Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Transfering BT number to Sipgate or other VoIP ?

Transfering BT number to Sipgate or other VoIP ?

Martin²

I have just relinquished my BT fax No. (as part of a plan to move away from
BT)
and would like to transfer the number to Sipgate or other VoIP.
Sipgate help pages still (?) say that it can't be done, but I thought that
it is now possible ?
Anyone in the know ?
TIA
Regards,
Martin

BC

Martin² wrote:
> I have just relinquished my BT fax No. (as part of a plan to move away from
> BT)
> and would like to transfer the number to Sipgate or other VoIP.
> Sipgate help pages still (?) say that it can't be done, but I thought that
> it is now possible ?
> Anyone in the know ?
> TIA
> Regards,
> Martin

Voip.co.uk can port in from BT, my number ported last Friday. There is
no charge for the port but if you want your BT number as your outgoing
Caller ID they charge £5 + VAT to set that up.

News Reader

"Martin²" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:467f13d2$0$8710$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have just relinquished my BT fax No. (as part of a plan to move away from
>BT)
> and would like to transfer the number to Sipgate or other VoIP.
> Sipgate help pages still (?) say that it can't be done, but I thought that
> it is now possible ?
> Anyone in the know ?
> TIA
> Regards,
> Martin

Hi,

I hope you haven't over relinquished it... the line must still be active
when the port takes place (as I understand it - and this should then cancel
the line the port came from but this part is not guaranteed).

Best wishes,

News Reader

Jono

After serious thinking Martin² wrote :
> I have just relinquished my BT fax No. (as part of a plan to move away from
> BT)
> and would like to transfer the number to Sipgate or other VoIP.
> Sipgate help pages still (?) say that it can't be done, but I thought that it
> is now possible ?
> Anyone in the know ?
> TIA
> Regards,
> Martin

When you say you have relinquished the number - what exactly do you
mean?

In order to take the number to somewhere like voip.co.uk, the line must
be working & have no pending cease orders for them to be able to
process a port.

Furthermore, I would suggest keeping it as a BT line if you want to be
able to continue sending & receiving faxes on this number.

Martin²

Had a response from Sipgate, it's still NOT possible
I thought they are getting their No.s from Magrathea who can get ex BT No.s
, ah well..
Regards,
Martin

Thomas Kenyon

Martin² wrote:
> Had a response from Sipgate, it's still NOT possible
> I thought they are getting their No.s from Magrathea who can get ex BT No.s
> , ah well..
> Regards,
> Martin

AFAIK, magrathea still can't port BT numbers (am I wrong?), voip.co.uk
resell Gamma Telecom, who can.

(Gradwell also use Gamma Telecom for porting numbers but don't use them
for their regular geographic numbers).

Ivor Jones

"Thomas Kenyon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:N5koi.207$(E-Mail Removed)
> Martin² wrote:
> > Had a response from Sipgate, it's still NOT possible
> > I thought they are getting their No.s from Magrathea
> > who can get ex BT No.s , ah well..
> > Regards,
> > Martin
> >

> AFAIK, magrathea still can't port BT numbers (am I
> wrong?), voip.co.uk resell Gamma Telecom, who can.
>
> (Gradwell also use Gamma Telecom for porting numbers but
> don't use them for their regular geographic numbers).

As an aside, is it possible to port a Gradwell number to Sipgate..? I have
a single line account with them that hasn't seen much use in recent months
so it seems silly to keep paying the monthly fee. The number comes from
Magrathea, in fact it's only a few digits away from another Sipgate number
I have, so I can't see why it wouldn't couldn't be done.

Ivor