Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > GB Ethernet WAN between two 6000s

GB Ethernet WAN between two 6000s

FredJ

Need some expert input advice. I am new to this stuff, struggling to
get by. We are planning to replace our existing 10Mb Ethernet WAN
with 1GB Ethernet. The 10mb is currently between two 3600 routers.
To take advantage of 1gb we plan on using our 6000 switches with
routing modules. How do we link up the two, since you can't assign IP
address to the gbic interface or can you? somone suggesting creating
vlans. Our two sites are on separate VLAN domains. Any input with
some sample command syntax would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 14:58:06 -0700, FredJ wrote:

> Need some expert input advice. I am new to this stuff, struggling to
> get by. We are planning to replace our existing 10Mb Ethernet WAN
> with 1GB Ethernet. The 10mb is currently between two 3600 routers.
> To take advantage of 1gb we plan on using our 6000 switches with
> routing modules. How do we link up the two, since you can't assign IP
> address to the gbic interface or can you? somone suggesting creating
> vlans. Our two sites are on separate VLAN domains. Any input with
> some sample command syntax would be greatly appreciated.

You can either use the interfaces as layer 3 and give them IP addresses or
layer 2 with vlans.

interface Gi1/1
no switchport
ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.252

or

interface Gi1/1
switchport access vlan 100

interface vlan 100
ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.252

Configuring GigE interfaces really isn't any different from FastEthernet.

Chris.

stephen

"FredJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Need some expert input advice. I am new to this stuff, struggling to
> get by. We are planning to replace our existing 10Mb Ethernet WAN
> with 1GB Ethernet. The 10mb is currently between two 3600 routers.
> To take advantage of 1gb we plan on using our 6000 switches with
> routing modules. How do we link up the two, since you can't assign IP
> address to the gbic interface or can you?

You can if the switches are set up in the right way.

somone suggesting creating
> vlans. Our two sites are on separate VLAN domains. Any input with
> some sample command syntax would be greatly appreciated.

it depends on whether you are running CatOS + IOS on the MSFC (called hybrid
mode sometimes), or just IOS.

it would help if you described the setup.

IOS gives support for various router oriented bells and whistles like DFCs,
CatOS / hybrid has better "switching" features.

IOS supports IP on the port - see another post.

Both setups have pretty high L3 thruput if you have a PFC, or a Sup with it
built in, (M's of packets / sec) - there have been several generations of
processor in the Cat 6000 series chassis.

With hybrid you use CatOS to define a VLAN at L2, and add a logical
interface on the MSFC in that VLAN, then use the MSFC to route between the
VLANs - but you are basically configuring 2 logical functions in the 1 box
separately, to the extent that you log into them separately.
--
Regards

Re: Dual WAN on a 2651, NAT inside, opening one port on the seconday WAN Martin Gallagher Cisco 0 11-27-2012 09:27 AM
PIX 501 - 2 WAN Connections, how to route certain IPs to the 2nd WAN Casper Cisco 1 08-17-2007 08:17 PM
Ethernet WAN and not WAN. AM Cisco 1 05-23-2005 11:45 PM
Need to securely connect workstations on another WAN to my WAN kev Cisco 4 11-17-2003 01:55 AM

Advertisments