Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Connect Catalyst 2924 to Linksys Router

Connect Catalyst 2924 to Linksys Router

GNY

Greets to the list ..

I have a catalyst 2924xk running IOS 12.0.5(wC17) that woks fine
(connecting to the inet) when I configure vlan 1 and plug all lan
devices in. When i plug the devices into say vlan 100 they can all
ping each other, but cannot access the internet.

Because the devices can access the inet when plug into the vlan 1
ports (8-24), its fair to say all m NET dependent configurations are
accurate. Configuring the vlans, is even easier; there is no ip to
assign and i use the "switchport mode access vlan 100" command inside
the interface.

I have tried plugging the deices directly to the switch and pluggin
the switchport to another dell "passive" switch; no trunking needed i
assume.

So what seperates vlan 1 from other created vlans and using the
switchport command do that these other vlans cannot access the inet.

Typical concerns:
- Gateway is set correctly, its the linksys ip address
- IP addesss on te switch is set.
- 2924 ports have been put into access mode
- 2924 is plugged into one of the router switch (4 available) ports.
- I have tried using straight through and cross-over cables

Where am i going wrong here? Or can this switch NOT be used with a
typical home router like the linksys?

Thanks in advance..

GNY

Trendkill

On Jun 25, 6:16 am, GNY <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Greets to the list ..
>
> I have a catalyst 2924xk running IOS 12.0.5(wC17) that woks fine
> (connecting to the inet) when I configure vlan 1 and plug all lan
> devices in. When i plug the devices into say vlan 100 they can all
> ping each other, but cannot access the internet.
>
> Because the devices can access the inet when plug into the vlan 1
> ports (8-24), its fair to say all m NET dependent configurations are
> accurate. Configuring the vlans, is even easier; there is no ip to
> assign and i use the "switchport mode access vlan 100" command inside
> the interface.
>
> I have tried plugging the deices directly to the switch and pluggin
> the switchport to another dell "passive" switch; no trunking needed i
> assume.
>
> So what seperates vlan 1 from other created vlans and using the
> switchport command do that these other vlans cannot access the inet.
>
> Typical concerns:
> - Gateway is set correctly, its the linksys ip address
> - IP addesss on te switch is set.
> - 2924 ports have been put into access mode
> - 2924 is plugged into one of the router switch (4 available) ports.
> - I have tried using straight through and cross-over cables
>
> Where am i going wrong here? Or can this switch NOT be used with a
> typical home router like the linksys?
>
> Thanks in advance..
>
> GNY

It all depends what VLAN the router is in (in regards to access
ports). If you place ALL ports into VLAN 100, including the router,
this will work. If the router is not in VLAN 100, then it will not
work as the clients will be in a VLAN that has no router as a default
route. Unless your linksys supports trunking, and you place IPs in
both VLANs on the router and trunk the VLANs back to the switch, this
will never work. If the switch supports routing itself, you can place
an IP address in VLAN 100 and ensure that routing is enabled, but I'm
fairly certain the 2924 will not support this. Now technically you
could probably place two connections from the linksys, one into an
access port in vlan 1, and one into an access port in vlan 100, and it
should work. The only caveat here is that they hosts on VLAN 1 may
have trouble talking to hosts on VLAN 100. Technically it should
traverse the router and work, but direct broadcasts will not work.

GNY

Trendkill wrote:
> On Jun 25, 6:16 am, GNY <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Greets to the list ..
> >
> > I have a catalyst 2924xk running IOS 12.0.5(wC17) that woks fine
> > (connecting to the inet) when I configure vlan 1 and plug all lan
> > devices in. When i plug the devices into say vlan 100 they can all
> > ping each other, but cannot access the internet.
> >
> > Because the devices can access the inet when plug into the vlan 1
> > ports (8-24), its fair to say all m NET dependent configurations are
> > accurate. Configuring the vlans, is even easier; there is no ip to
> > assign and i use the "switchport mode access vlan 100" command inside
> > the interface.
> >
> > I have tried plugging the deices directly to the switch and pluggin
> > the switchport to another dell "passive" switch; no trunking needed i
> > assume.
> >
> > So what seperates vlan 1 from other created vlans and using the
> > switchport command do that these other vlans cannot access the inet.
> >
> > Typical concerns:
> > - Gateway is set correctly, its the linksys ip address
> > - IP addesss on te switch is set.
> > - 2924 ports have been put into access mode
> > - 2924 is plugged into one of the router switch (4 available) ports.
> > - I have tried using straight through and cross-over cables
> >
> > Where am i going wrong here? Or can this switch NOT be used with a
> > typical home router like the linksys?
> >
> > Thanks in advance..
> >
> > GNY

> It all depends what VLAN the router is in (in regards to access
> ports). If you place ALL ports into VLAN 100, including the router,
> this will work. If the router is not in VLAN 100, then it will not
> work as the clients will be in a VLAN that has no router as a default
> route. Unless your linksys supports trunking, and you place IPs in
> both VLANs on the router and trunk the VLANs back to the switch, this
> will never work. If the switch supports routing itself, you can place
> an IP address in VLAN 100 and ensure that routing is enabled, but I'm
> fairly certain the 2924 will not support this. Now technically you
> could probably place two connections from the linksys, one into an
> access port in vlan 1, and one into an access port in vlan 100, and it
> should work. The only caveat here is that they hosts on VLAN 1 may
> have trouble talking to hosts on VLAN 100. Technically it should
> traverse the router and work, but direct broadcasts will not work.

thanks for the info.. this is what I thought.

I only have the 1 router. I was under the impression that the vlans
could all be routed out through vlan 1 ports to the linksys, but your
statement makes it clear this won't work.

as for the recommendation of plugging into 2 ports and not talking;
I'm not worried. I won't have anything plugged into vlan 1 anway. just
vlan 1 and vlan 2. I'm trying to separate a small home business and
home personal network; nothing major.

if I wanted to; which I tried, how can I assign the switchports an ip?
I can't seem to do that.

thanks for your help though!

GNY

Trendkill

On Jun 25, 11:39 am, GNY <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> > access port in vlan 1, and one into an access port in vlan 100, and it
> > should work. The only caveat here is that they hosts on VLAN 1 may
> > have trouble talking to hosts on VLAN 100. Technically it should
> > traverse the router and work, but direct broadcasts will not work.

> thanks for the info.. this is what I thought.
>
> I only have the 1 router. I was under the impression that the vlans
> could all be routed out through vlan 1 ports to the linksys, but your
> statement makes it clear this won't work.
>
> as for the recommendation of plugging into 2 ports and not talking;
> I'm not worried. I won't have anything plugged into vlan 1 anway. just
> vlan 1 and vlan 2. I'm trying to separate a small home business and
> home personal network; nothing major.
>
> if I wanted to; which I tried, how can I assign the switchports an ip?

It would have to be a layer 3 switch, which I don't think the 2900
does. A 3550 or 60 would provide this functionality, allowing you to
put IPs on ports as well as route between VLANs which would solve your
issue. But with your hardware, you are limited without additional
router interfaces/connections.

Doug McIntyre

GNY <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>I only have the 1 router. I was under the impression that the vlans
>could all be routed out through vlan 1 ports to the linksys, but your
>statement makes it clear this won't work.

No, not on a layer-2 switch. You could do VLAN trunk'ing, but I doubt
the linksys supports vlan trunks.

>as for the recommendation of plugging into 2 ports and not talking;
>I'm not worried. I won't have anything plugged into vlan 1 anway. just
>vlan 1 and vlan 2. I'm trying to separate a small home business and
>home personal network; nothing major.

One thing to note in Cisco switches. VLAN 1 is special. This is the
default 'native' vlan, in which all traffic comes out untagged on VLAN 1.

I don't think this affects you much at all in your setup, but it may.

>if I wanted to; which I tried, how can I assign the switchports an ip?
>I can't seem to do that.

Get a layer-3 switch. A layer-2 switch isn't going to allow you.

Or, add a router capable of doing VLAN trunking.

GNY

On Jun 25, 11:58 am, Trendkill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jun 25, 11:39 am, GNY <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Trendkill wrote:

> > > It all depends what VLAN the router is in (in regards to access
> > > ports). If you place ALL ports into VLAN 100, including the router,
> > > this will work. If the router is not in VLAN 100, then it will not
> > > work as the clients will be in a VLAN that has no router as a default
> > > route. Unless your linksys supports trunking, and you place IPs in
> > > both VLANs on the router and trunk the VLANs back to the switch, this
> > > will never work. If the switch supports routing itself, you can place
> > > an IP address in VLAN 100 and ensure that routing is enabled, but I'm
> > > fairly certain the 2924 will not support this. Now technically you
> > > could probably place two connections from the linksys, one into an
> > > access port in vlan 1, and one into an access port in vlan 100, and it
> > > should work. The only caveat here is that they hosts on VLAN 1 may
> > > have trouble talking to hosts on VLAN 100. Technically it should
> > > traverse the router and work, but direct broadcasts will not work.

> > thanks for the info.. this is what I thought.

> > I only have the 1 router. I was under the impression that the vlans
> > could all be routed out through vlan 1 ports to the linksys, but your
> > statement makes it clear this won't work.

> > as for the recommendation of plugging into 2 ports and not talking;
> > I'm not worried. I won't have anything plugged into vlan 1 anway. just
> > vlan 1 and vlan 2. I'm trying to separate a small home business and
> > home personal network; nothing major.

> > if I wanted to; which I tried, how can I assign the switchports an ip?
> > I can't seem to do that.

> > thanks for your help though!

> > GNY

> It would have to be a layer 3 switch, which I don't think the 2900
> does. A 3550 or 60 would provide this functionality, allowing you to
> put IPs on ports as well as route between VLANs which would solve your
> issue. But with your hardware, you are limited without additional
> router interfaces/connections.

Ok thanks for the recommendation ..

GNY

On Jun 25, 11:59 am, Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> GNY <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >I only have the 1 router. I was under the impression that the vlans
> >could all be routed out through vlan 1 ports to the linksys, but your
> >statement makes it clear this won't work.

> No, not on a layer-2 switch. You could do VLAN trunk'ing, but I doubt
> the linksys supports vlan trunks.
>
> >as for the recommendation of plugging into 2 ports and not talking;
> >I'm not worried. I won't have anything plugged into vlan 1 anway. just
> >vlan 1 and vlan 2. I'm trying to separate a small home business and
> >home personal network; nothing major.

> One thing to note in Cisco switches. VLAN 1 is special. This is the
> default 'native' vlan, in which all traffic comes out untagged on VLAN 1.
>
> I don't think this affects you much at all in your setup, but it may.
>
> >if I wanted to; which I tried, how can I assign the switchports an ip?
> >I can't seem to do that.

> Get a layer-3 switch. A layer-2 switch isn't going to allow you.
>
> Or, add a router capable of doing VLAN trunking.

Yep.. I understnd about the vlan 1 native behavior .. The question is
would be Trendkill's suggestion work?

Thanks for the help.. ill come back if this does not work..

GNY

On Jun 25, 11:59 am, Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> GNY <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >I only have the 1 router. I was under the impression that the vlans
> >could all be routed out through vlan 1 ports to the linksys, but your
> >statement makes it clear this won't work.

> No, not on a layer-2 switch. You could do VLAN trunk'ing, but I doubt
> the linksys supports vlan trunks.
>
> >as for the recommendation of plugging into 2 ports and not talking;
> >I'm not worried. I won't have anything plugged into vlan 1 anway. just
> >vlan 1 and vlan 2. I'm trying to separate a small home business and
> >home personal network; nothing major.

> One thing to note in Cisco switches. VLAN 1 is special. This is the
> default 'native' vlan, in which all traffic comes out untagged on VLAN 1.
>
> I don't think this affects you much at all in your setup, but it may.
>
> >if I wanted to; which I tried, how can I assign the switchports an ip?
> >I can't seem to do that.

> Get a layer-3 switch. A layer-2 switch isn't going to allow you.
>
> Or, add a router capable of doing VLAN trunking.

Given my configuration can I use different ip address ranges for each
vlan?

Example:
vlan 100 = 192.168.1.0/24
vlan 200 = 10.1.25.0/24

Trendkill

On Jun 26, 11:21 am, GNY <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jun 25, 11:59 am, Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > GNY <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > >I only have the 1 router. I was under the impression that the vlans
> > >could all be routed out through vlan 1 ports to the linksys, but your
> > >statement makes it clear this won't work.

> > No, not on a layer-2 switch. You could do VLAN trunk'ing, but I doubt
> > the linksys supports vlan trunks.

> > >as for the recommendation of plugging into 2 ports and not talking;
> > >I'm not worried. I won't have anything plugged into vlan 1 anway. just
> > >vlan 1 and vlan 2. I'm trying to separate a small home business and
> > >home personal network; nothing major.

> > One thing to note in Cisco switches. VLAN 1 is special. This is the
> > default 'native' vlan, in which all traffic comes out untagged on VLAN 1.

> > I don't think this affects you much at all in your setup, but it may.

> > >if I wanted to; which I tried, how can I assign the switchports an ip?
> > >I can't seem to do that.

> > Get a layer-3 switch. A layer-2 switch isn't going to allow you.

> > Or, add a router capable of doing VLAN trunking.

> Given my configuration can I use different ip address ranges for each
> vlan?
>
> Example:
> vlan 100 = 192.168.1.0/24
> vlan 200 = 10.1.25.0/24

Technically you probably have to in the routing world, as you can't
assign the same range to two different interfaces on the same router.
And even if you could, it would not be advised unless you know exactly
what you are doing and what is what. I won't say there is 'no' reason
to do it, but there would be very few, if any, reasons to have two
different vlans with the same address ranges.

GNY

On Jun 26, 11:25 am, Trendkill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jun 26, 11:21 am, GNY <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > No, not on a layer-2 switch. You could do VLAN trunk'ing, but I doubt
> > > the linksys supports vlan trunks.

> > > One thing to note in Cisco switches. VLAN 1 is special. This is the
> > > default 'native' vlan, in which all traffic comes out untagged on VLAN 1.

> > > I don't think this affects you much at all in your setup, but it may.

> > > Get a layer-3 switch. A layer-2 switch isn't going to allow you.

> > > Or, add a router capable of doing VLAN trunking.

> > Given my configuration can I use different ip address ranges for each
> > vlan?

> > Example:
> > vlan 100 = 192.168.1.0/24
> > vlan 200 = 10.1.25.0/24

> Technically you probably have to in the routing world, as you can't
> assign the same range to two different interfaces on the same router.
> And even if you could, it would not be advised unless you know exactly
> what you are doing and what is what. I won't say there is 'no' reason
> to do it, but there would be very few, if any, reasons to have two
> different vlans with the same address ranges.

Hey Trendkill ..

Thanks for answering my question.

I tried plugging each of the vlan ports 100&200 into a port on the
linksys switch and i got a native vlan mismatch error first and oddly
both vlans were able to talk to eachother. I'm guessing due to the
linksys ports not being vlan enabled it puts them all into one vlan/
network.

So I think overall i need a router capable of doing the vlans. due to
my example of what i did and wanting to use differnet ip ranges. the
router is set to use say 192.168.1.0/24 and isnt aware of any clients
using the 10.1.25.0/24 address and the switch is configured with a
192.168.1.0/24 ip address.

I think through trial and error i have figured it out. I do have 2
other linksys routers that i could use to work my way around, by
plugging them in after the witch, assigning the appropriate lan
addresses and plugging into the linksys router going into the cable
modem, but then again; these networks would then be all on the same
network theoretically due to the top level router not capable of doing
vlans or seperating ports. so you could change the ip of one of the
workstations on one vlan to the ip of the other and might be able to
access that network.. maybe im wrong here..

hmm .. ebay has some great cheap devices .. what would you recommend
to achieve what im looking to do?

What im looking to do is more then what I have posted here. I would
like to use like a 2514 to connect to my cable modem and have those 2
vlan networks on different network ranges.

Simple enough I know how to work with the devices (routers and
switches) fully, but designing and the architecture is where i fall
short.

Suggestions on devices?

Thanks again..

GNY