Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Deleting previous posts in Google Profile

Deleting previous posts in Google Profile

edswoods.1@juno.com

When Profile is selected in Google Newsgroups, all your previous
postings appear. When you post a new
message, these postings are available for anyone to see. It's not
that I'm impolite or flame anyone, but
I don't particularly like the idea of everyone being able to see what
I've written in the past. Maybe I didn't
express myself clearly or think things out too well and if the
messages had been handwritten I would
have crumpled them up and tossed them. Is there any way to remove
this history or prevent others
from seeing it?

Whiskers

On 2007-06-26, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> When Profile is selected in Google Newsgroups, all your previous
> postings appear. When you post a new
> message, these postings are available for anyone to see. It's not
> that I'm impolite or flame anyone, but
> I don't particularly like the idea of everyone being able to see what
> I've written in the past. Maybe I didn't
> express myself clearly or think things out too well and if the
> messages had been handwritten I would
> have crumpled them up and tossed them. Is there any way to remove
> this history or prevent others
> from seeing it?

As far as Google's own archive is concerned, you can 'nuke' your own
posts using <http://groups.google.com/groups/msgs_remove>.

You might find this interesting too
<http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=46487&query=no+archive&topic=&typ e=>
or <http://shurl.net/4DR> for short.

None of that will have any effect on any other usenet archive or
news-server, of course.

You might like to click around in the various Help and FAQ options provided
by Google, and also to learn the difference between a usenet newsgroup and
a Google Group - you can access both using Google's web forum interface,
and the difference isn't clearly indicated, but they are very different
things. 24hoursupport.helpdesk is a usenet newsgroup, and has nothing at
all to do with Google (or with vBulletin or Interbbs or Talkabout or any
other web forum interface to usenet).

Newcomers to newsgroups should start here

<http://computer.howstuffworks.com/newsgroup.htm>

and here

<http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/>, the Official Home Page of the
newsgroup called news.newusers.questions.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

jlone

On Jun 26, 8:20 am, Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2007-06-26, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > When Profile is selected in Google Newsgroups, all your previous
> > postings appear. When you post a new
> > message, these postings are available for anyone to see. It's not
> > that I'm impolite or flame anyone, but
> > I don't particularly like the idea of everyone being able to see what
> > I've written in the past. Maybe I didn't
> > express myself clearly or think things out too well and if the
> > messages had been handwritten I would
> > have crumpled them up and tossed them. Is there any way toremove
> > this history or prevent others
> > from seeing it?

> As far as Google's ownarchiveis concerned, you can 'nuke' your own
> posts using <http://groups.google.com/groups/msgs_remove>.
>
> You might find this interesting too
> <http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=46487&query=no+...>
> or <http://shurl.net/4DR> for short.
>
> None of that will have any effect on any otherusenetarchiveor
> news-server, of course.
>
> You might like to click around in the various Help and FAQ options provided
> by Google, and also to learn the difference between ausenetnewsgroup and
> a Google Group - you can access both using Google's web forum interface,
> and the difference isn't clearly indicated, but they are very different
> things. 24hoursupport.helpdesk is ausenetnewsgroup, and has nothing at
> all to do with Google (or with vBulletin or Interbbs or Talkabout or any
> other web forum interface tousenet).

I've tried using http://groups.google.com/groups/msgs_remove but it
doesn't work. It doesn't accept the email address that I used to post
on usenet more than 10 years ago. Has anyone had any success with this
self-removal function on Google?

> Newcomers to newsgroups should start here
>
> <http://computer.howstuffworks.com/newsgroup.htm>
>
> and here
>
> <http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/>, the Official Home Page of the
> newsgroup called news.newusers.questions.
>
> --
> -- ^^^^^^^^^^
> -- Whiskers
> -- ~~~~~~~~~~

jlone

Has anyone had success in using Google's removal request function? I
posted some stuff on usenet more than 10 years ago and I am having
trouble getting Google to recognize the email I used. Please please
advise!

On Jun 26, 8:20 am, Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2007-06-26, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > When Profile is selected in Google Newsgroups, all your previous
> > postings appear. When you post a new
> > message, these postings are available for anyone to see. It's not
> > that I'm impolite or flame anyone, but
> > I don't particularly like the idea of everyone being able to see what
> > I've written in the past. Maybe I didn't
> > express myself clearly or think things out too well and if the
> > messages had been handwritten I would
> > have crumpled them up and tossed them. Is there any way toremove
> > this history or prevent others
> > from seeing it?

> As far as Google's ownarchiveis concerned, you can 'nuke' your own
> posts using <http://groups.google.com/groups/msgs_remove>.
>
> You might find this interesting too
> <http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=46487&query=no+...>
> or <http://shurl.net/4DR> for short.
>
> None of that will have any effect on any otherusenetarchiveor
> news-server, of course.
>
> You might like to click around in the various Help and FAQ options provided
> by Google, and also to learn the difference between ausenetnewsgroup and
> a Google Group - you can access both using Google's web forum interface,
> and the difference isn't clearly indicated, but they are very different
> things. 24hoursupport.helpdesk is ausenetnewsgroup, and has nothing at
> all to do with Google (or with vBulletin or Interbbs or Talkabout or any
> other web forum interface tousenet).
>
> Newcomers to newsgroups should start here
>
> <http://computer.howstuffworks.com/newsgroup.htm>
>
> and here
>
> <http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/>, the Official Home Page of the
> newsgroup called news.newusers.questions.
>
> --
> -- ^^^^^^^^^^
> -- Whiskers
> -- ~~~~~~~~~~

Leythos

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I've tried using http://groups.google.com/groups/msgs_remove but it
> doesn't work. It doesn't accept the email address that I used to post
> on usenet more than 10 years ago. Has anyone had any success with this
> self-removal function on Google?

First rule of communications is to NEVER Post anything you would not
want the public to read/see some point.

--
Leythos - (E-Mail Removed) (remove 999 to email me)

and put on his website: http://www.webservertalk.com/message1907860.html
3rd link shows what he's exposed to children (the link I've include does
not directly display his filth). You can find the same information by
googling for 'PCBUTTS1' and 'exposed to kids'.

Whiskers

On 2007-07-11, jlone <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jun 26, 8:20 am, Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 2007-06-26, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[...]

> I've tried using http://groups.google.com/groups/msgs_remove but it
> doesn't work. It doesn't accept the email address that I used to post
> on usenet more than 10 years ago.

What do you mean by 'it doesn't accept ...'?

> Has anyone had any success with this
> self-removal function on Google?

I have.

If you can't get it to work for you, try
<http://groups.google.com/support/bin/request.py>.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

iL_weReo

On Jul 11, 9:49 am, Leythos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
> > I've tried usinghttp://groups.google.com/groups/msgs_removebut it
> > doesn't work. It doesn't accept the email address that I used to post
> > on usenet more than 10 years ago. Has anyone had any success with this
> > self-removal function on Google?

> First rule of communications is to NEVER Post anything you would not
> want the public to read/see some point.
>
> --
> Leythos - (E-Mail Removed) (remove 999 to email me)
>
> Learn more about PCBUTTS1 and his antics and ethic and his perversion
> with Porn and Filth. Just take a look at some of the FILTH he's created
> and put on his website:http://www.webservertalk.com/message1907860.html
> 3rd link shows what he's exposed to children (the link I've include does
> not directly display his filth). You can find the same information by
> googling for 'PCBUTTS1' and 'exposed to kids'.

What's so secretive that you don't want anyone to see?

jlone

Thanks for the reply Whiskers. I get the following message after I
sumbit the url/messageID (Step 2):

"The following Google Groups URLs or Message IDs were posted with a
different email address than the one you specified and will not be
removed."

I've checked and rechecked the email address a million times,
similarly with the url/messageID. I thought the problem was because my
personal identity in the posts were xyz123 instead of xyz123 @
unlv.edu,for example, But then I tried requesting the removal of a
post by another person who had his full email address identified in
the usenet post. Unfortunately, I got the same message again from
Google saying that the email didn't match the post.

Whiskers, how old were your posts? Were they posts on usenet or Google
groups?

Thanks

On Jul 11, 10:17 am, Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2007-07-11, jlone <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On Jun 26, 8:20 am, Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> On 2007-06-26, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]
>
> > I've tried usinghttp://groups.google.com/groups/msgs_removebut it
> > doesn't work. It doesn't accept the email address that I used to post
> > on usenet more than 10 years ago.

> What do you mean by 'it doesn't accept ...'?
>
> > Has anyone had any success with this
> > self-removal function on Google?

> I have.
>
> If you can't get it to work for you, try
> <http://groups.google.com/support/bin/request.py>.
>
> --
> -- ^^^^^^^^^^
> -- Whiskers
> -- ~~~~~~~~~~

Whiskers

On 2007-07-12, jlone <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Whiskers. I get the following message after I
> sumbit the url/messageID (Step 2):
>
> "The following Google Groups URLs or Message IDs were posted with a
> different email address than the one you specified and will not be
> removed."
>
> I've checked and rechecked the email address a million times,
> similarly with the url/messageID. I thought the problem was because my
> personal identity in the posts were xyz123 instead of xyz123 @
> unlv.edu,for example,

Without knowing which posts you want to remove and exactly what email
address you tried, no-one can see if there's a problem there. If you
posted using an email address that is invalid, or which you no longer use,
then Google's automated removal tool probably won't work. Then you need to
provide some other way to convince Google that that the post you want
removed was sent by you. See
<http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=46493&query=remove&topic=&type=>

I think the automatic removal tool may only work if you have a Google
account that matches the email address you used to post the article, even
if you didn't use Google's interface to post the article.

> But then I tried requesting the removal of a
> post by another person who had his full email address identified in
> the usenet post. Unfortunately, I got the same message again from
> Google saying that the email didn't match the post.

Google will not allow you to remove a post unless they are convinced
that you posted it.

> Whiskers, how old were your posts?

I've removed posts of varying ages at various times.

> Were they posts on usenet or Google
> groups?

I don't think I've ever posted to a Google web-forum. I only very rarely
post using the Google Groups interface, but I have been able to 'nuke'
posts that I made using a normal news-server.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

jlone

So I've done a little more digging and actually I could proceed to
step 3 of the removal process for a post that is not mine, just to
figure out why I couldn't do the same for my posts.

First, let's look at a post where we can't get to step 3 of the
removal process. (The poster of the message isn't me)

Email address of the poster: (E-Mail Removed) (Step 1)
message url: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.s...e95dfbeff1fb5b
(Step 2)

And go here to enter the info above: http://www.google.com/groups/msgs_remove

The message I get is the same one that I'm geting when I try to delete
my posts:
"The following Google Groups URLs or Message IDs were posted with a
different email address than the one you specified and will not be
removed."

But if you look at the same post by the same guy (Nathan L. Clegg)
within the same message thread but with a different email address, you
can proceed to step 3!

Email address of the poster: (E-Mail Removed) (Step 1)
message url: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.s...40fc13041beead
(Step 2)

What is going on here? I can't for the life of me figure this one
out.

If you'd like to remove posts you made in the past, but the email
account from which you posted is no longer accessible or valid, you
may still be able to remove your posts.

Deleting old newsgroup posts Bernie King Computer Security 10 01-27-2006 08:36 PM
TB deleting posts Bob Firefox 1 01-09-2005 08:49 PM
Joey! Need some additional info from one of your previous posts (RE: SSL FTP & PIX) Gavin Cisco 0 05-15-2004 03:32 PM
ATTN; Need EXPERT with registry problems (I know from previous posts someone can help) Twitch Computer Support 6 12-30-2003 07:41 PM
XNews not deleting posts Daniel Computer Support 3 11-28-2003 05:07 AM

Advertisments