Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Could C each other, but could not connect

Could C each other, but could not connect

vijaiakumar@gmail.com

Hi.,

I have 2 laptops (1 is Latitude D620, 2 is Latitude C610) provided by
my office to research on ad-hoc network.

D620 has 1390 WLAN Mini-Card.
C610 has 3COM 3CRPAG175 Wireless LAN PC Card.

(Don't ask, why you have this configuration. It was there like that,
my office seniors want to have like that.)

I created an ad-hoc network in both the laptops with same SSID, in
channel 1. And I could able to see each other machines in another.
And When I click connect, it's getting connected. I could see it both
the laptops saying the wireless connected with 'ScotNG' (the SSID).
Also, the signal is excellent.

But, the problem is, when I try to access the other machine, it says
"The network location cannot be reached".

When, I ping it says "Ping request could not find host <machine name>"

Guys, Basically, I am not a network guy. I am damn new for this kinda
work. Pls. Help me...

vijaiakumar@gmail.com

Hi all,

I set Ip address on both the laptops

D620:

IP - 192.168.8.135
subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
default gateway - 192.168.8.1
dns server - 192.168.8.1

C610:

IP - 192.168.8.158
subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
default gateway - 192.168.8.1
dns server - 192.168.8.1

Still, i have the same issue, like, it says it got connected, but I
could not access other laptop.

when I ping, this time, it showed me like 'Request timed out'

I feel like getting close to the trap, but revolving around ...help me
pls....

On Jun 24, 7:23 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi.,
>
> I have 2 laptops (1 is Latitude D620, 2 is Latitude C610) provided by
> my office to research on ad-hoc network.
>
> D620 has 1390 WLAN Mini-Card.
> C610 has 3COM 3CRPAG175 Wireless LAN PC Card.
>
> (Don't ask, why you have this configuration. It was there like that,
> my office seniors want to have like that.)
>
> I created an ad-hoc network in both the laptops with same SSID, in
> channel 1. And I could able to see each other machines in another.
> And When I click connect, it's getting connected. I could see it both
> the laptops saying the wireless connected with 'ScotNG' (the SSID).
> Also, the signal is excellent.
>
> But, the problem is, when I try to access the other machine, it says
> "The network location cannot be reached".
>
> When, I ping it says "Ping request could not find host <machine name>"
>
> Guys, Basically, I am not a network guy. I am damn new for this kinda
> work. Pls. Help me...

Mr. Arnold

> I created an ad-hoc network in both the laptops with same SSID, in
> channel 1. And I could able to see each other machines in another.
> And When I click connect, it's getting connected. I could see it both
> the laptops saying the wireless connected with 'ScotNG' (the SSID).
> Also, the signal is excellent.

Ad-hoc wireless networking and the XP O/S, if you're using the XP O/S is
suspect to say the least about it.

You may also want to post to alt.internet.wireless for more help.

Walter Mautner

> Hi all,
>
> I set Ip address on both the laptops
>
> D620:
>
> IP - 192.168.8.135
> subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
> default gateway - 192.168.8.1
> dns server - 192.168.8.1
>

> C610:
>
> IP - 192.168.8.158
> subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
> default gateway - 192.168.8.1
> dns server - 192.168.8.1
>
> Still, i have the same issue, like, it says it got connected, but I
> could not access other laptop.
>
> when I ping, this time, it showed me like 'Request timed out'
>
> I feel like getting close to the trap, but revolving around ...help me
> pls....

A wireless AP or router isn't that expensive, and it allows for encryption
(wpa is a must-have).
Now "just for a test" ... did you allow the counterpart IPs incoming and
ICMP in your (XP) firewalls?