Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Connect Catalyst 2924 to Linksys Router

Connect Catalyst 2924 to Linksys Router

Trendkill

On Jun 26, 11:50 am, GNY <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jun 26, 11:25 am, Trendkill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Given my configuration can I use different ip address ranges for each
> > > vlan?

> > > Example:
> > > vlan 100 = 192.168.1.0/24
> > > vlan 200 = 10.1.25.0/24

> > Technically you probably have to in the routing world, as you can't
> > assign the same range to two different interfaces on the same router.
> > And even if you could, it would not be advised unless you know exactly
> > what you are doing and what is what. I won't say there is 'no' reason
> > to do it, but there would be very few, if any, reasons to have two
> > different vlans with the same address ranges.

> Hey Trendkill ..
>
> Thanks for answering my question.
>
> I tried plugging each of the vlan ports 100&200 into a port on the
> linksys switch and i got a native vlan mismatch error first and oddly
> both vlans were able to talk to eachother. I'm guessing due to the
> linksys ports not being vlan enabled it puts them all into one vlan/
> network.
>
> So I think overall i need a router capable of doing the vlans. due to
> my example of what i did and wanting to use differnet ip ranges. the
> router is set to use say 192.168.1.0/24 and isnt aware of any clients
> using the 10.1.25.0/24 address and the switch is configured with a
> 192.168.1.0/24 ip address.
>
> I think through trial and error i have figured it out. I do have 2
> other linksys routers that i could use to work my way around, by
> plugging them in after the witch, assigning the appropriate lan
> addresses and plugging into the linksys router going into the cable
> modem, but then again; these networks would then be all on the same
> network theoretically due to the top level router not capable of doing
> vlans or seperating ports. so you could change the ip of one of the
> workstations on one vlan to the ip of the other and might be able to
> access that network.. maybe im wrong here..
>
> hmm .. ebay has some great cheap devices .. what would you recommend
> to achieve what im looking to do?
>
> What im looking to do is more then what I have posted here. I would
> like to use like a 2514 to connect to my cable modem and have those 2
> vlan networks on different network ranges.
>
> Simple enough I know how to work with the devices (routers and
> switches) fully, but designing and the architecture is where i fall
> short.
>
> Suggestions on devices?
>
> Thanks again..
>
> GNY

Yeah and perhaps I answered your question incorrectly last go-round.
While you definitely would need two different addresses on the two
VLANs, the linksys would not support that as it only supports a single
network in its configuration. Therefore you can't make it have two
different router IPs in two different networks. Truthfully, you could
set your first linksys or whatever into the switch in vlan 100 at
192.168.1.0/24. You could then hook in a second linksys directly into
that first one, and just make sure its LAN addresses are different
than 192.168.1.0/24. What I mean here, is its WAN IP would be coming
from the first linksys (192.168.1.X), and then it can serve LAN
addresses in a different network like 192.168.2.0/24. The only
problem with doing this is that nodes from the first network would not
be able to talk to nodes on the second network, as linksys' use NATing
and therefore once host A sent packets to router A, router A would not
know to send these to router B for host B. Therefore you could get
around this by creating a static route on the first router to
192.168.2.0 via the WAN IP of the first router.

I know its confusing, but it should make sense/work.

To answer your second question, yes the easy answer is to buy any
router with multiple ethernet interfaces, or that will will support
vlan trunking to the 2900 or whatever you are running. This way the
routers first interface would plug into the linksys, and its second
would trunk vlan 100 and 200 to the 2900, each with its own network
and dhcp. The router would then be the gateway for hosts in either
vlan (and you could put either vlan on any port on the switch), and
they would be able to intra and inter communicate as desired.

Hope this helps.

GNY

On Jun 26, 12:40 pm, Trendkill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> and therefore once host A sent packets to router A, router A would not
> know to send these to router B for host B. Therefore you could get
> around this by creating a static route on the first router to
> 192.168.2.0 via the WAN IP of the first router.
>
> I know its confusing, but it should make sense/work.
>
> To answer your second question, yes the easy answer is to buy any
> router with multiple ethernet interfaces, or that will will support
> vlan trunking to the 2900 or whatever you are running. This way the
> routers first interface would plug into the linksys, and its second
> would trunk vlan 100 and 200 to the 2900, each with its own network
> and dhcp. The router would then be the gateway for hosts in either
> vlan (and you could put either vlan on any port on the switch), and
> they would be able to intra and inter communicate as desired.

Trendkill,

Thanks for your help so far ..

Cant address your whole post right now..

but cant i use the 2514 in place of the linksys to make life easier
for what i would like to do. Considering the 2514 will run the latest
ios and what not.. i will address the rest of your post when im not at
work

Thanks a whole lot

GNY