain as she will have access to what she needs. We
have no internet tracer running and the firewall wont do
this. Thanks Sb

sj

if you are looking for a "free" fix.
only allow her computer to route to that site and to the email server (DNS
if needed).

or use a firewall/proxy to do the same.

"Sb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2dc701c51e5b$c42ba8e0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hoping someone might be able to help me with this small
> prob. currently working in a small network as
> helpdesk/admin. I have one user that is constantly ringing
> me up complaining her pc is slow. Ever time it is caused
> by a million and one add ware running, this is so bloody
> frustrating as she will not listen to me when told NOT to
> go to these site. She has to have access to one particular
> site to be able to continue working. Pc is running 2k sp4,
> internet explorer 6, can anyone help me with a solution to
> block her to only access this one particular website. I
> know it won't shut her up but I will be able to ignore her
> winging about a slow pc and her manager won't be able to
> complain as she will have access to what she needs. We
> have no internet tracer running and the firewall wont do
> this. Thanks Sb

Sb

yeah will have to be a free/or cheap solution. Firwall is
not able to do this, was hoping interent explorer or 2k
would have a way to stop this.

catwalker63

"Sb" <(E-Mail Removed)> prattled ceaslessly in
news:189701c51e5f$bb75e7c0$(E-Mail Removed):

> yeah will have to be a free/or cheap solution. Firwall is
> not able to do this, was hoping interent explorer or 2k
> would have a way to stop this.

I don't know of a way to block here with just IE6 and win2k. The
following link may go a long way towards helping keep the crap off
though:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Make the file read only and restrict NTFS access for her account to read.

--
Catwalker
aka Pu$$y Feet

"Eat your cereal with a fork and do your homework in the dark."

Thanks catwalker, do you know if I were to upgrade her
machine to XP if I will be able to do what i want?

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?=

You do not need to upgrade to Win XP to do this but you should block the
website in the host file manually if it is not on the list Catwalker gave
you. Also, take away any admin rights she has (and any other user that doesnt
need admin) so the file will not execute.

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> [...]

Thanks all for your help, have decided to use the content
advisor to only allow the select website and all others
will require a password. As their are many sites she was
visiting it would be a long process to block them all.
Thanks all again for your help, but if anyone has a
solution that wont require a password dialog to popup when
she tries to access a restricted site please let me know.

Neil

did you hear "Sb" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
news:2dc701c51e5b$c42ba8e0$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hoping someone might be able to help me with this small
> prob. currently working in a small network as
> helpdesk/admin. I have one user that is constantly ringing
> me up complaining her pc is slow. Ever time it is caused
> by a million and one add ware running, this is so bloody
> frustrating as she will not listen to me when told NOT to
> go to these site. She has to have access to one particular
> site to be able to continue working. Pc is running 2k sp4,
> internet explorer 6, can anyone help me with a solution to
> block her to only access this one particular website. I
> know it won't shut her up but I will be able to ignore her
> winging about a slow pc and her manager won't be able to
> complain as she will have access to what she needs. We
> have no internet tracer running and the firewall wont do
> this. Thanks Sb

how about turning off DNS and giving her a hosts file that contains only
the servers you specify. Lot more work for you, but you have control. You
could add a ton of entries into the block list of IE. I also believe that
SpyBlaster will add entires of know ad-ware sites into the blocked list
of IE.

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- Macintosh....an "Etch-a Sketch" You Don't Have to Shake.

Neil

did you hear "Sb" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
news:294301c51e6b$4a701300$(E-Mail Removed):

> As their are many sites she was
> visiting it would be a long process to block them all.

spyblaster

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

catwalker63

Neil <guess!!!@gmail.com> prattled ceaslessly in
news:Xns960C6429CCA47neilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.1 6:

> how about turning off DNS and giving her a hosts file that contains
> only the servers you specify. Lot more work for you, but you have
> control. You could add a ton of entries into the block list of IE. I
> also believe that SpyBlaster will add entires of know ad-ware sites
> into the blocked list of IE.

Hmmm. Come to think of it, the current version of spybot does this too.
Hey Neil, I didn't think of removing DNS servers. That's a cool power
you have there. <g>