Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless without the Internet

Wireless without the Internet

=?Utf-8?B?bXJpY2g=?=

This is a follow on to an earlier question. Are there any wireless routers
that can be setup without the Internet? The person I'm setting this for
doesn't have the Internet nor do they plan on getting it. They just want to
share a printer. The setup will have to be very basic. Thanks.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
What is called a Wireless Cable/Router is actually a combo unit of 4 ports
Switch, Access Point (the Wireless part), and Routing circuit.
The Switch and the Access Point are on the private side and are used for
Internal (private) Networking. If you connected the Internet to the WAN
(Internet) side the private Network get the Internet connection too (the
Routing circuits Route the Internet to the private side).
In short ,Yes, Cable/DSL Routers can be used to form a wired/wireless
network regardless of the existence, or None existence, of an Internet
connection.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"mrich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is a follow on to an earlier question. Are there any wireless routers
> that can be setup without the Internet? The person I'm setting this for
> doesn't have the Internet nor do they plan on getting it. They just want
> share a printer. The setup will have to be very basic. Thanks.

Justin Brown - SYNACS

On Jun 24, 5:51 pm, mrich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> This is a follow on to an earlier question. Are there any wireless routers
> that can be setup without the Internet? The person I'm setting this for
> doesn't have the Internet nor do they plan on getting it. They just want to
> share a printer. The setup will have to be very basic. Thanks.

You don't need a router to connect two wireless devices together. What
you need is either (A) a Wireless Access Point (WAP) or (B) an "ad-
hoc" setup where the two wireless stations communicate directly with
each other, in a point-to-point fashion.

You don't need additional hardware to run an ad-hoc link, although the
potential for performance and range on your link will be reduced in
this configuration.

Jim

"mrich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is a follow on to an earlier question. Are there any wireless routers
> that can be setup without the Internet? The person I'm setting this for
> doesn't have the Internet nor do they plan on getting it. They just want
> share a printer. The setup will have to be very basic. Thanks.

Of course you can setup the router without it being connected to the
internet. It is easier to connect one computer to the router via an
ethernet port for setup and management.

Jim